Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263027 times)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2325 on: July 21, 2011, 02:16:01 am »

Could someone make a short guide how to compile it easily and make it a sticky on the fan forums in the modding section? I am sure it would help a lot of people.

I only know how to compile it in linux (you don't need anything there really...), does that help?

EDIT: What? Got ninja'ed and the forum didn't pop up a warning xD
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: July 21, 2011, 02:28:40 am »

Here's the "How to compile".

http://cataclysmff.zxq.net/SMF/index.php?topic=6.0

EDIT: Oh yeah, Kilowatt? I think it'd be a good idea to add a subforum to the forums. It's missing one for stories, art etc. for Cataclysm.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:31:43 am by FunctionZero »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: July 21, 2011, 03:10:05 am »

@Whales
Seems that adding a weapon via debug might allow it to have NULL ammunition, crashing the game if it's fired without loading. It's not a big deal (might never happen in-game) but just letting you know.

Suggestion: Actual in-game "NULL ammunition". Disintegrates or something.

EDIT: I just discovered there are LANDMINES lying around. That messed me up big time! Fortunately I was just surrounded by regular zombies, but I need first aid or superglue urgently.

Suggestion 2: Metal detectors if there aren't already there :P
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:16:10 am by DalGren »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: July 21, 2011, 03:23:42 am »

Added a 'FAQ' thread to the cataclysm forum and linked it in my sig. here. only 1 QA for now, about debug mode '~', hopefully this will reduce the amount of us answering the same questions repeatedly here, though stuff should be fully wikified eventually.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: July 21, 2011, 03:29:11 am »

Yeah, I never really realized how scary the perception penalty of the sun's glare was until I was passing through a minefield and the landmines disappeared every other step.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: July 21, 2011, 03:30:23 am »

I want to tried the ssh version but i new on Linux....

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: July 21, 2011, 03:44:16 am »

I want to tried the ssh version but i new on Linux....

Download this: http://eronarn.info/multirobin_key
Then save it in your home. When saving you should see "HOME" somewhere.

Then open a terminal (you might find one somewhere as "terminal", if not as "xterm" "gnome terminal" "konsole" or whatever you got), and copypaste this

ssh cataclysm@eronarn.info -i ~/multirobin_key

You should be going with just that.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:04 am »

The Parkour trait should let you move through broken windows unimpeded, and lower your chance of cutting yourself on the glass. Its uses in jumping fences and counters are pretty limited as it stands (Or rather, there are rather few situations in which they are) , and I think this would make the perk more useful. I don't know about you guys, but windows are my preferred entry and exit points for a building.

I agree, just to try I wrote a mod such that if you are a parkour expert gives 5 in 6 chances of jumping through a window uninpeded and 1 in 3 chance of not cutting yourself. The only problem is that this way the parkour trait is a little unbalanced because it costs only 1 point during character generation.

If someone wants to try it, here's the mod:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Merged into the official version, thank you.  Guys:  In the future if you write any way-cool patches (or even just a tiny silly one) please email it to me so I can make it official!

Woo, I'm glad you decided to merge the mod!  :D

I'm going to register on the forums

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: July 21, 2011, 05:07:09 am »

Hell yeah, I can compile the code thanks to Whale's/Headswe's github and FunctionZero's tutorial!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: July 21, 2011, 05:13:45 am »

A nice update would be the ability to put things inside a backpack and drop it when trouble showed up, kill stuff, and pick it up again. Without having to pick up all the singular Items.
This would be very useful indeed.  I don't like having melee penalties so being able to drop your backpack before engaging the enemy would be much more convenient than dropping your whole inventory one by one.

Have to agree with this. Having the inventory items bound to a container/clothing would be usefull and much more convinient.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: July 21, 2011, 05:26:47 am »

But it would require a different version. I am sure right now the game reads containers just to add carry space, they do not have any kind of inventory.

I would love to see the system like in DF though.

Right now I am working on simple mods. Like, requirement to have gun parts to make guns (and ability to disassemble guns into gun parts) as well as ability to craft more gun mods.

Can someone explain me how to make "outside patches" (like that one with parkour mod) because right now I put them right in the code, which makes porting the changes to be a quite hard action.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: July 21, 2011, 05:48:38 am »

But it would require a different version. I am sure right now the game reads containers just to add carry space, they do not have any kind of inventory.

I would love to see the system like in DF though.

Right now I am working on simple mods. Like, requirement to have gun parts to make guns (and ability to disassemble guns into gun parts) as well as ability to craft more gun mods.

Can someone explain me how to make "outside patches" (like that one with parkour mod) because right now I put them right in the code, which makes porting the changes to be a quite hard action.

On the first, I am not too sure if a DF-like system fits this. I happen to find DF inventory terrible and painful to navigate and use, as opposed to any other game saving Ultima or MMORPGs.

On the patches (outside?) you just need to have a clean copy of the code, your edited branch of the code, then run something like

diff -rupN path_to_original_code path_to_your_code --exclude=".git" > mypatch.diff

That should create a diff file which contains all the changes you made and can be applied with the Patch tool Whales has.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: July 21, 2011, 05:51:21 am »

Actually, I think the only difference between the platforms' codes is the display code.
Pretty much everything else is the same.

So you could transfer those .cpp and .h you changed into the Linux source and it should work just the same.

EDIT:
There is no "diff" command in Windows.

To use it on Windows, use the MinGW shell where all the "diff" and "patch" and such commands work.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:53:39 am by FunctionZero »

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: July 21, 2011, 05:51:51 am »

There are two ways, with diff command and with git. I'll explain you the easy way:

-You modify the source file, e.g game.cpp
-Rename the modified file, e.g game_mod.cpp
-copy the vanilla game.cpp file in the same directory of the modded one
-run on terminal "diff game.cpp game_mod.cpp > my_mod.diff"

Now you're done, and you have your mod, called my_mod.diff.
To apply it:
-copy my_mod.diff into Cataclysm directory
-open a terminal, go into the game's directory and run the command "patch game.cpp mod.diff"
-run "make"

EDIT: ninja'd by two people, I'm sorry!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:07:34 am by Drevlin »

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: July 21, 2011, 05:54:02 am »

Permissions 0644 for '/home/ubu/multirobin_key' are too open.
It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
This private key will be ignored.
bad permissions: ignore key: /home/ubu/multirobin_key
Permission denied (publickey).

I have this error....
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 777