Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260361 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2640 on: July 22, 2011, 02:47:00 pm »

Yeah, I think it should be at least twice that - surviving a single season should be an impressive achievement, but the seasons should be tied to the character, so if you keep playing you'll eventually have a character get to winter. :P
I second this, I'm on day 29 on my current character and am pretty well settled in to survive a winter.  Also we need gun manuals/high skill combat manuals.  It pisses me off when I fortify a massive library complex and can only spend time skilling crafting and talking skills.  I mean gun manuals, karate training books, weapons training books are real things in this world.  And I think getting to combat skill level 5 or so would pretty well simulate how far someone could learn to fight via books.  Cause how it is now the only way to train is too make a choke point, have a ton of first aid kits and set off a series of explosions :X
Nom nom nom

Sir Moops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: July 22, 2011, 02:51:50 pm »

Will there be graphics support in this game eventually?

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 22, 2011, 02:53:14 pm »

Yeah, I think it should be at least twice that - surviving a single season should be an impressive achievement, but the seasons should be tied to the character, so if you keep playing you'll eventually have a character get to winter. :P
I second this, I'm on day 29 on my current character and am pretty well settled in to survive a winter.  Also we need gun manuals/high skill combat manuals.  It pisses me off when I fortify a massive library complex and can only spend time skilling crafting and talking skills.  I mean gun manuals, karate training books, weapons training books are real things in this world.  And I think getting to combat skill level 5 or so would pretty well simulate how far someone could learn to fight via books.  Cause how it is now the only way to train is too make a choke point, have a ton of first aid kits and set off a series of explosions :X

29!? Now THAT's something.

Maybe make each month a season. It's still weird, but I guess doing a full year season cycle is a bit too much... or is it?

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: July 22, 2011, 03:03:39 pm »

This game needs no graphics support.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: July 22, 2011, 03:18:43 pm »

about seasons:
Why not make them last as long as real seasons. I like the way time works in this game and see no reason for seasons to be very short.
(although my record is 2 days :S)

This game needs no graphics support.

Agree

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: July 22, 2011, 03:21:54 pm »

I mean gun manuals, karate training books, weapons training books are real things in this world.

And they are all real things in the game as well, I've found skill books for pretty much every skill but dodging, to be honest. The thing is, its assumed most of the more valuable ones have been looted already, so they are kind of rare. And I don't think any of them can get your skill above... 5, I think?

Would be cool to have higher level books and then gaps in the middle, so the books will help you skip a couple levels but you DO have to practice the physical stuff on your own as well.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: July 22, 2011, 03:24:38 pm »

./

There's nothing inherently wrong with adding tile support. Don't be all TROLOLOLO Rougelike elitist you guys.

I mean gun manuals, karate training books, weapons training books are real things in this world.

And they are all real things in the game as well, I've found skill books for pretty much every skill but dodging, to be honest. The thing is, its assumed most of the more valuable ones have been looted already, so they are kind of rare. And I don't think any of them can get your skill above... 5, I think?

Personally I feel that books for combat skills should be limited to getting you to 1 or 2 skill. Study without practical application isn't effective without a teacher when it comes to combat.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: July 22, 2011, 03:26:50 pm »

The challenge is accepted! Once Head releases a Windows source :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: July 22, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »

The only thing wrong with adding tile support is the amount of work it would take. I'm sure if you write the code for it, Whales will be happy to roll it into the official version.

And Janet, about the books, I don't think they should be limited to get you TO 1 or 2 skill, so much as giving at most a level or two per book, so its like:

Basic fighting: lv0 -> lv1
Intermediate techniques: Lv3->Lv5
Advanced Techniques: Lv7->Lv9

So the books help at every step along the spectrum, but books alone won't get you past level 1.

Also, Deon, WHAT challenge. There are ALREADY fighting books that get you to level5.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: July 22, 2011, 03:28:30 pm »

I think seasons should last 30 days. There's no way I'm going to last for 365 days :P

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: July 22, 2011, 03:31:04 pm »

I've found books that teach you way pass 5. there's one for computers called ICPB or something. don't remember the exact level it goes, but i'm pretty sure its like 7 or 8

Also, I kind of agree with janet there. Books should work more like recipes in crafting

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:42 pm »

Why do you want to kill us? We mean no harm, we seek only hugs and love.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2652 on: July 22, 2011, 03:37:12 pm »

Why do you want to kill us? We mean no harm, we seek only hugs and love.
-snip-
Dat dere is just ugly.
And lies.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: July 22, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »

It's more... I think when NPCs aren't broken friendly trainers should be the ones to teach you the "Advanced" stuff. Where books should teach you how to get yourself started on your own. Books for crafting makes more sense since those are mainly instructional compared to... Well. Learning how best to attack a zombie with a crowbar. I just don't think any book on anything you can find will be anything other than teaching you the basics. Anything greater won't really apply to the monsters you fight mostly.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: July 22, 2011, 03:41:32 pm »

It's more... I think when NPCs aren't broken friendly trainers should be the ones to teach you the "Advanced" stuff. Where books should teach you how to get yourself started on your own. Books for crafting makes more sense since those are mainly instructional compared to... Well. Learning how best to attack a zombie with a crowbar. I just don't think any book on anything you can find will be anything other than teaching you the basics. Anything greater won't really apply to the monsters you fight mostly.
There aren't that many books for combat anyway. And they don't teach high-leveled stuff.
It's mostly just First-Aid/Electronics/Mechanics/Cooking/Computers stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 777