Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263543 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2295 on: July 20, 2011, 09:52:03 pm »

So, is horizontal and vertical viewing distance equal? Because I would just like to see a square viewing area. Has any one else encountered lava?

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:45 pm »

I found a lava fissure in the middle of a field between two houses. It didn't do anything but act as my downfall when caught by a lolzombieswarm.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: July 20, 2011, 10:04:35 pm »

Holy crap. I just found a small city of humans, completely free of zombies. AND THERE'S LOOT EVERYWHERE! Sadly, the NPCs are bugging out, making me go through 20 debug messages every turn. Crapola.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: July 20, 2011, 10:05:23 pm »

'~' key (shift and button to the left of the '1' key)

It'll stop ALL debug messages.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: July 20, 2011, 10:07:56 pm »

Ok. The lava. Why was it in the middle of the road. Please. Tell me.

That's me pandering to the DF crowd ("magma" is copyright Bay 12 Games and as such I had to call the tile "lava").

So, is horizontal and vertical viewing distance equal? Because I would just like to see a square viewing area. Has any one else encountered lava?

Horizontal and vertical viewing distance are equal (count the tiles).  It looks taller than it is wide because letters are taller then they are wide in most fonts.  Download a square font and it'll look "right".

Is there any way to make the screen somewhat larger, in terms of how much area it displays around you?

Nope, unless you want to learn c++ and mod this in. It's cheating though.

That can be done, considering I already know C++, but I'm not sure how it is cheating any more than having a large screen on, say, Nethack, Crawl or Dwarf Fortress. What's the point of having a large vision radius if you can only see a tenth of it?

On another note, debug mode froze my game, but I wasn't too far with that character anyway.

Sadly doing so would be a biiiig complicated task, involving rewriting much of mapdata.h and map.cpp.  It's not just a display issue, it has to do with how map data is managed and stuff.  Perhaps one day~

What's with the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a planned map extension, which hasn't been coded yet, and hence the stairs lead to a TOMB OF SOLID ROCK HA HA HA HA >:|

The Parkour trait should let you move through broken windows unimpeded, and lower your chance of cutting yourself on the glass. Its uses in jumping fences and counters are pretty limited as it stands (Or rather, there are rather few situations in which they are) , and I think this would make the perk more useful. I don't know about you guys, but windows are my preferred entry and exit points for a building.

I agree, just to try I wrote a mod such that if you are a parkour expert gives 5 in 6 chances of jumping through a window uninpeded and 1 in 3 chance of not cutting yourself. The only problem is that this way the parkour trait is a little unbalanced because it costs only 1 point during character generation.

If someone wants to try it, here's the mod:

Merged into the official version, thank you.  Guys:  In the future if you write any way-cool patches (or even just a tiny silly one) please email it to me so I can make it official!

I wonder, what's the best kind of pathfinding algorithm for roguelikes? A*?
Or should I try to make one myself?

Some minor bug: when you smash small trees it doesn't always give you wood.
And I guess big trees should be smashable with certain items (cutting) and give 'big logs'. Maybe later add some carpentry skill to build something? Some people like to go all hermit style in the woods but the rain is terrible for that.

A* is good, you just have to be careful depending on your language and existing codebase to keep it from being slow.  I use A* for NPCs cause they're smart; and line-of-sight / scent cloud / sound for zombies, cause they're dumb.
Sometimes smashing a small tree (in real life) will basically just reduce it to bend splintered wood, not much good for anything.  Maybe in the future I'll add a "piece of wood" item, so you can at least still burn it.  Big trees will be lumberjackable in the future, and you can build yourself an Abe Lincoln log cabin (that update will include stovepipe hats, of course).

Is it just me or are cigarettes such a f'ing pain in the ass, tried one, on day one, and now 7 days later i am still waking up in the middle of the night of cigarette cravings...
Also what the hell is up with using the two-way radio once and then being swarmed by survivors?

I gotta argue with the guide on two points, 1. Your starting house DOES NOT always have a basement.  2. Guns are helpful, extremely helpful, pistols and rifles are amazingly useful in the wilderness, and if fitted with a silencer, they make less noise then hitting things with a baseball bat.

A near-future update will make all addictions require several "levels" before they have any effect on gameplay--meaning you won't get hooked until you start using the drug regularly.
The two-way radio is intended to be used as a "call for help" item if you've got a high enough reputation with a faction.  For debug purposes, they player currently starts off at "Luke Skywalker to the Rebels" level of reputation with all factions.
Your house should always start with a basement (see the function overmap::first_house() in overmap.cpp).  And yes, guns are fantastic and even melee-oriented characters should carry a pistol.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: July 20, 2011, 10:25:23 pm »

What the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I got mobbed by a boomer, skeleton and zombie inside the store I was in, molotov'd them only to have the place light up and attract no fewer than 9 zombies, 3 boomers, 1 fast zombie, and a skeleton! Wtf!

Fires really do attract everything nearby >_> When needing to scout, burn a house and haul ass!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:10 pm »

I died being chased by 13 zed, 4 boomers, a shocker, and a squirrel(???), right in the middle of 10 or so gas pumps! Was setting one on fire when I died... Would have been a mega-epic WTFPWN moment, killing the whole damn horde and probably dying along with it!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2302 on: July 20, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »

A nice update would be the ability to put things inside a backpack and drop it when trouble showed up, kill stuff, and pick it up again. Without having to pick up all the singular Items.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: July 20, 2011, 10:48:01 pm »

A nice update would be the ability to put things inside a backpack and drop it when trouble showed up, kill stuff, and pick it up again. Without having to pick up all the singular Items.
This would be very useful indeed.  I don't like having melee penalties so being able to drop your backpack before engaging the enemy would be much more convenient than dropping your whole inventory one by one.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: July 20, 2011, 10:49:59 pm »

What the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I got mobbed by a boomer, skeleton and zombie inside the store I was in, molotov'd them only to have the place light up and attract no fewer than 9 zombies, 3 boomers, 1 fast zombie, and a skeleton! Wtf!

Fires really do attract everything nearby >_> When needing to scout, burn a house and haul ass!
I've discovered that clothing stores make excellent burners.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 20, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »

Holy crap. I just ate a fetus, and committed suicide. Uh...

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: July 20, 2011, 10:54:39 pm »

Well that's ... pretty screwed up behavior. I thought butchering and cooking all other survivors was bad enough, but fetus eating somehow tops it.

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 20, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »

Let me give you a warning when you fight a queen triffid.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 20, 2011, 11:00:17 pm »

Holy crap. I just ate a fetus, and committed suicide. Uh...

What?  The only way to "commit suicide" is to hit Q and quit your character.

Let me give you a warning when you fight a queen triffid.

Yes but
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: July 20, 2011, 11:02:13 pm »

Wait huh? I've killed Queen Triffids by shooting them to death.

What?  The only way to "commit suicide" is to hit Q and quit your character.

I think he means the Morale effect? Unless that doesn't happen yet.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 777