Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263176 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1500 on: July 11, 2011, 10:23:53 pm »

Not nearly as satisfying! Unless it's zombie hulks or something, I guess.

Anyway, any suggestions on biotics to keep an eye out for? My latest (2nd) cheatmonkey found a whole host of dead scientists not far from his starting point and now has a nice set of passives (integrated toolset and solar panels probably the most interesting of them) and a couple so-so actives (water maker and alarm system), so I feel like jonesing for more. They're neat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 11, 2011, 10:25:40 pm »

Ethanol burner + blood filtration, especially on a cheat monkey. It is a FAR more powerful combination then internal furnace + corpses.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 11, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »

I had that option... but then I remembered that alcohol = molotovs. Why would I want to eat my explosive source?
Ask not!
Ask!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 11, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »

Because one bottle of booze is many many drinks. Around 20. Each drink recovers about 25-30 power. And liqueur stores have more bottles then you could ever use. The only downside to this is the high drainage of water you experience from drinking all the booze, but that is offset by your water seeping ability.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 11, 2011, 10:42:07 pm »

And so, schizophrenic android Frank N Beenz has found the final resting place of one Dr. Josiah Cook (at least he assumes he was a doctor, given the lab coat and medical gloves). This safehouse is incredible. Spinning blade trap at the entrance that you can dance zombies around in to clear the entrance, and all the doors in the house strategically barricaded in a series of fallback chokepoints.

There's a literal HOARD of cool stuff in here from weapons and ammo, to all manner of books and CBMs. The kitchen is stocked with food, including a good supply of jerky and honeycomb. The only thing it lacks is a travel-ready supply of water in bottles instead of the toilet, but I think Frank will be able to manage that now that he's found a trove of things to help him survive, at least as long as he can find some meds soon. Now if only he could find some spare nails to keep these barricades fast once the meatbags start whumping...

Will he survive for an entire night!?

EDIT: No. No he will not. Fungaloid invasion force was not able to be escaped. Scent masking biomod ran out of juice while leaving the house. Solar panel biomod doesn't recharge a damn thing when it's past dusk.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:59:44 pm by Skeeblix »
This is not a signature.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57:07 pm »

how do i gen a new world?

AND: i was walking through the forest, and this NPC came up who wasn't glitching the game. I traded with her, then she went off. I followed. She  walked a little while and promptly picked up a stick and took so many adderall that "her brain exploded". NPCs are fun.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 11, 2011, 10:59:08 pm »

how do i gen a new world?

AND: i was walking through the forest, and this NPC came up who wasn't glitching the game. I traded with her, then she went off. I followed. She  walked a little while and promptly picked up a stick and took so many adderall that "her brain exploded". NPCs are fun.
If your playing on your own copy of the game, delete the save folder. If your playing via terminal, you can't, I think.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 11, 2011, 11:01:19 pm »

Yeah, I've met up with one NPC so far who didn't totally glitch out. I traded with him and we traveled together for a while, but it got annoying pretty quickly because he somehow had a field of view that was larger than mine and would call dibs on all of the loot before I could even see it, even if he was behind me. I solved the problem with a shotgun to the face, obviously.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 11, 2011, 11:42:28 pm »

I tried out some manhacks and turrets but they're utterly useless. A manhack barely scratched a single regular zombie before getting swatted in one hit and friendly turrets never fire their weapon.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 12, 2011, 01:15:04 am »

So, uh. How does one go about fixing broken arms?

Acid rain breaks arms, by th'by, apparently. Or something. It tells me they're broken and in need of surgery, but I'm kinda' curious what kind of Black Jack level surgery is going to fix arms that've had their flesh melted off. It'd be really awesome if you could hide beside 7 trees when it's pouring and kinda' not get melted on. At least until the tree melts. That'd be neat.

Still able to swing my sledge hammer around, though, and punch people to death, and knock down doors, etc, etc. Arms broken, straight down to 0 on 'em both, still going strong :P

E: Fire gauntlets total rip. Was expecting flaming fists of doom. Got firefighter gloves :-\

E2: Nevermind. Apparently the answer is "Sleep." Poor master surgeons. Out done by 7 hours of shuteye.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:20:56 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 12, 2011, 09:19:54 am »

And so, schizophrenic android Frank N Beenz has found the final resting place of one Dr. Josiah Cook (at least he assumes he was a doctor, given the lab coat and medical gloves). This safehouse is incredible. Spinning blade trap at the entrance that you can dance zombies around in to clear the entrance, and all the doors in the house strategically barricaded in a series of fallback chokepoints.

There's a literal HOARD of cool stuff in here from weapons and ammo, to all manner of books and CBMs. The kitchen is stocked with food, including a good supply of jerky and honeycomb. The only thing it lacks is a travel-ready supply of water in bottles instead of the toilet, but I think Frank will be able to manage that now that he's found a trove of things to help him survive, at least as long as he can find some meds soon. Now if only he could find some spare nails to keep these barricades fast once the meatbags start whumping...

EDIT: No. No he will not. Fungaloid invasion force was not able to be escaped. Scent masking biomod ran out of juice while leaving the house. Solar panel biomod doesn't recharge a damn thing when it's past dusk.
Haaaaa, that was actually my old house before someone ganked my character while I was asleep. Seriously, add a password system.

Also, barricades can't be broken, hence I jackhammered a hole in the wall. Had you read the map you'd have known that I tried to wipe out all the fungaloids and got as far as fifty blocks away. They grow back FAST.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:22:21 am by Duane »

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 12, 2011, 10:14:05 am »

friendly turrets???

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 12, 2011, 10:35:55 am »

How i can delete the directory SAVE on ubuntu ( this directory in owner of root....)

Done.....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:37:56 am by teoleo »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 12, 2011, 12:04:34 pm »

Haaaaa, that was actually my old house before someone ganked my character while I was asleep. Seriously, add a password system.

Also, barricades can't be broken, hence I jackhammered a hole in the wall. Had you read the map you'd have known that I tried to wipe out all the fungaloids and got as far as fifty blocks away. They grow back FAST.

Spoiler: On Fungaloids... (click to show/hide)

Sorry I've been inactive recently--busy with work and other real-life concerns.  I wish I could develop cataclysm full-time, but right now it's just a side hobby!  I am still working on it when I have the time.  Presently I am writing a whole new Computer system; once that's finished, expect to see interesting and useful terminals in homes, banks, labs, and more.  After that (or before), I'll implement a password system for those of you who play online.  Contributing coder Endymion is working on an overhauled inventory interface, with stacking!

I'll try to keep you guys updated here, and maybe revive my blog since there seems to be some interest building.  As always, I welcome emails to fivedozenwhales at gmail.com and try to respond promptly.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 12, 2011, 12:13:11 pm »

Oh God I cannot survive worth a damn.  I keep making crafters and keep getting eaten and never finding nails or anything good.  Seriously, I think the WHOLE map genned without nails anywhere or something, I couldn't find a single one, even in the hardware shops.  ...I don't think I've managed to make a grenade yet, only molotovs.

My last one was so promising, too.  Alloy torso and diamond corneas, he was so set to be a tough and shooty.  But I couldn't find any guns or ammo, ever, OR booze for firebombs, or even a proper weapon at all.  Sadface.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 777