Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263340 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1260 on: July 07, 2011, 05:36:42 am »

I'm assuming we're dealing with people who are high on adrenaline, probably haven't eaten or slept in days, haven't had a single bit of comfort for a long time, and are constantly on the run from bloodthirsty creatures who are also horribly mutated.

Edit: Oh hey, I can burn zombie corpses in my internal furnace for massive amounts of power.

The internal furnace ability really needs to be toned down, and the consuming battery one needs to be greatly boosted.

Edit2: Could you add the ability to turn metal items into chunks of metal, then allow said chunks to be made into simple components i.e. blades, hammers, wrenches, pipes, nails etc?

Edit3: I think laser weaponry should do another type of damage instead of cutting, maybe fire damage? It seems odd that a fusion cannon won't even scratch a skeleton.

Edit4: Anyone have any idea how to break into banks? I don't see a card reader or anything hack-able via electrohack.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:17:07 am by Blaze »

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 07, 2011, 06:26:08 am »

Edit4: Anyone have any idea how to break into banks? I don't see a card reader or anything hack-able via electrohack.
Jaaaaaaaaaackhammer.

Oh, Oh, Whales, this reminds me. Add construction sites. Places with lots of raw materials and construction gear without needing fully fleshed out structures.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 07, 2011, 06:29:55 am »

I'm assuming we're dealing with people who are high on adrenaline, probably haven't eaten or slept in days, haven't had a single bit of comfort for a long time, and are constantly on the run from bloodthirsty creatures who are also horribly mutated.

Edit: Oh hey, I can burn zombie corpses in my internal furnace for massive amounts of power.

The internal furnace ability really needs to be toned down, and the consuming battery one needs to be greatly boosted.
-snip-

When I saw organic material, zombie corpses were the first thing I tried. Needless to say I was a powerhouse afterwards, until I got showered in shrapnel.

Edit: I apologize if it has been mentioned before but how about something to negate the morale hit from rain (I assume the rain coat does this). I'm thinking maybe a skill trait type thing, which balances things out as you waste a slot and points for another skill but you just don't get as depressed when it actually rains. I personally love rain but living in England you have no choice really given how much it does rain.

Edit 2: Would it be possible/feasible to allow unloading on any item you have rather than the one you are wielding? The same idea for reloading too?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:12:14 am by SP2 »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 07, 2011, 06:59:51 am »

So what are these "jackhammers" you speak of? I've been everywhere and have failed in procuring one.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 07, 2011, 07:05:42 am »

So what are these "jackhammers" you speak of? I've been everywhere and have failed in procuring one.
I'm convinced they're a debug item. Shift+Z -> / -> jackhammer

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 07, 2011, 07:06:40 am »

Exactly what they sound like.  They spawn in hardware stores, and seem to be rarer than chainsaws even.  They're likewise gaspowered (somehow), good for 12 uses a tank, destroy any terrain they're pointed at, and make terrible weapons.

I second the motion that the bad mood gain from rain is a little much.  Running from one building to another should not make me so depressed as to be unwilling to even read until I've spent a half-hour air-drying.  Actually, the depression isn't bad in itself, it would just be a lot better if you actively dry yourself off, and if there were measures against rain besides just raincoats (since trenchcoats and pea coats are literally cloth raincoats with pockets).

Speaking of cloth, the boonie cap doesn't count as sew-able while raincoats are.  Seems a little odd.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 07, 2011, 10:39:38 am »

Yeah, the clothes things don't make much sense, I just smoke some pot and listen to music to counteract the effects of water now.

And being level 23 in melee and cutting, wielding a machete, makes Hulks go down in one hit last I tried. ^_^ Or sometimes 2 hits, if I'm not lucky.

I just upgraded to the newest version though, so maybe thats changed again. I'll roll up a new melee character and let you know when I get a chance.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 07, 2011, 11:45:04 am »

Fuuu...

Hell, contantly losing games to npc debug-spam on every step is annoying...

If I could, I'd just turn them off for myself. You see maybe one in 20 games, but you always, always get errors and debugs from them that make the game unplayable.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 07, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »

Fuuu...

Hell, contantly losing games to npc debug-spam on every step is annoying...

If I could, I'd just turn them off for myself. You see maybe one in 20 games, but you always, always get errors and debugs from them that make the game unplayable.

Go in and delete the files associated with them spawning. Are you using Windows or Linux?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 07, 2011, 12:26:43 pm »

Does anyone know if Masochist is useful or not? I'd imagine having Pain effects turn into morale boosters would be very helpful to a combat-heavy character, but I'm still at the "Start and almost immediately die" stage of the game still, so I can't really find out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 07, 2011, 12:28:11 pm »

Does anyone know if Masochist is useful or not? I'd imagine having Pain effects turn into morale boosters would be very helpful to a combat-heavy character, but I'm still at the "Start and almost immediately die" stage of the game still, so I can't really find out.

Aye its a morale boost.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 07, 2011, 12:29:47 pm »

It's a moral boost, but it's only really worth it if you are a melee character, and only if you melee skills aren't really high. Even with the melee nerf, higher than level 6 in unarmed or any melee weapon allows you to 1-3 hit own anything that moves except maybe hulks. Oftentimes I don't even get hit by zeds unless they swarm me with about 12-16 of them... and then you die.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 07, 2011, 12:59:00 pm »

You could also crawl around on wreckage/smashed windows, getting cut up for the morale boost.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 07, 2011, 01:08:26 pm »

How do you guys decide a good location for a safehouse?

In my current game I had a pretty sweet setup. I had a backpack, shotgun, books, and all kinds of junk I'd drop when things got heavy. Well, at one point things did get heavy and I fled into someone's home. I had to beat down the door and run off into the kitchen. I barely had time to drop my back pack and extra junk before the spitter came through. Before I could kill him he filled the room with acid, melting all my awesome spare equipment. I made it out pretty beat up.

Now I am trying to collect a few more supplies and a replacement shot gun before I go check out the science lab nearby.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 07, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »

I try and pick a house at the edge of town, so I can go wilderness to get away from zombies, harvest honeycombs from bees etc, board up windows (hammer + nails) and put a wide pit trench around the house (shovel). Make sure house has a toilet. Basement is optional but good if you got one. I'd sleep upstairs though as I've had triffids spawn undergound inside basements while sleeping, use downstairs to store the most valuable gear to ensure it never gets acid-attacked.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 777