Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260256 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2415 on: July 21, 2011, 03:33:05 pm »

I am assuming that me jackhammering walls makes a huge amount of noise.  It's like that zombie whisperer.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 21, 2011, 03:35:50 pm »

How do I use winchesters? I cannot reload them (allthough there already are bullets in them) and firing doesn't work either

you cannot shoot with bullets
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:40:38 pm by Dutchling »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 21, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »

I like to play with guns myself...whenever I can.
With enough expertise they become quite powerful, but ammo and skill rust limits their usefulness. Definitely not needing a nerf (please don't make firearms useless, please please please, it's done so often in so many games...).
Well, none of us are considering a Nerf in the slightest, just some situations that "shoot em all" wont solve as easily. As long as you stay away from the new enemies (and swarms/scarabs/etc probably won't be rolled in with regular zombies) you won't notice any increase in difficulty.

Admittedly making non-melee-solutioned problems is more important right now.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 21, 2011, 03:40:57 pm »

Theres a zombie mmo called dead frontier, and the special zombies in that game are total asses. Theres banshees, like shriekers, but with two heads. Reapers have a long bony blade replacing one arm, which would be good to get a cutting type zombie in there, theres also bones, which are like hulks, but with bones protruding from all over the body. I think reapers should be in, though. On another note, is there an actual way to get mininukes without wishing? About the gun skill rusting, couldont you just train it back up by grinding with a bb gun? I find them in sporting goods stores fairly often.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:50:08 pm by jc6036 »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 21, 2011, 03:42:26 pm »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 21, 2011, 03:50:39 pm »

Implemented features in the Living Dead mod [also know as the Hardcore mod]:

- Increased zombie speed to a run
- Varied zombie speed
- Doubled zombie numbers
- Gave the zombies better hearing

Features which are in the process of being implemented:

- New weapons list [M1 Garand is functional as a first test]
- Removing non-zombie NPCs
- Increasing the damage dealt with weapons
- Making ammo scarcer
- Making food scarcer
- Making drugs scarcer
- Scavenged guns are sometimes damaged and require repair
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:01:15 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 21, 2011, 03:55:00 pm »

- Varied zombie speed
- Doubled zombie numbers

- Making ammo scarcer
Dunno if you know, but we also have some forums for Cataclysm where you can make your own thread for the mod.

Great mod, though. I'll be sure to try it once you release it and you find some time.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 21, 2011, 03:58:08 pm »

Also, I met burrowing enemies for the first time today. Great concept, and I only just realized they are exactly the perfect type of enemy vs ranged characters to switch things up, hah. (assuming they are immune when under ground, I don't know as I don't have a gun)

I think they shouldn't get caught up in shallow pits and surface traps though, and should be able to travel UNDER houses and roads somehow (and perhaps be able to 'smash' open the floor like the zombies do barricaded walls), kind of odd and takes a lot of the thread out of them, when those two things are combined.

But God, so much fun to watch them burrowing around the house looking for a way in.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 21, 2011, 04:03:54 pm »

Man it's a pain in the ass getting run down by speedy zombies and pounded on while you try to reload. Remember at Bay 12, losing is fun :P.

PS - like to see anyone get 10,000 kills once my mod is ready haha, maybe 2 kills :D.

PPS - Any way to increase zombies speed while climbing through windows and jumping on stuff?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:05:34 pm by The13thRonin »

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 21, 2011, 04:07:15 pm »

- Varied zombie speed
- Doubled zombie numbers

- Making ammo scarcer

Awesome.  Note that guns already have a "durability" rating, but it is not actually used yet.

Theres a zombie mmo called dead frontier, and the special zombies in that game are total asses. Theres banshees, like shriekers, but with two heads. Reapers have a long bony blade replacing one arm, which would be good to get a cutting type zombie in there, theres also bones, which are like hulks, but with bones protruding from all over the body. I think reapers should be in, though. On another note, is there an actual way to get mininukes without wishing? About the gun skill rusting, couldont you just train it back up by grinding with a bb gun? I find them in sporting goods stores fairly often.

Fast zombies actually have long claws that do cutting damage.  I might make a reaper-type zombie though, maybe call it a "slasher" to make it extra-obvious that it does cutting damage.
BB Guns only train rifle/gun skill up to level 1, after which they shouldn't provide any training.
Spoiler: Mininukes (click to show/hide)

I am assuming that me jackhammering walls makes a huge amount of noise.  It's like that zombie whisperer.

Correct, they are the loudest possible sound (in terms of affecting spawn rates).

Making ranged weapons less viable isn't as much of a priority for me, since most players seem to opt for melee, and ranged weapons already have the issues of ammo supply, noise, higher chance to miss, etc.

I like to play with guns myself...whenever I can.
With enough expertise they become quite powerful, but ammo and skill rust limits their usefulness. Definitely not needing a nerf (please don't make firearms useless, please please please, it's done so often in so many games...).

No nerfing will happen, they are nerfed enough as it is.  My goal is to make melee and firearms equally valid options, each with its own drawbacks and benefits.  This probably means a long process of buffing/nerfing one then the other until the players and I are both satisfied (as if THAT will ever happen!).

Even if compiled in EXE?

Also, I can't find the piece of code which defines the way the containers interact with liquids... I want to make some recipes which use bottles OR cans in crafting, and I want the liquids to stay in containers they come from...

There is game::handle_liquid() in game.cpp, which goes through the process of asking a player what they want to do with a liquid (unloaded a bottle, pumped gas, 'e'xamined a toilet, etc).  Containers themselves have several flags, including watertight, sealable, and whether they expand to fit the volume of their contents (a metal jug does not, a plastic bag does).  As for crafting, well, that's a drawback and it's not doable with the given code.  Could be modded in!  crafting.cpp is kind of a krufty mess though...

Where in the code is the font defined? I want to use a square font.

It uses your terminal font, if you're on linux.  On Windows, it uses black Microsoft magic to decide the font, and as a white wizard I do not dabble in such things.  :P

Also, I met burrowing enemies for the first time today. Great concept, and I only just realized they are exactly the perfect type of enemy vs ranged characters to switch things up, hah. (assuming they are immune when under ground, I don't know as I don't have a gun)

I think they shouldn't get caught up in shallow pits and surface traps though, and should be able to travel UNDER houses and roads somehow (and perhaps be able to 'smash' open the floor like the zombies do barricaded walls), kind of odd and takes a lot of the thread out of them, when those two things are combined.

But God, so much fun to watch them burrowing around the house looking for a way in.

It is possible to shoot them when they're underground, but they essentially get a free armor bonus from the dirt, plus you have to guess where they are.
The traps thing was an oversight on my part, and will be fixed.
It's intended that the hardest version (Graboids) will be able to smash through floors and such, but not fully implemented yet.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:38 pm »

Ok whales, I gotta ask as this has been nagging at the back of my mind for a while. . .whats the longest amount of time youve survived? :3

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »

I'm going through Firearms section now on our Wiki.

I can't fill in Moves per attack and Accuracy. First one I can't find in code and the second one looks different in-game.
So I'd ask someone else to fill those in.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 21, 2011, 04:19:00 pm »

Any way to increase zombies speed while climbing through windows and jumping on stuff? I can't seem to find it. I'm trawling through the map file.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:34 pm »

Ok whales, I gotta ask as this has been nagging at the back of my mind for a while. . .whats the longest amount of time youve survived? :3

Umm.  Like 5 days-ish?  I rarely play for all-out survival records, mostly I'm playing to try to test some new area or mechanic.  Pretty sure I could survive indefinitely if I tried!

Any way to increase zombies speed while climbing through windows and jumping on stuff? I can't seem to find it. I'm trawling through the map file.

mapdata.h contains data for map tiles, including the movement costs.  Line 188 has the defining values for window frames; the "12" at the end of the line there means it takes 600 movement points (the "movement cost" for terrain is in units of 50 player movement points each).  Changing that value would change it for zombies and players alike.

EDIT: Missed FunctionZero's post somehow.

I'm going through Firearms section now on our Wiki.

I can't fill in Moves per attack and Accuracy. First one I can't find in code and the second one looks different in-game.
So I'd ask someone else to fill those in.

Moves per attack is based purely on the gun's type, and your skill in that type.  See line 35 in ranged.cpp.
Accuracy is really innaccuracy in the code--the value is the numberof quarter-degrees that your shot may be off by.  So, an accuracy rating of 12 means that the gun may be off by 3 degrees at max.  To avoid confusing players, this gets displayed as (100 - accuracy) when you check the gun's info, so a 12 would be displayed as 88.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:35:28 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 21, 2011, 04:34:04 pm »

I've changed mine to 250.
Mainly because they were OP when it came to zombie killing
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 777