Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263398 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #570 on: June 30, 2011, 04:23:45 pm »

Yep, without Win95 compatibility it doesn't seem like it wants to crash anymore on the @ screen.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 30, 2011, 04:33:03 pm »

Yep, without Win95 compatibility it doesn't seem like it wants to crash anymore on the @ screen.

That have been causeing most of the crashes since the first SDL build, the newest SDL build eliminated it pretty much
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 30, 2011, 04:34:39 pm »

Makes me wonder just why windows 95 mode crashes it. Do you have any idea why head? Out of interest?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 30, 2011, 04:37:57 pm »

Makes me wonder just why windows 95 mode crashes it. Do you have any idea why head? Out of interest?
Hmm nope.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 30, 2011, 04:43:09 pm »

Okay so I found a saiga-12. Uhh... These things load per magazine. Not per shell. I think this needs fixing.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 30, 2011, 04:45:25 pm »

Okay so I found a saiga-12. Uhh... These things load per magazine. Not per shell. I think this needs fixing.

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saiga-12

Or do you mean they use shells and not mags?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 30, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »

They use magazines to load, but fire shells. The picture on the right there clearly shows a magazine on that.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 30, 2011, 04:59:38 pm »

Yeah. So reloading it should be faster than other shotguns. I still want one of those for myself honestly.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 30, 2011, 05:24:20 pm »

I have finali compiled the game on ubuntu and a Virtual box but i have a question: every time i want to play i have to use the command line ./cataclysm ??

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 30, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »

I've just pushed a big update--autosaves!  The game will save on the half-hour, and saves are deleted upon death, not upon load.  Gender is saved properly, too.

Yes, Saiga-12s are magazine-loaded.  Until now, the game has been hard-coded to make any shotgun load by the cartridge.  I will change this shortly.

From the start, I've coded cataclysm with tile support in mind, and hopefully only a couple small files will have to be replaced to create a tiles version.  I'll look into libraries for that kind of thing, and try to produce a proof-of-concept without art.

For those interested in a "realistic" mode, with only "classic" zombies:
This is a very very easy change to make.  Open up mongroupdef.cpp, and go to line 18, where it says "mcat_zombie".  This is where the list of all monsters considered to be "zombies" is defined.  You can delete any monster you want from a list, and it won't spawn any more.
While I could release a patch for this (and encourage one of you to), I won't; partly because I have better stuff to do, and partly because I want to encourage you guys to open up the source.  A lot of it was written with editability in mind, even for those with no experience with programming whatsoever.  There's even step-by-step instructions for adding new items and monsters, found in "code_doc/EDITING".  I'll expand this file to explain other things, too.

Also, I find the game to be much more interesting with more kinds of zombies--spitters force you to re-route a little, skeletons make ranged fighters have to melee a little, etc.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 30, 2011, 06:07:31 pm »

Also, could you reduce zombie speed a bit? I'm assuming these are slow, Shawn of the Dead style shamblers, but at the moment you can't really outrun them and they often overtake me when I use a single painkiller. BTW, I posted a long suggestion list a few pages back in case you didn't see it.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 30, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »

Also, could you reduce zombie speed a bit? I'm assuming these are slow, Shawn of the Dead style shamblers, but at the moment you can't really outrun them and they often overtake me when I use a single painkiller. BTW, I posted a long suggestion list a few pages back in case you didn't see it.

Their current speed is the result of a long balancing process--I might slow them just a little, but not by very much.  They're closer to the gas zombies from Dead Rising 2, really--a healthy person can outrun them, but if you're wounded, stimulants are very helpful.

As for your starting inventory suggestion, I'm working on making classes a part of character creation--several pre-apocalypse "jobs," each with a set of skills and equipment.  Right now starting skills are a waste of points for experienced players, and I think that open-ended equipment selection, while cool and infinitely customizable, would also be a slight pain in the ass.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 30, 2011, 06:41:24 pm »

A slight bug. When selecting a premade character, occasionally they take 4 traits and 4 defects. I noticed it specifically with the Survivalist premade, but haven't done extensive testing with the rest.

Edit: Oh, and I can replicate the @ screen crash, sort of. On the version before this latest one, the precompiled one, if you hit ESC instead of q to leave the @ screen, it doesn't respond afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:43:51 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 30, 2011, 07:07:15 pm »

Their current speed is the result of a long balancing process--I might slow them just a little, but not by very much.  They're closer to the gas zombies from Dead Rising 2, really--a healthy person can outrun them, but if you're wounded, stimulants are very helpful.

As for your starting inventory suggestion, I'm working on making classes a part of character creation--several pre-apocalypse "jobs," each with a set of skills and equipment.  Right now starting skills are a waste of points for experienced players, and I think that open-ended equipment selection, while cool and infinitely customizable, would also be a slight pain in the ass.

I Smell Deon preparing for his next megaproject.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 777