Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263305 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #690 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:57 am »

How do we get backtraces on head's Windows version to report these crashes?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 01, 2011, 11:31:34 am »

I think gdb (g++ compiler debugger) has a windows version as well, so grab that I'd assume.

See:
http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/GDB_on_Windows.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:35:04 am by GlyphGryph »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 01, 2011, 11:54:21 am »

NPCs spam you with debug messages because they're new.  Those debug messages are a way for me to get some insight on what the NPC is doing.  Remember, the game is in an alpha state right now, and lots of it is geared towards helping development--NOT towards being fun/easy to play.

Aqizzar, I reccomend, to get away from zombies early on...

Carry as little as possible. Avoid backpacks at first, they slow you down quite a bit, and travel light until you get someplace safe.

Get some rocks - even as a non-combat character, ammo is everywhere for throwing them and hurting a zombie slows it down a bit. They also make halfway decent melee weapons.

Find a chokepoint and a better melee weapon, preferably a house with a room that has a single window and door and a nice blunt weapon. You can get 2x4s from knocking down doors, too! Mark this house on your map with a convenient note, and set up a knew one every other block or so. Lead the zombies through the window, and then wail on them as they climb through. Flee through the door if things get to hot. Since you climbed in through the window, that's where your scent trail will go, so the zombies will highly prioritize heading in the same way. When they are all dead, butcher their corpses for practice and to avoid necromantic death next time you need to retreat back. ^_^

That sort of strategy should see you through the first couple days, and hopefully by then you'll have gained some more options.

Backpacks shouldn't slow you down at all, except when swimming.  They do make melee combat more awkward and slow, however.

Zombies will try to get in through a window if they see you through the window--you don't have to climb through it yourself.

And yes, if an NPC would have caused your game to freeze (or if they get close to this), their brain explodes.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 01, 2011, 12:06:23 pm »

Is there a way to increase an attribute or are they constant? Even temporarily, as I need INT for them books.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 01, 2011, 12:11:49 pm »

Okay, yeah, backpacks seem to be fine for running. Still best to drop them before the fighting bit though, and if you're wearing additional stuff on your torso that actually provides protection, the encumbrance can kill.

And I meant climb in through the window because you really don't want the zombies following you through the door, since that's going to be your escape route! And they will if you went in through the door!

Whales, are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still getting caught in tons of infinite NPC loops too, bluhhhhh. This character is awesome too, I don't want to lose him to that!
Edit: Woot, savescumming worked! ^_^
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:14:07 pm by GlyphGryph »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 01, 2011, 12:19:49 pm »

Is there a way to increase an attribute or are they constant? Even temporarily, as I need INT for them books.

Much like real life, abusing caffeine, cigarettes or stimulants such as adderall will make studying easier (by boosting your Int).  There are ways to permanently increase stats, but it's hard to do.

Okay, yeah, backpacks seem to be fine for running. Still best to drop them before the fighting bit though, and if you're wearing additional stuff on your torso that actually provides protection, the encumbrance can kill.

And I meant climb in through the window because you really don't want the zombies following you through the door, since that's going to be your escape route! And they will if you went in through the door!

Whales, are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still getting caught in tons of infinite NPC loops too, bluhhhhh. This character is awesome too, I don't want to lose him to that!
Edit: Woot, savescumming worked! ^_^

If you go in through the door, then stand behind the window so zombies can see you, the zombies will try to go through the window themselves.

And yes to your spoiler question, but it's not coded yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »

Whales, a horde of zombies are unlikely to willingly go from "right behind you" to "conveniently on the other side of a window", and any zombie that can't directly see you or who spawns in the doorward direction will following the scent trail through the door. And when you're dealing with a bunch, that is likely! No, going in through the window and out through the door is definitely the safest bet, in my experience.
Also:*CR-ASH*
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x081956e8 in item (this=0xbfdb371c, it=0x8f15e78, turn=7245) at item.cpp:36y 1
36     | if (it->is_gun()) {pon: flashlight (off) (100) 
#0  0x081956e8 in item (this=0xbfdb371c, it=0x8f15e78, turn=7245) at item.cpp:36
#1  0x0814238a in game::unload (this=0xbfdb3da4) at game.cpp:4399
#2  0x0815272a in game::get_input (this=0xbfdb3da4) at game.cpp:989
#3  0x081547de in game::do_turn (this=0xbfdb3da4) at game.cpp:659
#4  0x08255173 in main () at main.cpp:25

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 01, 2011, 12:30:58 pm »

Whales, a horde of zombies are unlikely to willingly go from "right behind you" to "conveniently on the other side of a window", and any zombie that can't directly see you or who spawns in the doorward direction will following the scent trail through the door. And when you're dealing with a bunch, that is likely! No, going in through the window and out through the door is definitely the safest bet, in my experience.
Also:*CR-ASH*
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x081956e8 in item (this=0xbfdb371c, it=0x8f15e78, turn=7245) at item.cpp:36y 1
36     | if (it->is_gun()) {pon: flashlight (off) (100) 
#0  0x081956e8 in item (this=0xbfdb371c, it=0x8f15e78, turn=7245) at item.cpp:36
#1  0x0814238a in game::unload (this=0xbfdb3da4) at game.cpp:4399
#2  0x0815272a in game::get_input (this=0xbfdb3da4) at game.cpp:989
#3  0x081547de in game::do_turn (this=0xbfdb3da4) at game.cpp:659
#4  0x08255173 in main () at main.cpp:25

Ah, well yes, I suppose I was talking about if the mob of zombies is a good half-dozen tiles behind you.
Were you trying to unload a wished-for gun?  Wished-for items are somewhat buggy sometimes.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 01, 2011, 12:33:44 pm »

Whales, problem: gyroscopic stabilizers decrease accuracy by 3 instead of increasing it.

Are you sure about this?  Pretty sure it doesn't.
It says "To-hit bonus -3".

Silencers also say "To-hit bonus +2".

Unless they work the opposite way (why would they?) in which bonuses are actually penalties, I'm pretty sure they're causing the opposite effect they should.

Something wierd just happened. Also, Windows SDL 1.3.2
So, this NPC basically first shouted at me at afar to wait up. After I found her, she wanted to rob me, and I complied by dropping my knife.
Once she got to me and started taking my stuff, I took back my knife and attacked her.
Above occured afterwards. Srsly, what?

(Also, what's with the gazillion DEBUG messages with the NPCs?)
Heh, the time that kind of thing happened I shot first and killed the NPC in one hit. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 01, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »

Whales, I was trying to unload a flashlight, wanted the batteries. Wasn't wished for, just found.

Also, I just experienced the true fury of a storm!

SO COOL. HURTS SO GOOD.

And then I died, but it was honestly my own fault. So sad. That was a great character.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:37:54 pm by GlyphGryph »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 01, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

It says "To-hit bonus -3".

Silencers also say "To-hit bonus +2".

Unless they work the opposite way (why would they?) in which bonuses are actually penalties, I'm pretty sure they're causing the opposite effect they should.

All items have melee combat stats displayed at the top; "Bash: 0   Cut: 0  To-hit bonus: -3" means that the item does no extra bashing damage, no cutting damage, and is more awkward to hit with than just bare fists.  These stats have no effect on the gun you attach the mod to.

Whales, I was trying to unload a flashlight, wanted the batteries. Wasn't wished for, just found.

Also, I just experienced the true fury of a storm!

SO COOL. HURTS SO GOOD.

And then I died, but it was honestly my own fault. So sad. That was a great character.

Hmm, okay.  I'll try to test it out, but I've never had that happen before.  Any chance the flashlight might've been wished for in a previous game? :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 01, 2011, 01:09:09 pm »

Nope, none.

Also, people - SKIRTS! They make you run even faster than being pantless (somehow)! Why did I only just discover this!?

God, my current guy is such a hobo...

Skitzo Addictive Drunken Master Savant
Hoodie+skirt+sneakers+fingerless gloves+baseball cap

The pockets of his hoodie are full of booze, and he has a backpack full of booze for long trips, and he's always Trashed. Fun times so far. ^_^

Edit:
I died I guess? I put on a fur hat, and then went to sleep, and it said I was overheating so I tried to take it off, then I died.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:36:43 pm by GlyphGryph »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 01, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

Okay, one more question.
How do I open manhole covers? I've tried Open and Examine, and just going down doesn't work either.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 01, 2011, 02:02:51 pm »

You need a crowbar.

Also, fuck skeletons man.  Melee combat is too dangerous to have fast enemies you can't shoot running around.  Most of my deaths are because one of those bastards bogged me down while more zombies were coming.

And yes, I was all stimmed up, at 120+ speed.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 01, 2011, 02:05:35 pm »

Yeah, skeletons suck royally. You can spend so much ammo and almost never ever hit them, even if they're only two squares away. Melee is pretty much the only way to kill them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 777