Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1262997 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #900 on: July 03, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »

So how do you change which buttons do what? For some reason it seems that movement isn't properly mapped to my number pad. Also is there any way to increase the starting char gen points?

Yeah, the movement buttons weren't mapped correctly to mine either.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #901 on: July 03, 2011, 02:41:25 pm »

Fred: I don't think you're supposed to ever become a superhuman though. Savescumming to get all good implants isn't the way the game is meant to be played. Chances are you can get one or two tops, and stick with those.

You guys are waay ahead in this game, I've only managed get to midnight once. Had to sleep from injuries during the day, so now it's 12:30am and I'm wide awake, and hell of afraid to go out! :P

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 03, 2011, 02:49:17 pm »

So how do you change which buttons do what? For some reason it seems that movement isn't properly mapped to my number pad. Also is there any way to increase the starting char gen points?
1. Stupid question, but did you have Num Lock on?
2. Cheat Engine.

1. I've tried with num lock on and off. It just isn't mapped properly.
2. And how do you do that? ~?

3. Where's the save file stored at? I'm looking at the readme but for one theres no exe (putty?) and even then I can find the mentioned file amongst the source code.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 03, 2011, 03:25:17 pm »

2. Cheat Engine.

3. Where's the save file stored at? I'm looking at the readme but for one theres no exe (putty?) and even then I can find the mentioned file amongst the source code.

It's mapped properly.  PuTTY has a bug (or maybe a "feature") where you must press ctrl+numlock to use the numpad.  If you are using PuTTY then the save files are stored on the server you're playing on, otherwise it's in "save/charactername.sav".

ok, forgot to mention one of my finest ( or worst?  :P ) ideas.

We got implants that make humans into superhumans
We got mutations that make humans into superhumans
why don't we have.. a Nanosuit? or more like, exosuit?
get absurdly high electronics, mechanics and bunch, get absurdly high tech materials
build your own space engineer rig, or nanosuit, or exosuit
then go rampaging.

in short: HOLY SHIT

Exosuits are a good idea.  Probably will have to be found in high-level dungeons, or crafted from hard-to-find materials.

Well, didn't think whales would actually read my post.
as It happened, I'm going to throw in some more ideas in my head.

-More canned food. canned foods are strangely rare. Been looting around a lot of places with my superhuman cyborg Wolverine, and hasn't found THAT many canned food compared to all the bags of
 beef jerkies and pretzels.

-More variety of places to loot. Fast food chains (Tacos!) Pawn shops.. etc.

-Difficulty adjusting. look at Crawl, Stonesoup, ADOM, CoQ. most roguelikes have steady, but unforgiving difficulty rise as you level up. But in Cataclysm, It felt like the game's offering you everything it's got from day 1. I know there are several zombies that don't show up in day 1, but what I'm saying is rather, the amount of zombies. special zombies can be a pain in the neck on new characters, but as you proceed and become superstrong, they are just piece of cake if you know what you are doing. game gets boring and loose pretty fast from this moment. well if you are intending to implement advanced wall and floor construction, I'm sure Cataclysm would go exactly the same way where Unreal World went. game gets even more lame and boring in late game, as you could just build a fort and gank everyone you see. so the players will be/are either frustrated as they die over and over and over again in early game, or they complain it's too easy. I'm not sure how you want this game to be, Whales. But I'm very sure You're ultimate goal in Cataclysm is neither UnrealWorld-esque, nor Crawl-esque. But rather something more hybrid. We all know this is still an alpha state, and I'm very not intending to lecture you, and I'm not, This game will have to be armed up with late-game contents sometime in the future. If you need some ideas on that, I'm sure people here would ba very eager to help.

Maybe some sort of Black-ops showing up in late game? ( Well Black ops to eliminate every living thing in the city is kind of absurd. possibly to retrieve something in great value. which players can loot.  :D) or Massive, Massive swarm of zombies, or rather Horde shoing up?

well this is just an idea, and if any of you guys feel bad about my post, I'll edit the part you don't like out.

Canned food is supposed to have been looted en masse already by other survivors.  I can up its generation a little.

Pawn shops are a good idea, especially as a place to find misc electronics.  Fast food... will mostly contain rotten stuff, not so useful.

You make a good point about the difficult in Cataclysm, and others have made similar points.  From the start, I've considered the difficulty to be modeled more after an FPS than a roguelike.  Initially, the game was an attempt to make a roguelike version of Left 4 Dead--evident in the presence of the first non-zombie monster, the boomer.  Of course, things got out of hand and it turned into more of a sandboxy game.  But I will be retooling the difficulty in the future, particularly with the rate of enemy generation.  Of course, if I make enemies gen slower early on, I'll have to increase the difficulty in other ways--as skilled players already find the beginning of the game too easy.

Jobs will replace the Skills tab in character creation.  Jobs will ONLY affect your starting equipment (to a very limited degree) and your starting skills (maybe 4 levels of skills all told).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 03, 2011, 03:31:46 pm »

My humble opinion is that difficulty as far as monster spawning, loot-able items and random events in apocalypse sandbox game should be totally random or at least area based.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 03, 2011, 03:35:27 pm »

Has anyone else found a chainsaw? Seriously this thing is badass. It owns everything I swing it at and makes SUCH a mess.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 03, 2011, 03:38:39 pm »

Is it possible to craft a raincoat?

Looking on the wiki it looks like a no

EDIT:

Windows Download: https://github.com/headswe/Cataclysm
Press download

Quinnr: Could you add the windows github page link to the thread?

Will do! Thanks for helping out :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 03, 2011, 03:38:59 pm »

2. Cheat Engine.

It's mapped properly.  PuTTY has a bug (or maybe a "feature") where you must press ctrl+numlock to use the numpad.  If you are using PuTTY then the save files are stored on the server you're playing on, otherwise it's in "save/charactername.sav".

Hmm interesting... Then how do you play this without using PuTTY?

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 03, 2011, 03:43:12 pm »

2. Cheat Engine.

Hmm interesting... Then how do you play this without using PuTTY?

Well if you are a windows users you can find the latest bin here
https://github.com/headswe/Cataclysm
or if you are a linux user you can find the latest bin here
http://whoopshop.com/cataclysm/?C=M;O=D
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 03, 2011, 03:46:41 pm »

My humble opinion is that difficulty as far as monster spawning, loot-able items and random events in apocalypse sandbox game should be totally random or at least area based.

I'm inclined to agree, but I understand how this may be frustrating to players expected a typical gaming experience, where difficulty begins as easy, and slowly ramps up to difficult.

Has anyone else found a chainsaw? Seriously this thing is badass. It owns everything I swing it at and makes SUCH a mess.

But it's very slow to hit with, periodically makes noise, and requires occasional refilling with gasoline to work.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 03, 2011, 03:48:50 pm »

I know it's slow... But so are zombies. Perfect match huh? :P Yeah I know it's not perfect but It's fun to play with.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 03, 2011, 03:50:59 pm »

I saw one once but didn't take it.  I didn't plan on getting into that kind of brawl.
Shoes...

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 03, 2011, 04:16:07 pm »

I've got another teensy suggestion. (I do tend to suggest a lot, don't I?)

Bunker Gear, AKA The thing firefighters wear.
A heavy suit of fire-resistant materials. Would quickly encumber you, thus making fighting a bit clumsy, but would make you pretty much invulnerable against fires.
The suit could also efficiently protect against weaker attacks, but then again, at the cost of speed.

The suit would be perfect for those who tend to play with fire. Lighters and molotov cocktails are all fair game once you're the Fire God.

Obviously found at the local Fire Station, unless you prefer not to have too many different buildings. I guess a Police Station could hold some too that way.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:18:34 pm by FunctionZero »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 03, 2011, 04:17:51 pm »

Alright, so I tried a Schizophrenic round.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 03, 2011, 04:28:46 pm »

I think a fire station could be cool. If anything so we could get fire axes. Hehe.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 777