Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263362 times)

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1125 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:07 pm »

Hey, Whales, will spawning ever be nerfed? I mean, at night, no matter how defended I am (Pits four-deep in front of a storefront, everything barricaded to maximum, blah blah blah) I always get stormed and killed by three and four zombies. It's even worse because if you're sleeping, creatures avoid traps and barricades anyway.

Damn, really?  I rarely have much of a problem with it, myself.  A few traps at chokepoints, a saferoom that's far from any doors or windows, board stuff up if you have the resources, and I'm good.  If no good safe place presents itself, a well-fed firepit works well.

Yeah, I eventually said 'To hell with it' and barricaded myself in with barricades 2-deep, pits 4-deep, barricaded windows, blah blah blah. Fast Zombies got through three pits and died after testing I did outside, so I considered it safe. Went to sleep, got woken up by two of them. Barricades were all intact.

Also, consider this my formal request for generators that you can hook up to any building to restore lights/keep milk/certain foods in fridges from rotting.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 05, 2011, 10:11:16 pm »

Sounds good on the army helmets.  2 seems reasonable, but I'm not quite sure--1 unit of volume is supposed to be about the size of an orange.

And yet 3 units of volume is an M4 clip.  I don't have a problem with it being arbitrary.  2 still sounds likely enough though.

Huh?  There's no clips in the game (other than extended clip and double clip, but those are 1 and 2 respectively).
But yeah, a unit of volume probably ranges from the size of a peach to the size of a grapefruit.  I guess.

Regarding generators, believe it or not but they'd be pretty hard to code into the game.  Pretty really hard.  Maybe one day folks, but don't expect it soon!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 05, 2011, 10:13:27 pm »

Sounds good on the army helmets.  2 seems reasonable, but I'm not quite sure--1 unit of volume is supposed to be about the size of an orange.

And yet 3 units of volume is an M4 clip.  I don't have a problem with it being arbitrary.  2 still sounds likely enough though.

Huh?  There's no clips in the game (other than extended clip and double clip, but those are 1 and 2 respectively).
But yeah, a unit of volume probably ranges from the size of a peach to the size of a grapefruit.  I guess.

Regarding generators, believe it or not but they'd be pretty hard to code into the game.  Pretty really hard.  Maybe one day folks, but don't expect it soon!
Disregarding that, is the AI supposed to act like that? Avoid barricades, ignore traps, etcetera?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:54 pm »

Also, consider this my formal request for generators that you can hook up to any building to restore lights/keep milk/certain foods in fridges from rotting.
>implying I didn't do that first :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 05, 2011, 10:29:09 pm »

Duane, I can't say I've ever had the problem you've described... BUT, if its really an issue, find an area swarming with ants and set up a safehouse there. They can't break through windows or barricades, so its a lot safer.

At the very least, make the safehouse at the very edge of the city in as isolated a house as possible.

DON'T make a safehouse anywhere near city center or a dense suburban area. Waking up to 30+zeds, 2 hulks, 4 brutes, 3 fast zombies, 2 lightning zombies, 3 necromancers and a half dozen spitters is NOT FUN.

I killed them all, of course, but it was a lot of work you know?

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:47 pm »

Duane, I can't say I've ever had the problem you've described... BUT, if its really an issue, find an area swarming with ants and set up a safehouse there. They can't break through windows or barricades, so its a lot safer.

At the very least, make the safehouse at the very edge of the city in as isolated a house as possible.

DON'T make a safehouse anywhere near city center or a dense suburban area. Waking up to 30+zeds, 2 hulks, 4 brutes, 3 fast zombies, 2 lightning zombies, 3 necromancers and a half dozen spitters is NOT FUN.

I killed them all, of course, but it was a lot of work you know?
I actually had a safehouse set up above an ant mound in the subway on the edge of the city. They don't HAVE to break the barricades. A zombie still flat-out spawned inside.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 05, 2011, 10:32:51 pm »

How do i did a pit "4 deep"? ive got a shovel but it seems if i try to keep digging it still says shallow pit?

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 05, 2011, 10:34:39 pm »

How do i did a pit "4 deep"? ive got a shovel but it seems if i try to keep digging it still says shallow pit?
Oh, no, it means they have to pass through at least four pits to reach my barricade. Most zombies die after three, fast zombies die in three or less, and I think I remember four killing a hulk once. They take fall damage when they hit them.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 05, 2011, 10:36:07 pm »

Ohhh okay i see.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 05, 2011, 10:42:00 pm »

A note about skirts: Keep in mind that they only make running cost 3 movement points less; so you'll move 34 tiles to the 33 that a jeans-wearing character can run.  Or 17 to the 16 that a cargo pants wearing character can run.  Not a huge boost (and nor is the 1 point of dodge), especially compared to all that storage.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 05, 2011, 10:47:55 pm »

A note about skirts: Keep in mind that they only make running cost 3 movement points less; so you'll move 34 tiles to the 33 that a jeans-wearing character can run.  Or 17 to the 16 that a cargo pants wearing character can run.  Not a huge boost (and nor is the 1 point of dodge), especially compared to all that storage.
Where do Army Pants fit into that scenario? Also, will the Misc. Wreckage tiles ever be sorted into something more coherent? Even as coherent as "Metal" and "Glass"/will it ever have another use?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 05, 2011, 10:49:05 pm »

Speaking of that... What is that wreckage anyway? I just assumed the first one I saw was some remains of a helicopter or something since there were kevlar vests in it and some dead soldiers spawned nearby.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 05, 2011, 10:57:30 pm »

To me, wreckages seem like planes; the stretched out area of derbies behind the main body implies significant forward movement, and the body being about the size of several people implies a large body. So I'd guess a small transport/passenger plane?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 05, 2011, 10:58:17 pm »

Where do Army Pants fit into that scenario? Also, will the Misc. Wreckage tiles ever be sorted into something more coherent? Even as coherent as "Metal" and "Glass"/will it ever have another use?

I dunno.  Wear a pair, and check the effects on your encumbrance display ('@', then hit tab).

That wreckage is whatever your imagination wants it to be!  But yeah, it's a helicopter or a plane I guess.  In the future it'll contain a black box, which will be used to start a mission.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 05, 2011, 11:48:09 pm »

I dunno.  Wear a pair, and check the effects on your encumbrance display ('@', then hit tab).

That wreckage is whatever your imagination wants it to be!  But yeah, it's a helicopter or a plane I guess.  In the future it'll contain a black box, which will be used to start a mission.
Will the scrap be refine-able? I know you can find chunks of steel, but you'd figure ANY wreckage at all could at least be forged into a blade with a piece of wood for a handle and a whetstone or something.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 777