Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263368 times)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2475 on: July 21, 2011, 08:11:49 pm »

I just finished putting together an easy way for windows users to run Cataclysm without crashing.

Probably the best way to run Cataclysm on windows is in a virtual machine, but I know that for a lot of people here, downloading a 700MB disk image, waiting hours for it to install, and learning a new operating system isn’t really an option.

So I got one of the lightest distributions around, Tiny Core Linux, and added everything you need to compile and run Cataclysm, along with a few bash scripts to make it easier.

Here’s the step by step guide.

Download and install VirtualBox.

Download the Tiny Core Linux vdi Image.

Extract the image to a folder of your choosing.

Run Virtualbox, select “New” in the top left corner, Enter “Tiny Core Linux” for a name, leave it at the default 512 MB of RAM, select “Use existing hard disk”, and browse to and select the image you just downloaded.

Double click on "Tiny Core Linux" on the left side of the window.

When you get to the prompt (it should look like "tc@box:~$") type “./download”, then “./compile”.

Run Cataclysm with “./run”

That’s it, you can now enjoy Cataclysm in, mostly, crash free bliss.

Once you’re done playing, you can type “sudo poweroff” to shut the virtual machine down, or you can turn it off and save the state through VirtualBox.

You can update Cataclysm with “./update”, and “./compile” again. Don’t run “./compile” if it tells you there aren’t any new updates. It won’t hurt anything, it’ll just take a while.

If you ever get sick of your current world, just type “./delete” to clear your saved world, it’ll prompt you so you can’t do it by accident.

A few tips for complete Linux newbies: “ls” will give you a list of files and folders in your current directory. In your home directory, all you should see are the scripts I just mentioned, and the Cataclysm folder. If you ever get lost in the filesystem, just type “cd” to return home.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: July 21, 2011, 08:12:15 pm »

The pipe rifle needs a little firearms skill in addition to mechanics, I think.

You can check the pheromone's description by pressing "?" while it's highlighted.  I haven't used it myself, but apparently it makes zombies friendly/non-hostile for a short time?  Never even seen a katana, myself.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: July 21, 2011, 08:23:33 pm »

Is there anyway to burn a house down?  The large town nearest me is full of hives, anthills in basements, and Triffid nests in homes.  I would really love to purge that place.
Nom nom nom

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:01 pm »

"a"pply a lighter.  Or a molotov.

I think you might be able to get a bunch of bottles, fill 'em up with gas from gas stations, and then "U"nload the gas onto the ground?  Then you could draw lines from house to house.  I dunno if that would work, though - I'm not too much of a firebug.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: July 21, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »

WHAT?! SOMEONE ON BAY12 WHO ISN'T A PYRO?!
MADNESS!

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: July 21, 2011, 09:33:54 pm »

I've got a pair of features I think windows should gain.

1:  The ability to take a few minutes and clear the broken glass out of a window.  I tend to move through safe house windows fairly often, and not risking minor pain to move through them would be nice.
2:  The ability to create shutters for windows.  I like the idea of barricading windows for extra safety (and blocking line of sight), but whenever I do so I find myself exiting out the front door, and walking around the house to shut those damn zombies up.  I'd really like the ability to open up the window when a zombie wakes me up at night.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: July 21, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »

I've got a pair of features I think windows should gain.

1:  The ability to take a few minutes and clear the broken glass out of a window.  I tend to move through safe house windows fairly often, and not risking minor pain to move through them would be nice.
2:  The ability to create shutters for windows.  I like the idea of barricading windows for extra safety (and blocking line of sight), but whenever I do so I find myself exiting out the front door, and walking around the house to shut those damn zombies up.  I'd really like the ability to open up the window when a zombie wakes me up at night.

Or Even just a gun port, just make it large enough to point a crossbow through...

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: July 21, 2011, 09:51:06 pm »

Yes, curtains would be useful. Damn windows...

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: July 21, 2011, 09:59:13 pm »

I just got addicted to triffids.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: July 21, 2011, 10:11:32 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this (or if I'm just not clever enough to have figured it out) but how about building a campfire? Also managed to survive being mauled by a bear while absently minded holding down the direction key. Excellent game so far.

Also thanks to Vucar, worked brilliantly!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2485 on: July 21, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »

I just got addicted to triffids.

o.0
What.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: July 21, 2011, 10:12:36 pm »

Wait... Triffid is addictive?

Also, I just killed a hulk by throwing a fetus at it. YEEEAAAHHH!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: July 21, 2011, 10:16:44 pm »

Hey,what version are we on now?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19:12 pm »

Triffid is addictive? My god, that's great. I hope its a particularly serious one, heheheh.

And I second shutters, clearing glass (and rebuilding doors, too!) Even if shutters are less effective than properly reinforced windows.

At the very least we should be able to use the hammer to take barricades back down.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:14 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this (or if I'm just not clever enough to have figured it out) but how about building a campfire? Also managed to survive being mauled by a bear while absently minded holding down the direction key. Excellent game so far.

Also thanks to Vucar, worked brilliantly!

You could build a campfire but right now it wouldn't be very useful.

Also, that bear thing is exactly what run mode is for!

Triffids are not addictive, if you became addicted to triffids it's probably a "didn't make clean" bug.

Shutters, sniping slits, etc. will come with the building update.  Still trying to plow through these damn computers.  So many bugs to iron out.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 777