Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263326 times)

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1530 on: July 13, 2011, 12:35:56 am »

Anyone have some "god" character builds. I want to find some new and cool places!
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 13, 2011, 12:42:49 am »

Is called memory editor and local build :P At least for code-ignorant windows users, eh. Starting out with 20 in all stats, 4-6 in all skills, and three good perks (Take quick, at the least!), is rather helpful. So is an infinite XP pool.

My best legit attempts have so far done their best to focus on melee, taking HP ignorant and the two drug-related defects for extra points. They usually manage to kill 20-30 zombies and zombie variants before dying horrible deaths :-\

Combo of quick and fleet footed my help if you just want to explore. You can outrun most things with that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:45:30 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 13, 2011, 01:01:04 am »

Building my most deadly build:
Illiterate+Asthmatic+Any other 3 points perk

Fleet-Footed+Fast Learner+maybe Optimist for perks

Take 2 points from strength, dump everything else into Intelligence.

Playing my most deadly build:
Find backpack quickly, collect rocks and MP3 players/batteries for mp3 players/marijuana/booze (booze only if nothing better can be found). Play mp3s/drink booze to keep up happiness right quick, and throw rocks at zombie.
Find combat knife or hatchet, or craft spear. Alternate between trapping zombies in windows so as to stab them with the cutting weapon (get them to chase you, run through doorway, close door and dance in front of nearby window), and running around in the open pegging them with rocks. Once you get a bit better at throwing you can eventually upgrade to throwing spears, but they run out too quick before killing much at lower skill levels. Remember that rocks work better against skeletons than knives, since they are nearly immune to blunt damage.

I usually get around 200-300 kills with this build. Have only lost it to bugs and rampant stupidity like running over landmines. Swapping out Optimist for Pain Resistant might not be a bad idea if you're not so good at avoiding getting hit. Make sure to collect every first aid/bandage item you come across as well. :P

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 13, 2011, 01:02:22 am »

I personally get schizophrenia instead of illiterate because the schizophrenic effects are easy to spot and I am still able to read.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 13, 2011, 01:30:55 am »

I just stepped on a landmine and attracted every goddamn zombie in the tristate area. Damn this game is awesome.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:19 am »

You know how finding 500 nails in a hardware store feels?

Awesome.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 13, 2011, 01:44:21 am »

Personally, I think Hammers work better then Combat Knives. The do 17 bash with +1 to hit, vs combat knives 22 slash at -3 to hit. Plus, they never get stuck. Though, throwing the knives works VERY well.

Personally, my builds vary depending on the state of the world. If I just started, I tend to go for high strength and dex, and keep an eye out and remember where any scientist stockpiles are. Them if I find a decent stock, I make an android fast learner with lots of intelligence and a point in electronics and get them all installed. Bionics are POWERFUL if you get the right ones.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 13, 2011, 03:21:11 am »

My house was struck by lightning and all my shit is in it.  Shit.  I tried putting the fire out to no success so I'm gathering all the most important stuff I can carry and heading to my back up base.  Damn you toilet, you attracted the lightning's attention.

EDIT:

FUUUUU took too long getting my crap hurry hurry gotta get out of here.

EDITEDIT:
Welp, never mind.  The game fucked me over and speed ahead 1,000 turns before I left.  I watched as I was burned alive even though I could have escaped so fucking easily.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:31:44 am by ToonyMan »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 13, 2011, 07:12:13 am »

You know how finding 500 nails in a hardware store feels?

Awesome.
Barricading is for pussies. Real men punch moving things 'til they turn to sludge.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 13, 2011, 07:18:39 am »

Hey, can someone explain this morale/exp thing to me, since I've found no incentive to keep up morale.

Also, what's the best build for someone who wants to try and do nothing but hunt in the forest and survive without scavenging?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 13, 2011, 07:29:16 am »

Hey, can someone explain this morale/exp thing to me, since I've found no incentive to keep up morale.

Also, what's the best build for someone who wants to try and do nothing but hunt in the forest and survive without scavenging?
If your experience is 0, you can't advance in skills.
If morale is low, you can't craft. You might even commit suicide. High morale brings stat bonuses.

Also, gourmand, so you need not eat and drink as often.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 13, 2011, 07:30:09 am »

If your morale is below zero, you don't gain any exp or learn anything. Ever. The higher a positive number it is, the more your EXP Pool will fill up (which you can see below the time and date), allowing you to draw from that to train skills. Very low morale means no sleeping, crafting, reading, or eventually living.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 13, 2011, 08:15:08 am »

Maybe th'gourmand thing, but the integrated toolset (for hotplate-less cooking) and water-making bionics would be your major go-to items. That and decent butchery and you'd probably be able to self-sustain off rabbits and wolves and whatever.

Biggest issue with being outside all the time is probably rain. Being wet can add up to some pretty horrendous morale penalties. You might be able to counter that somewhat by keep a varied diet of morale-boosting foods around (strawberries, apples, honey comb, etc.). Second biggest issue would probably be storage, especially if you're trying to do a complete no-looting run. I think you'd have to get at least a few volume-boosting things before you hit the woods, just to be able to hold enough things to craft necessities things with.

Well. The run will end the first day you get an outright acid rain, though. That melts limbs.

Totally need aquaphobic/aquaphillic defect/perk. Especially the latter one :-\ Rain is deadly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:36 am »

Maybe th'gourmand thing, but the integrated toolset (for hotplate-less cooking) and water-making bionics would be your major go-to items. That and decent butchery and you'd probably be able to self-sustain off rabbits and wolves and whatever.

Biggest issue with being outside all the time is probably rain. Being wet can add up to some pretty horrendous morale penalties. You might be able to counter that somewhat by keep a varied diet of morale-boosting foods around (strawberries, apples, honey comb, etc.). Second biggest issue would probably be storage, especially if you're trying to do a complete no-looting run. I think you'd have to get at least a few volume-boosting things before you hit the woods, just to be able to hold enough things to craft necessities things with.

Well. The run will end the first day you get an outright acid rain, though. That melts limbs.

Totally need aquaphobic/aquaphillic defect/perk. Especially the latter one :-\ Rain is deadly.
You could always crash at bee hives and ant mounds when the rain starts.

Can't wait for some building in the game.

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 13, 2011, 10:21:07 am »

I'm fucking drunk again, and I still fucking love this game. Theres nothing like barricading your house to find out a boomer will rape you!!!! Still if only Mcurist Analgeist would save the day. (from dwarf fortress!)
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 777