Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263630 times)

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2370 on: July 21, 2011, 12:02:12 pm »

FunctionZero that's hilarious.
I'd play it!

I think zombies shouldn't become stronger. The difficulty should rise because of the sudden decrease in NPCs.
At the beginning, lots of NPCs, everybody shoots the zombies, so more places are safe. Then with the death of NPCs, the nš of zombie rises, npcs get more agressive, and it becomes more difficult.

I think that is more realist than suddenly omg zombies level up!

Also, Whales, are thinking of doing like, for example, Project Zomboid, so that there's no way to live through the outbreak ("this is how you died"), or just make it extremely difficult to do so?

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: July 21, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »

And i want to stress out for the modders that it would be great if you would split your modes to submodes in case someone wants to play with your monsters for instance but without your awesome energy weapons and stuff.  :)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: July 21, 2011, 12:16:23 pm »

I'd play it!

I think zombies shouldn't become stronger. The difficulty should rise because of the sudden decrease in NPCs.
At the beginning, lots of NPCs, everybody shoots the zombies, so more places are safe. Then with the death of NPCs, the nš of zombie rises, npcs get more agressive, and it becomes more difficult.

Not counting NPCs being aggressive from day one, you just described the progression of Rogue Survivor. Both things combined (and whatever comes, including nerfs) will make this game incredibly hard.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: July 21, 2011, 12:28:15 pm »

I'd play it!

Not counting NPCs being aggressive from day one, you just described the progression of Rogue Survivor. Both things combined (and whatever comes, including nerfs) will make this game incredibly hard.

Haven't played much RS but yeah, I kind of like it that way, sounds more authentic. A zombie apocalypse should be hard(core)

EDIT: and actually, I really like the tweaking of rogue survivor. We can adjust the game in almost any way according to how we want it. It's a really smart move to give that freedom to players.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:30:17 pm by KimeK »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59:58 pm »

I really don't think that zombies should just *spawn* out of nowhere.  My current character started with the metal claws upgrade and the food-to-energy upgrade, so by day two I had slaughtered and butchered every single zombie I came across, at death on day 12 I had 10000 zombie kills, frankly since I started in a really small town that should have cleared the area.  There seriously needs to be area-infestation pools which have a set number, that the zombies that spawn are drawn from, sort of like DF animals, but with the addition that lot's of noise or death in a particular area will draw in zombies from surrounding pools increasing that pools spawn number.  That way when a gasstation in the middle of town is hit by lightening and blows up you can set the f'ing town on fire and actually decrease the amount of zombies after you.
Nom nom nom

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: July 21, 2011, 01:07:00 pm »

There IS supposed to be a pool that gets depleted for each area. Not sure where your zeds are coming from. Are you making sure to butcher the corpses so they don't get back up? Although that only happens with necromancers nearby, so its unlikely to have made that many... Still, unbutchered zombies SHOULD return to the zombie pool if they don't already.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: July 21, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »

There are zombie populations already. but I didn't check them yet.

I am going to decrease the food/water needs. Right now they are too disasterous. Also I will try to find and increase the amounts of sleep you need.

What this game lacks... More cooking recipes! I was really sad that I cannot cook almost anything. I will work on it!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: July 21, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »

What this game lacks... More cooking recipes! I was really sad that I cannot cook almost anything. I will work on it!
Do want!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: July 21, 2011, 01:35:15 pm »

Do want!

And cooking on open fire, pls.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: July 21, 2011, 01:40:32 pm »

That would be a lot more difficult, at least until recipes keep track of items and status of surrounding squares, which is a pretty big project.

A wider variety of cooking tools would be nice though.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:17 pm »

Make recipes to allow combining cooked pasta with sauces for extra nutrition+morale. (if you "a"pply the sauces you just chug them raw)

@GlyphGryph
More cooking tools? I disagree. It'll complicate things too much to do pretty much the same thing. And anyway, for most kitchen tasks you barely need a few utensils (we are talking survival cooking here)
At most we'd need an oven or oil, but let's not pollute the item pool too much.

EDIT: To elaborate. And considering I am a cook IRL, I'd love a fetishistic attention to detail, but item limits, volume and carrying, as well as number of commands, number of required items, etc, it's better to go simple, just with varying ingredients for user-customization/realism.

I don't know if I should be bothered about modders picking up a game this early in development...be careful not to produce a "minecraft effect" where the original coder has trouble implementing promised features because modders did them faster. Also discussion in this topic will be a mess with alternative versions popping around... Most people still hasn't seen most of the game's already working features!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:57:33 pm by DalGren »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

Trawling through the files I notice some references to weapon loudness but they seem to not be used? Is this a feature that has yet to be implemented? Is it true that a shogun fires at the same volume as a pistol or smg?

Also I've already started modding a Dawn of the Dead (remake) fast zombies type spin off where weapons are more deadly but there are more zombies.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: July 21, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »

Just made a fork at https://github.com/fryyrfn/Cataclysm, you can use lua to mod in some things, I just made it to teach myself some luabind.
Its incredible how easy is to use luabind, didnt touch Whales code at all (well, only one call to initialize lua) and it works.

you can do something like this
Code: [Select]
hat = it_tool()
hat.name = "long black hat"
hat.sym = '^'
hat.color = color.c_dkgray
hat.description =
[[ A long black hat.

Used by magicians. ]]

hat.use = function(game,player,item,t)
        if one_in(5) then
                local x = game.player.x+rng(-2,2)
                local y = game.player.y+rng(-2,2)
                local mtype = game:find_mtype("rabbit")
                local rabbit = monster(mtype, x,y)
                game:new_monster(rabbit)
                game:add_msg("A rabbit jumps out of the hat!")
        else
                game:add_msg("You reach into the hat, but only belly button lint comes out")
end
end
g:new_itype(hat)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: July 21, 2011, 01:50:47 pm »

Shouldn't zombies attack other life forms?  I just got killed by a bear that shambled in with the swarm.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: July 21, 2011, 01:55:58 pm »

Just made a fork at https://github.com/fryyrfn/Cataclysm, you can use lua to mod in some things, I just made it to teach myself some luabind.
Its incredible how easy is to use luabind, didnt touch Whales code at all (well, only one call to initialize lua) and it works.

you can do something like this
Code: [Select]
hat = it_tool()
hat.name = "long black hat"
hat.sym = '^'
hat.color = color.c_dkgray
hat.description =
[[ A long black hat.

Used by magicians. ]]

hat.use = function(game,player,item,t)
        if one_in(5) then
                local x = game.player.x+rng(-2,2)
                local y = game.player.y+rng(-2,2)
                local mtype = game:find_mtype("rabbit")
                local rabbit = monster(mtype, x,y)
                game:new_monster(rabbit)
                game:add_msg("A rabbit jumps out of the hat!")
        else
                game:add_msg("You reach into the hat, but only belly button lint comes out")
end
end
g:new_itype(hat)

Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa. I've been developing in Lua for years and never heard of this! I'll have to give it some study...
(with "this" I mean luabind...)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:58:29 pm by DalGren »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 777