Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263337 times)

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2610 on: July 22, 2011, 10:49:54 am »

How do I download the new update? I'm using windows and when I try downloading the new update it doesn't work and I end up with an older version.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: July 22, 2011, 11:08:39 am »

How do I download the new update? I'm using windows and when I try downloading the new update it doesn't work and I end up with an older version.
Windows branch has yet to be updated.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: July 22, 2011, 11:31:18 am »

Run, run, RUNNNNNNNNN!
- Tripled the number of zombies

run where? O_o

My point exactly, especially if that 'spawn anywhere' is as anywhere as I fear >_>

Its like, la-di-da strolling out my house for the first time since outbreak, got my hoodie on and OMFG *runs away from swarm of zombies*

Yep, that's pretty much how it goes. It's survival from minute one... No hand-outs here... You fight and scrap for every second of life. No rambo crap here! :D

If you make it across the road to the clothing store that is already a legendary achievement :P! The idea is that you rely more on finding a good safehouse and locking it down. Board the windows and go out on raids for ever-diminishing amounts of guns, ammo, food and meds.

PS - updating with zombie dogs that're much faster than regular zombies and will definitely catch up to you and tear you a new ass (don't get caught out in an open area, stick to cover and don't make a lot of noise).

Also thinking of nerfing backpack carry volume so you have to make more trips for resources. Definitely nerfing the amount of loot you can get from one location.

PPS - After I upload the mod I'm making a survival leaderboard :P.

I recommend you give it a whirl... It'll make a man outta ya :P!

If zombies can spawn anywhere, then they could also pop up within your safehouse, no matter how fortified it is. Sounds like a Russian roulette. Not much of a game left: just waiting to die. Especially given how you seem to penalize staying on the move. Really, what's left? :o

Also, if zombies are always catching you and you're always getting hurt, you're dead. Meds become as bad as pain, speed-wise, once you take enough.

That said, I understand vanilla safehouse play can become pretty easy once you know what you're doing. I find it way more fun to be always on the move, but this mod might spice things up for those post-apocalyptic couch potatoes. :P

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: July 22, 2011, 11:33:23 am »

For some reason there was a Clothing store with dumpsters in it instead of display racks. And it's saying "moving on this x is slow" for every thing.

Maybe the store belongs to a zombie, and that's just the way they sell stuff. Dumpsters make sense. Somehow.

How do you explain the "movng on x is slow" messages.It may be a glitch in Parkour perk.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2614 on: July 22, 2011, 11:36:13 am »

For some reason there was a Clothing store with dumpsters in it instead of display racks. And it's saying "moving on this x is slow" for every thing.

Maybe the store belongs to a zombie, and that's just the way they sell stuff. Dumpsters make sense. Somehow.

How do you explain the "movng on x is slow" messages.It may be a glitch in Parkour perk.
Is the ground tilled?

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: July 22, 2011, 11:41:37 am »

What does that mean. Anyway, moving on fences and railings doesn't give the message, so it's proboscis because of the Parkour perk.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: July 22, 2011, 11:42:56 am »

Run, run, RUNNNNNNNNN!
- Tripled the number of zombies

run where? O_o

My point exactly, especially if that 'spawn anywhere' is as anywhere as I fear >_>

Its like, la-di-da strolling out my house for the first time since outbreak, got my hoodie on and OMFG *runs away from swarm of zombies*

Yep, that's pretty much how it goes. It's survival from minute one... No hand-outs here... You fight and scrap for every second of life. No rambo crap here! :D

If you make it across the road to the clothing store that is already a legendary achievement :P! The idea is that you rely more on finding a good safehouse and locking it down. Board the windows and go out on raids for ever-diminishing amounts of guns, ammo, food and meds.

PS - updating with zombie dogs that're much faster than regular zombies and will definitely catch up to you and tear you a new ass (don't get caught out in an open area, stick to cover and don't make a lot of noise).

Also thinking of nerfing backpack carry volume so you have to make more trips for resources. Definitely nerfing the amount of loot you can get from one location.

PPS - After I upload the mod I'm making a survival leaderboard :P.

I recommend you give it a whirl... It'll make a man outta ya :P!

If zombies can spawn anywhere, then they could also pop up within your safehouse, no matter how fortified it is. Sounds like a Russian roulette. Not much of a game left: just waiting to die. Especially given how you seem to penalize staying on the move. Really, what's left? :o

Also, if zombies are always catching you and you're always getting hurt, you're dead. Meds become as bad as pain, speed-wise, once you take enough.

That said, I understand vanilla safehouse play can become pretty easy once you know what you're doing. I find it way more fun to be always on the move, but this mod might spice things up for those post-apocalyptic couch potatoes. :P

A human in perfect condition (not starving, not dehydrated, not in pain, not encumbered badly) will just barely outpace the zombies 99% of the time and I do mean JUST barely (although because of the varied speed you might take a hit or two if you're careless, once you see the zombies you should already be running, not 'just getting that last garden hose or can of tinned peaches'... RUNNING FOR YOUR LIFE), however because there are so many it's very easy to get trapped and boxed in. Staying in tip top shape is more important than ever before and the use of speed/stamina enhancing pills is more important than ever before (aka - caffeine pills, etc).

This is the apocalypse... You are not meant to survive... If you somehow manage to it should be through sheer determination, skill and strategy, not dumb luck or exploits like repeatedly smashing zombies through windows :P. This is the ARMA II to the Call of Duty Modern Warfare... I wouldn't call it so much of a game as more of a simulator by the time I get done with it :P.

You can play the 'on the move' game but just don't be expecting to be able to lug around 100kilos of equipment and the kitchen sink to boot and dance circles around the zombies... Eventually the zombies will catch you... If zombie movies have taught me anything it's that you can't outpace the undead :P... This mods not being made for just anyone... It'll sort the boys from the men :).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:10:19 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: July 22, 2011, 11:47:46 am »

Reason: Daughter it's coming tonight for sure.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: July 22, 2011, 11:58:20 am »

Ronin, did you actually change the spawn setup then? Because by default in the game I've had things spawn inside with me before. It's not common, but it's very easy to get enemies spawning inside your defenses if you hole up somwhere of decent size, and I've had enemies literally spawn right next to me in an open room with unbroken windows and closed doors. (Wasps in particular are bad at this, if there's a house nearby with wasps they will happily spawn inside your own, so maybe not as relevant to your game since zombies tend to spawn based on radius).

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: July 22, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »

Reason: Daughter it's coming tonight for sure.

Take your time man, it's not like you're being paid... Everyone else give him some breathing room please... Sheesh...

Ronin, did you actually change the spawn setup then? Because by default in the game I've had things spawn inside with me before. It's not common, but it's very easy to get enemies spawning inside your defenses if you hole up somwhere of decent size, and I've had enemies literally spawn right next to me in an open room with unbroken windows and closed doors. (Wasps in particular are bad at this, if there's a house nearby with wasps they will happily spawn inside your own, so maybe not as relevant to your game since zombies tend to spawn based on radius).

I have not witnessed this but if it's true I'm guessing that they might be able to somehow get in there. If it happens in vanilla I ain't gonna change it here... More fun :P! Keeps you on your toes... Maybe they crawled in through a hole... Maybe they came outta some unexplored nook of the house... Maybe they got in while you were out on a raid... Who knows :D! In reality I suppose in the event of an apocalypse structural integrity would almost certainly be compromised. I'm not apologizing for the brutal difficulty, games these days are too easy and if every game doesn't have a quick-save feature and the like all the bubble-wrapped kidlets QQ (not saying that that's you, just making a point)... NO COMPROMISES! :D This is Bay 12, where losing is fun!

EDIT: Thank you for pointing this out, I edited my original post so as not to be misleading.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:14:02 pm by The13thRonin »

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: July 22, 2011, 12:17:57 pm »

Zombies will not spawn inside your safe-house. I assumed that people would understand this. The game keeps persistent zombie locations (I believe they wander through a set territory). This is the only place they will not spawn at the games outset. However if they track you through sight or smell (and they are very good at that now) they will smash their way inside and then you're in a world of pain.

Also a human in perfect condition (not starving, not dehydrated, not in pain, not encumbered badly) will just barely outpace the zombies 99% of the time and I do mean JUST barely (although because of the varied speed you might take a hit or two if you're careless, once you see the zombies you should already be running, not 'just getting that last garden hose or can of tinned peaches'... RUNNING FOR YOUR LIFE), however because there are so many it's very easy to get trapped and boxed in. Staying in tip top shape is more important than ever before and the use of speed/stamina enhancing pills is more important than ever before (aka - caffeine pills, etc).

This is the apocalypse... You are not meant to survive... If you somehow manage to it should be through sheer determination, skill and strategy, not dumb luck or exploits like repeatedly smashing zombies through windows :P.

You can play the 'on the move' game but just don't be expecting to be able to lug around 100kilos of equipment and the kitchen sink to boot and dance circles around the zombies... Eventually the zombies will catch you... If zombie movies have taught me anything it's that you can't outpace the undead :P... This mods not being made for just anyone... It'll sort the boys from the men :).

That was just a brilliant post.

To be honest, your mod is not my cup of tea. I generally dislike when authors put everything against the player in nearly-sadistic ways (the result is usually less "artistic", IMO).
The game is fairly hard as it is now. Even if you hoard and munchkin your way around, you are never entirely safe (or at least I didn't find any invincible combo that doesn't require absurd stats or cheating). But it's also lenient on how we play, giving a wide array of strategies, and emergent gameplay.
As much as it's awesome to have live-or-die battles with monsters, it's also awesome to try to hoard or build as much as you can, or exploring around and finding strange items, or even appreciating the randomness of the terrain generator.

HOWEVER. The way you put it in that post. Really makes me want to give it a try. You put every possible argument in favor of your modifications in there. Even fully aware that it's not my thing, that explanation makes so much sense that I can't help but think it's awesome. I should hire you for marketing. (well, it can do without the REAL MAN comments though, it's a game either way :P )
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: July 22, 2011, 12:21:26 pm »

Thinking for a bit, you know what mechanic I'd really like to see? Exhaustion.

It will steadily build up over time and reduce more quickly (usually) if you stop and take a breather (maybe if you've got a REAL run mode enabled, and the current run mode can be renamed CAUTION MODE?). Function of strength, though. In fact, if I find the time this weekend, I might see what I can do about putting something like that in.

Because of you think about it, in most zombie movies its easy to sprint away from zombies. But zombies NEVER get tired, and they don't stop, so its harder to outrun them in the long term.

Hmm... exhaustion might also have a very small chance of critical injury (effected by Dex and Perception) while in the new run mode, and a much increased chance when moving over difficult terrain.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: July 22, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »

Zombies will not spawn inside your safe-house. I assumed that people would understand this. The game keeps persistent zombie locations (I believe they wander through a set territory). This is the only place they will not spawn at the games outset. However if they track you through sight or smell (and they are very good at that now) they will smash their way inside and then you're in a world of pain.

Also a human in perfect condition (not starving, not dehydrated, not in pain, not encumbered badly) will just barely outpace the zombies 99% of the time and I do mean JUST barely (although because of the varied speed you might take a hit or two if you're careless, once you see the zombies you should already be running, not 'just getting that last garden hose or can of tinned peaches'... RUNNING FOR YOUR LIFE), however because there are so many it's very easy to get trapped and boxed in. Staying in tip top shape is more important than ever before and the use of speed/stamina enhancing pills is more important than ever before (aka - caffeine pills, etc).

This is the apocalypse... You are not meant to survive... If you somehow manage to it should be through sheer determination, skill and strategy, not dumb luck or exploits like repeatedly smashing zombies through windows :P.

I shall write an epic AAR when I'm done :)!

That was just a brilliant post.

To be honest, your mod is not my cup of tea. I generally dislike when authors put everything against the player in nearly-sadistic ways (the result is usually less "artistic", IMO).
The game is fairly hard as it is now. Even if you hoard and munchkin your way around, you are never entirely safe (or at least I didn't find any invincible combo that doesn't require absurd stats or cheating). But it's also lenient on how we play, giving a wide array of strategies, and emergent gameplay.
As much as it's awesome to have live-or-die battles with monsters, it's also awesome to try to hoard or build as much as you can, or exploring around and finding strange items, or even appreciating the randomness of the terrain generator.

HOWEVER. The way you put it in that post. Really makes me want to give it a try. You put every possible argument in favor of your modifications in there. Even fully aware that it's not my thing, that explanation makes so much sense that I can't help but think it's awesome. I should hire you for marketing. (well, it can do without the REAL MAN comments though, it's a game either way :P )

Haha thanks mate! You should give it a try when it's released. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback even if you don't like it :)!

I'm trying to not make it an everything VS the player situation but rather trying to force the player to make more tactical decisions and to also make the player feel 'unsafe' at all times.

On the one hand I think in a real apocalypse you'd have concerns like hordes of zombies... Scarce supplies (all the good stuff having been looted), not being able to move far without attracting attention, etc. I don't think you'd be able to just be like... BRING IT ZOMBIES... IMMA GET MY MACHETE AND DO SOME LVLING UP! Life's unforgiving and so too will be this mod... One zombie might be enough to take you out if you don't carefully consider how to deal with the threat.

On the other hand when the game becomes to 'safe' I think it stops being as fun. That's me of course, not everyone.

:D.

I shall write an epic AAR of desperate survival and defeat when I am done :D.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:41:44 pm by The13thRonin »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: July 22, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »

Yes, the update is linux-only, Windows users will have to wait until Head compiles it for you.

Finding dumpsters in the clothing store?  Sounds like you didn't make clean.

I will probably lump in a crafting update with building, as they have a lot in common.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: July 22, 2011, 12:37:23 pm »

Thinking for a bit, you know what mechanic I'd really like to see? Exhaustion.

It will steadily build up over time and reduce more quickly (usually) if you stop and take a breather (maybe if you've got a REAL run mode enabled, and the current run mode can be renamed CAUTION MODE?). Function of strength, though. In fact, if I find the time this weekend, I might see what I can do about putting something like that in.

Because of you think about it, in most zombie movies its easy to sprint away from zombies. But zombies NEVER get tired, and they don't stop, so its harder to outrun them in the long term.

Hmm... exhaustion might also have a very small chance of critical injury (effected by Dex and Perception) while in the new run mode, and a much increased chance when moving over difficult terrain.

Well, even right now they are relentless, if you don't have enough speed they will pile up behind you like the Conga of the Dead, and it's fairly easy to collect speed penalties from pain, tiredness and drugs. It sounds like a good mod idea though.
I agree in that run mode should be caution mode, by the way. While RUN actually serves to...well, run, it also serves as notification when your defenses are breached and stuff. Its functionality is more related to caution than actually running.

I will probably lump in a crafting update with building, as they have a lot in common.

That sounds awesome, anything related to items makes me extra happy. Can you make it so you can combine pasta sauces with cooked pasta? I tried to, and was disappointed when saw that 'a'pplying the sauce made the player eat it :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:40:56 pm by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 777