Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1262976 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1065 on: July 05, 2011, 01:15:20 pm »

Hmm... is my character suppose to be in pain when 1) fully healed and 2) pain resistant?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 05, 2011, 01:29:32 pm »

Hmm... is my character suppose to be in pain when 1) fully healed and 2) pain resistant?

I think disease can cause pain. Along with perhaps poison, and a few other minor afflictions.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 05, 2011, 01:37:42 pm »

Yes.  Pain lasts for a while, even if your injuries have healed themselves.  Resting away a day should get rid of most if not all of it.

I realize that resting tends to take a while.  I'm working on some optimizations to make resting a faster process.

Whales/Head:  Do you want Windows version backtraces posted here, PMed to you two, or something else?

PMed or emailed to me (fivedozenwhales at gmail.com) would be best.  Though if your backtrace mentions "pdcurses," then it's probably a Windows-specific issue and I'll be clueless :P

Shit.

I think the lighter needs some kind of prompt. Something like "are you sure you want to burn your house down?"

A single miss-click, and it's all gone. :'(

I trust the player to know when using a lighter is a bad idea.  Don't play with matches, kids!  Fires are for outdoors, away from your home!

So, what defines death? I mean, I've cured the fungal infection but I still end up randomly getting game-overs as I'm walking. Bug, or disease?

Head HP <= 0, Body HP <= 0, drug overdose, I think that's it.  If none of these are the case, then it's a bug.

A question: using the map of the city the character is teleported into the chosen building, even if it has not been explored yet. Is a debug option or is a feature?

It would be handy if the game showed only the comestibles if I press 'E' or only the tool list if I press 'a'. Because now I always have to scroll through the (long) menu in order to find the right item.

Also, wearing a shirt, a rain cloak and a backpack encuber heavily the torso. Isn't it too much? I mean, I agree that the torso is encumbered, but not so much.

The teleportation is a debug feature, and using it is cheating.  But a great way to test some rarer areas for me!  In the future, this will probably be changed into some kind of "fast travel" tool, with the passage of time and the possibility of encountering monsters a threat.

I agree with you on only displaying relevant items (e.g. food for 'E', armor for 'W', etc).  It's on my todo list!

Torso encumbrance isn't that bad; it's only an issue for players who melee a lot.  In which case, a backpack may not be the best option!

Suggestion: Since sun glare is an actual effect, it seems almost criminal that there are no sunglasses.  Especially since you can get augmented vision, so then you can wear your sunglasses at night.

is possible to clean/reset/restart a world city map a the start of the game??

I just delete the folder and replace the game myself.  There's no option, but it's all stored in the "save" folder.

Oh man, sunglasses, duh!  I'll toss some in :P  Though right now, ski goggles provide great glare protection (this will be changed.)

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 05, 2011, 01:56:10 pm »

Yes.  Pain lasts for a while, even if your injuries have healed themselves.  Resting away a day should get rid of most if not all of it.

I realize that resting tends to take a while.  I'm working on some optimizations to make resting a faster process.

Hmm well makes sense, its difficult though considering the hordes that are always after you. Not to mention getting repeatedly woken up by asthma even after taking a puff from the inhaler. Perhaps I should be starting off with at least one point in dodge...

Suggestion: Since sun glare is an actual effect, it seems almost criminal that there are no sunglasses.  Especially since you can get augmented vision, so then you can wear your sunglasses at night.

Oh man, sunglasses, duh!  I'll toss some in :P  Though right now, ski goggles provide great glare protection (this will be changed.)

Changing the ski goggles to not give quite as much protection or removing it? Snow blindness is just as bad as bright sunny day blindness.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:39 pm »

I can no longer hunt for food. All my attacks now deal so much damage that there is nothing left to butcher. :<

I assume this is a bug?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:58 pm »

Shit.

I think the lighter needs some kind of prompt. Something like "are you sure you want to burn your house down?"

A single miss-click, and it's all gone. :'(

I trust the player to know when using a lighter is a bad idea.  Don't play with matches, kids!  Fires are for outdoors, away from your home!

I knew that it would burn my house down if I used it, but I didn't intentionally use it. I was trying to use my flashlight, when I hit 'I' instead of 'U'.

I'm just going to try to keep my lighter out of my inventory unless I really need it.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 05, 2011, 02:12:21 pm »

Also, I'm consistantly doing over 400 damage a strike with the wooden spear. ^_^

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1072 on: July 05, 2011, 02:31:33 pm »

Congratulations, you are now a Space Marine :D

Although I don't recall them using spears... still! Is this with the new nerfed version of melee combat?

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 05, 2011, 02:34:41 pm »

1.36a head windows

in top right section of map was walled in section no doors to get in, when I used the quick travel it said every thing was owned so I could not pick anything up. Met a NPC who told me to put hands up, I ignored him and hit him and then it crashed. It also regulary freezes solid in this area. "small laborato" displayed in purple/pink but no doors same for clinic and the owned flag on everything.

In a ant hill, I met a lot of ant lavea, shouldnt these show up on the kill windows ike the squirrles and other small thing do.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:40:36 pm by Lord Inquisitor »
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 05, 2011, 02:35:25 pm »

You might need to reset mapdata.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 05, 2011, 02:37:07 pm »

Oh god, I'm going to lose my awesome character. :<

Was trying to make a chitin armor (how long does this take? I've been crafting nonstop for three days straight!) and then DREADED INFINITE NPC LOOP!

Is there any way I can force kill the npc or edit the save data somehow to kill him?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 05, 2011, 02:56:06 pm »

No, its not an infinite loop, but when resting/sleeping/long crafting, its basically the same thing. What happens is every tick, you get 4 debug messages, so during a 1 hour craft, you get upwards ofmaybe 5000 messages you have to hit space for. If you get them while your sleeping, its even worse.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 05, 2011, 03:06:26 pm »

But time is not advancing AT ALL and I think I still have like 24 hours left of crafting here. D:

Is there nothing I can do?

Hmm... maybe I can change the code to make all NPCs instasplode...

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 05, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »

But time is not advancing AT ALL and I think I still have like 24 hours left of crafting here. D:

Is there nothing I can do?

Hmm... maybe I can change the code to make all NPCs instasplode...
Wouldn't it be infinitely easier to just delete the code that spawns them?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 05, 2011, 03:12:38 pm »

Unfortunately, the problem NPCs are already spawned. I should delete the spawn code too to prevent i happening again, though... do you know which line that is?

Also, is there any way to cancel crafting? NPCs are dealt with, but time still isn't advancing (though the autosave and save scumming indicates it might just not be updating properly)\

Okay, to prevent future crafting problems like this taking absurd amounts of time...

Whales, have the "Chitin Armor" be a multi-step process. Require the player to craft, individually, the pieces that will then be crafted into the armor. That way they aren't required to go starving and dehydrated to finish it.

Err... I think may character may be locked into crafting forever now, need to find a way to disable it damn it...
Oops, ruined the char.

Okay, moved stats and skills and equipment over to a different character... crafting this stupid armor resulted in a segfault though. GOD DAMN

Finally:
It constantly interrupts my crafting to tell me I'm tired unless I start tired. Meaning I need to wait a long time to get tired before I can even consider crafting this.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:38:28 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 777