Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260357 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2400 on: July 21, 2011, 02:51:47 pm »

Since bullets do the same damage as the bulk of melee weapons though, I'm not entirely sure how to make more units you want to close in and melee with... perhaps inviso-enemies that are really hard to hit or even notice with ranged attacks, but not as hard to hit with melee attacks?
Another way is to give them a high armor degree, but low health, so that a lot of bullets with low armor peircing ussually bounce right off, and it is known that higher armor piercing bullets are typically louder.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: July 21, 2011, 02:53:43 pm »

Where in the code is the font defined? I want to use a square font.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: July 21, 2011, 02:55:56 pm »

Since bullets do the same damage as the bulk of melee weapons though, I'm not entirely sure how to make more units you want to close in and melee with... perhaps inviso-enemies that are really hard to hit or even notice with ranged attacks, but not as hard to hit with melee attacks?
Another way is to give them a high armor degree, but low health, so that a lot of bullets with low armor peircing ussually bounce right off, and it is known that higher armor piercing bullets are typically louder.
Scarabs?
It would make a fun enemy. Small armored scarabs which seek bodies, bury in them and produce more scarabs after some time, exploding those bodies.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: July 21, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »

Dunno.

Try looking in every file that has #include <curses.h>, since that's the display header.

"output.cpp" looks promising.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2404 on: July 21, 2011, 03:05:35 pm »

Scarabs?
It would make a fun enemy. Small armored scarabs which seek bodies, bury in them and produce more scarabs after some time, exploding those bodies.
Hm, scarabs sound a bit dangerous, maybe OP unless they're locked up close or inside labs.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: July 21, 2011, 03:06:35 pm »

Scarabs?
Hm, scarabs sound a bit dangerous, maybe OP unless they're locked up close or inside labs.
Kill it with fire.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:58 pm »

I suppose tiny enemies would meat the definition of that that is hard to shoot but easier to melee, for sure. And if the scarabs have decent armor as well...

I like it.

In fact, a general "swarm" type of enemy might not be a bad idea as well - damage dealt to it with each hit could be capped out out a fairly low value, making you have to switch up your tactics to fire/quick melee/assault weapons (though that would use up lots of precious ammo)

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 21, 2011, 03:09:23 pm »

Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa. I've been developing in Lua for years and never heard of this! I'll have to give it some study...
(with "this" I mean luabind...)
All the glue code is in luainterface.cpp in my repo (it is all glue, there is no other change to Whales code)

there is none, it should use the font of your current terminal.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:51 pm »

Even if compiled in EXE?

Also, I can't find the piece of code which defines the way the containers interact with liquids... I want to make some recipes which use bottles OR cans in crafting, and I want the liquids to stay in containers they come from...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: July 21, 2011, 03:12:46 pm »

Oh snap I got me a gassed up jackhammer!  I love that I can just escape drill through any barrier.  And it's a decent anti zombie weapon to boot!!!
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: July 21, 2011, 03:13:09 pm »

Making ranged weapons less viable isn't as much of a priority for me, since most players seem to opt for melee, and ranged weapons already have the issues of ammo supply, noise, higher chance to miss, etc.

I like to play with guns myself...whenever I can.
With enough expertise they become quite powerful, but ammo and skill rust limits their usefulness. Definitely not needing a nerf (please don't make firearms useless, please please please, it's done so often in so many games...).
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 21, 2011, 03:19:21 pm »

With enough expertise they become quite powerful, but ammo and skill rust limits their usefulness.
All of my what.

How can your skills rust if you actually USE them?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 21, 2011, 03:20:53 pm »

When you run out of ammo.
If you get swamped and need to go into CQC mode.
If you don't want to attract too much attention.

There's probably more
*Hugs*

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2413 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:48 pm »

One thing I'm starting to like a lot is .22 rifles with ratshot. Not really powerful, and really range restricted, but lots of ammo, pretty much no recoil, so you can literally output as many shots as your shooting finger allows in a short period of time. The only problem is reload, but since the quietness usually means less zombies, you'll have a better chance of reload if you run around a corner or somesuch.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:24 pm »

Trawling through the files I notice some references to weapon loudness but they seem to not be used? Is this a feature that has yet to be implemented? Is it true that a shogun fires at the same volume as a pistol or smg?

Also I've already started modding a Dawn of the Dead (remake) fast zombies type spin off where weapons are more deadly but there are more zombies.

I've been working on the wiki and this is one of the things that I am having trouble finding. ranged.cpp mentions p.weapon.sound yet I can't find where that is calculated for the weapon. I will continue to look.

Ah, I think this is it. From item.cpp line 856

Code: [Select]
int item::noise()
{
 if (!is_gun())
  return 0;
 int ret = 0;
 if (curammo != NULL)
  ret = curammo->damage * .8;
 if (ret >= 5)
  ret += 20;
 for (int i = 0; i < contents.size(); i++) {
  if (contents[i].is_gunmod())
   ret += (dynamic_cast<it_gunmod*>(contents[i].type))->loudness;
 }
 return ret;
}

What's the wiki link?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 777