Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263178 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2460 on: July 21, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »

Thanks for the help whales, that worked.

Thanks for the advice Deon and merchant... I decided to reduce the value to 1/3 of its original. So if it takes a human maybe 30 seconds to climb in while carefully avoiding the glass it would take a zombie 10 seconds to barrel through it.
This looks like a good balancing choice :).
Yeah, I think that's a lot better, and it still gives you a slight advantage.
*Hugs*

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 21, 2011, 05:58:50 pm »

I don't know about where you're from, but where I'm from its a piece of cake to get in a window around here, they're only a few inches off of the ground most of the time, unless its a house on a slope or a rare house with higher-up windows for added privacy. Most windows I can literally look into someone's house if their drapes are open.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: July 21, 2011, 06:01:32 pm »

FunctionZero: I might help by filling in info on the guns I have lying around. I'm using the in-game data shown when you look at them in your inventory with 'i' though.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:32:30 pm by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: July 21, 2011, 06:04:40 pm »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: July 21, 2011, 06:05:27 pm »

FunctionZero: I might help by filling in info on the guns I have lying around. I'm using the in-game data shown when you look at them in your inventory with 'i' though.
Sure, why not. Any help would be appreciated. Also, no need to retype the description, I can copy-paste it later anyway, directly from the code.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: July 21, 2011, 06:09:08 pm »

I don't know about where you're from, but where I'm from its a piece of cake to get in a window around here, they're only a few inches off of the ground most of the time, unless its a house on a slope or a rare house with higher-up windows for added privacy. Most windows I can literally look into someone's house if their drapes are open.

Around here (where Cataclysm is set) windows are generally several feet off the ground, around chest height from the outside.  Tricky to climb through, especially if you are an animated corpse that doesn't know how to climb, but just kind of falls through the window.

The high window movement penalty isn't so much about realism as it is a way to help the player make a choke point, and penalize the player for escaping a house via windows.  I admit, it could use being turned down slightly; I might nerf the movement cost to 8-ish.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: July 21, 2011, 06:12:30 pm »

I usually put a pit in front of them. So the 250 cost is plenty for me
*Hugs*

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: July 21, 2011, 06:17:34 pm »

Hmm, understood.

It'd be AWESOME if upon inspecting a mob we'd have a DF-esque damage menu showing damaged parts. :) I'd like for some of my lucky hits to sever a motor nerve and f- up a zombies ability to run after me, or make it blind, so that when I run off like a flailing madman, it'll have trouble catching up or finding me, relying only on its sense of smell.

I'm assuming coding a Fallout-style body-part designation system for attacks would be way too deep...

Could always do like Fallout and further improve the difference between melee and guns by making guns able to designate body parts to offset their ridiculous trouble-bringing ways, and have melee be a general physical flailing with object in hand.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »

Could always do like Fallout and further improve the difference between melee and guns by making guns able to designate body parts to offset their ridiculous trouble-bringing ways, and have melee be a general physical flailing with object in hand.
I could kick people in the balls just fine in Fallout.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: July 21, 2011, 06:27:01 pm »

To comment on the zombie windows thing, sure they won't feel pain going through. But you assume the window isn't close to the ground, its still reachable but for a zombie that doesn't have most of its brain functioning it would take some time to get up there.

None of the houses have a 2nd story. They're first floor windows.

Also Whales I was a bit hasty there... I just tested it... Code doesn't work. I even upped the values to -500 and -600... Still taking the zombies forever to get through.

Deon... Help me out... My brain hurts :P.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:39:16 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: July 21, 2011, 06:29:47 pm »

Yes, but first floor windows are still chest high and take some work to climb through.

There are already tall windows in the game as well that zombies CAN just crash through without the movement penalty. It would be nice if these occasionally appeared in houses, actually.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:43 pm »

At this point I don't even care about zombies. Now I'm just trying to attract as many as I can by using a shotgun, blowing up gas stations, and throwing molotovs around.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: July 21, 2011, 07:05:34 pm »

To comment on the zombie windows thing, sure they won't feel pain going through. But you assume the window isn't close to the ground, its still reachable but for a zombie that doesn't have most of its brain functioning it would take some time to get up there.

None of the houses have a 2nd story. They're first floor windows.

Also Whales I was a bit hasty there... I just tested it... Code doesn't work. I even upped the values to -500 and -600... Still taking the zombies forever to get through.

Deon... Help me out... My brain hurts :P.

I will definitely try to help you tomorrow since I am interested in that too! Tonight I am braindead, it's 4 AM :P. That's why I released that small mod, since I am unable to mod more today.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: July 21, 2011, 07:59:46 pm »

For those who just want some variety and do not compile files for themselves...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deon's little mod (Version 2) for the awesome Whales' creation
Based on Head's windows SDL code branch.

- You can disassemble guns to get gun parts.
- You now need gun parts to craft pipe rifles/SMGs.
- New vegetable: raw potato.
- New cooking recipes: dinner, broth, soup, scrambled egg, chips, baked potato.
- Tweaks to cooking times.
- Drevlin's tweaks to menu (moving up from the top string moves to the bottom one; fixes some glitches).
- Drevlin's Parkour trait tweaking (you can jump over windows quickly and you are less likely to cut yourself on a frame; the trait costs 2 points now).
- Nails and hotplates spawn in more places.

==========================================================
V2:
- Nails and hotplates spawn in more places.
- Fixed potatoes (they are no longer in cardboxes).

==========================================================

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?65t71s5jzj1npwi

Windows .exe version. Comes with source.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: July 21, 2011, 08:08:58 pm »

A few questions:

What do you need to craft a pipe rifle?
What does the zombie pheromone do?
Where can I get a katana? So far I've only found them on NPCs.

A nice addition to the wiki would be some description of some of the random landmarks like survivor cities or nuke silos.

Also, if you made a Fallout style targeting system mixed with DF style wounds, I would add you to my pantheon of gods, alongside C'thulhu and bacon.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:11:18 pm by Geen »
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 777