Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263028 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1275 on: July 07, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »

I try and pick a house at the edge of town, so I can go wilderness to get away from zombies, harvest honeycombs from bees etc, board up windows (hammer + nails) and put a wide pit trench around the house (shovel). Make sure house has a toilet. Basement is optional but good if you got one. I'd sleep upstairs though as I've had triffids spawn undergound inside basements while sleeping, use downstairs to store the most valuable gear to ensure it never gets acid-attacked.

Wait, why a toilet? Is that a method of getting water?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 07, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »

You can drink unlimited toilet water, but it makes you a little sick (appears as "poisoned" in @ screen). Not life-threatening unless really low health. My characters use it all the time. use 'e' to look at toilet then select 'Y'.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: July 07, 2011, 02:38:16 pm »

You can drink unlimited toilet water, but it makes you a little sick (appears as "poisoned" in @ screen). Not life-threatening unless really low health. My characters use it all the time. use 'e' to look at toilet then select 'Y'.

I fill up my water bottles in the toilet, then run them through the water purifier.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 07, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »

I fill up my water bottles in the toilet, then run them through the water purifier.

How do you make/get a water purifier?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 07, 2011, 02:46:53 pm »

I believe you can find one in a sporting goods store. Not 100% sure though, but I am 95% sure.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

traverse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 07, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »

Has anyone tried compiling this on a mac?
party for your right to fight

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 07, 2011, 02:49:12 pm »

Finally got a high-perception / robust genetics character into a lab. Drank a bunch of mutagen, +4 good, +3 bad mutations. Drank purifier, -3 good mutations. I am disappoint.

knightawesome

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGWTFBBQ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 07, 2011, 03:39:32 pm »

I was sorting out my new safe-house when two NPCs spawned out of nowhere in the hallway so I shot them both dead went to loot their corpses and found TELEPORTERS AND LASER PISTOLS!, Are NPCs even able to get those things?

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 07, 2011, 03:48:22 pm »

I believe you can find one in a sporting goods store. Not 100% sure though, but I am 95% sure.

The only one I've found was with the corpse of a scientist.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 07, 2011, 03:51:23 pm »

They're already compiled. All you have to do is unzip it and run it in admin mode.
Replace the 1.3.6 Cataclysm.exe with the 1.3.6a version from the rar.

On a completely unrelated note, do "visible" mutations and bionics increase the chance of hostility from NPCs? I just grew fur, and I think anyone would be a bit panicky about meeting a big furry monster with a fusion blaster for an arm and a magnum in the other.

Also, the "Drain power from batteries" bionic seems utterly useless. A fully charged battery (100) gives me 5 power, but I can smash down a door and "eat" the two-by-fours for 3 power each. Not to mention all those extra clothes lying around are made of wool/cotton/fur and can be used(light clothes like gloves don't give power though), and libraries give loads of books that can be burned for power too.

I've been considering giving each mutation an "ugliness" rating or something like that.  Right now, only the "Deformed" mutation engenders negative reactions.
The battery-draining bionic isn't useless, it's just that Internal Furnace is overpowered.  I'm strongly considering removing it entirely; fuel is far too common with that thing.

Edit4: Anyone have any idea how to break into banks? I don't see a card reader or anything hack-able via electrohack.
Jaaaaaaaaaackhammer.

Oh, Oh, Whales, this reminds me. Add construction sites. Places with lots of raw materials and construction gear without needing fully fleshed out structures.

Construction sites, nice.  Coming soon!

Fuuu...

Hell, contantly losing games to npc debug-spam on every step is annoying...

If I could, I'd just turn them off for myself. You see maybe one in 20 games, but you always, always get errors and debugs from them that make the game unplayable.

NPCs have already been turned off for a while.  Update to the latest version.  You can still spawn one yourself by hitting 'G', if you're feeling generous :P

I was sorting out my new safe-house when two NPCs spawned out of nowhere in the hallway so I shot them both dead went to loot their corpses and found TELEPORTERS AND LASER PISTOLS!, Are NPCs even able to get those things?

Sure, on occasion.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 07, 2011, 03:54:54 pm »

Yeah, drop the internal furnace, and instead give us an EXTERNAL one that lets us recharge batteries. It makes the battery one slightly more useful, but you could make it quite heavy and thus suicide to carry around (or make it like furniture and require dragging).

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 07, 2011, 03:57:55 pm »

They're already compiled. All you have to do is unzip it and run it in admin mode.
Replace the 1.3.6 Cataclysm.exe with the 1.3.6a version from the rar.

On a completely unrelated note, do "visible" mutations and bionics increase the chance of hostility from NPCs? I just grew fur, and I think anyone would be a bit panicky about meeting a big furry monster with a fusion blaster for an arm and a magnum in the other.

Also, the "Drain power from batteries" bionic seems utterly useless. A fully charged battery (100) gives me 5 power, but I can smash down a door and "eat" the two-by-fours for 3 power each. Not to mention all those extra clothes lying around are made of wool/cotton/fur and can be used(light clothes like gloves don't give power though), and libraries give loads of books that can be burned for power too.

I've been considering giving each mutation an "ugliness" rating or something like that.  Right now, only the "Deformed" mutation engenders negative reactions.
The battery-draining bionic isn't useless, it's just that Internal Furnace is overpowered.  I'm strongly considering removing it entirely; fuel is far too common with that thing.
Don't remove it, just drop its power by a factor of 10, and make it take time for larger items. So a zombie corpse would still fill up your power meter, you'd just take half an hour slowly feeding it in, while you can still eat your sneakers if you need a quick boost.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 07, 2011, 04:35:08 pm »

My last character was a epic raider that was on day 25. He died due to a turret shooting his legs to 0 health... and I couldn't fix them. He slowly went to the top of the lab and got out, and RIGHT before I got to my spare food stockpile he died due to hunger. 1 speed sucks.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 07, 2011, 06:47:09 pm »

Just updated the game with special ammo effects.  Right now, the only ammo available with special effects is incendiary military rounds.  You might be lucky enough to find some on dead soldiers, but otherwise it's very hard to obtain currently.  Incendiary rounds will explode gas pumps rather than make them leak, will burn through paper wasps' nests, and will set triffids on fire.

Coming soon: flamethrowers!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 07, 2011, 06:52:19 pm »

My last character was a epic raider that was on day 25. He died due to a turret shooting his legs to 0 health... and I couldn't fix them. He slowly went to the top of the lab and got out, and RIGHT before I got to my spare food stockpile he died due to hunger. 1 speed sucks.
Day 25 and you don't have some implants? I am dissapoint.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 777