Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263145 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #3330 on: July 27, 2011, 08:53:46 am »

Might as well rename shotgun to 'boom-stick' in the game too then ![/quote]I am okay with this.

Also, back to the charger thing... there was actually a weapon in Metro that basically had one of those chargers built in, it was basically a BB-railgun.  You had to manually charge it, and the more electricity stored (it could momentarily be overcharged, as well) the more powerful the shot would be.
I SAID COME IN, DON'T STAND THERE
Is it possible to make alt-fire "charge" a weapon like that?  Not actually firing it, but temporarily increasing the gun's piercing or damage to a certain point, and making it degrade lower than normal if you fire and don't recharge?

@Nien, you can check what your bionics do in the bionics page ("p" for "powers" IIRC).  Just hit ? I think, it's listed at the page bottom.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: July 27, 2011, 08:54:24 am »

In the bionic screen, press ! and then the letter of the bionic for a description.  Subdermal filament negates temperature changes between 0-140, and diamond cornea's increase perception by 2.
Ok thanks. Also Subderal Carbon Filament is a thin armor under your skin.

Also
Also how can I power myself with well nothing?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: July 27, 2011, 08:57:02 am »

You don't. They are passive systems, and if you start with android, you can start with two passive systems rather then an active and a power source. It's actually somewhat frustrating, since the armor bionics can nastily kill your encumbrance and stats.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: July 27, 2011, 09:11:38 am »

Supposedly, the "Metabolic Interchange" bionic lets you substitute food for batteries i.e. increases your hunger when you use power. I haven't used it myself though.

I have no idea whether using MI along with other power-source bionics would break something though. Alternatively, solar panels require no real action aside from going out when the sun is up, and the internal furnace is broken due to the huge availability of usable items; particularly corpses and wood. Both are still limited by your maximum battery charge.

Most passive bionics don't require power to use, such as the aforementioned diamond cornea and armor bionics. Passives that do use power, like the air filtration and memory bank bionics, simply won't work until you have a source of power.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:15:54 am by Blaze »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: July 27, 2011, 09:13:22 am »

Sooo, I've tried and it worked. You will get playgrounds in the next version.

Which building types/areas do you want to see?

I am thinking about bars and warehouses right now. More ideas?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: July 27, 2011, 09:14:25 am »

There should be a way to put stuff at shelves and refrigerators.
Food gets rotten very quickly in my opinion. I don't rembember when but I think it was day 10 when I started seeing rotten food.
Foods in refrigerator shouldn't rot that quickly.

Keep Cataclysm going it's awesome  :D

Power has already been out for several days when the game starts, and I can speak from first-hand experience when I say that a fridge is no better than a cardboard box after a couple days with no power.  Also, the timing of when food goes bad is less a realism thing and more a difficulty balance thing--when to start forcing the player to work for food.

You don't. They are passive systems, and if you start with android, you can start with two passive systems rather then an active and a power source. It's actually somewhat frustrating, since the armor bionics can nastily kill your encumbrance and stats.

Yup.  This is why Android will be 86d soon.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: July 27, 2011, 09:18:11 am »

Supposedly, the "Metabolic Interchange" bionic lets you substitute food for batteries i.e. increases your hunger when you use power. I haven't used it myself though.
I'll try that later, Going to sleep I've been up for 17 hous and the time before that, 22 hours, Night.

Bars yes also more smaller towns and how about a pool hall with new pool sticks?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: July 27, 2011, 09:50:17 am »

Deon's little mod V11.

- 17 new food items, including ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, weird fruit, raw potato, baked potato, scrambled egg, bread, fruit pie, pizza, dinner, broth, soup, tomato juice, apple juice, peach juice, grape juice).
- New cooking recipes, which make cooking become a more useful skill, especially because now flour, sugar and salt take place of some previously edible food.
- New recipe for a superglue (weird fruit + ammonia, requires no skill and 1 unit of hotplate).
- Tweaks to cooking times.
- New gun mods (a scope for rifles and L.A.M. for everything, to increase accuracy).
- Army helmet is renamed to combat helmet and gets protective glasses (environment protection).
- Sledgehammers appear in more places.
- Zombies do significally more melee damage.
- New blind zombie (zombie banshee).
- Season changed to summer, less painful acid rain.
- New terrain - badlands (with litter and junk piles).
- New location - playground (with a slide, monkey bars, a sandbox and a bench; just one type for now, I will update it later).
- Gun names now contain the gun type and ammo.
- Juices are fun to drink; you can craft orange, apple and tomato juices.

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k9etkx4wsgb9o9j
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:51:50 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: July 27, 2011, 09:51:04 am »

Bars yes also more smaller towns and how about a pool hall with new pool sticks?
Actually I wanted to add pool tables to bars, with pool cues and balls :).

P.S. The latest version has greatly reduced badlands' count, now there are junkyards here and there, no more badlands around towns everywhere.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:52:59 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: July 27, 2011, 09:52:47 am »

How about construction sites? Lot's of spare (heavy) build materials lying around, tools of all sorts..?
I know it's covered with one of the stores already, but it's open!
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: July 27, 2011, 09:56:33 am »

How about construction sites? Lot's of spare (heavy) build materials lying around, tools of all sorts..?
I know it's covered with one of the stores already, but it's open!
A good place to find those awesome chains and sledgehammers, as well as other tools :P.

And once we get construction, a place to find materials for our safehouses and self-built walls!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: July 27, 2011, 10:05:46 am »

There should be a way to put stuff at shelves and refrigerators.
Food gets rotten very quickly in my opinion. I don't rembember when but I think it was day 10 when I started seeing rotten food.
Foods in refrigerator shouldn't rot that quickly.

Keep Cataclysm going it's awesome  :D

Power has already been out for several days when the game starts, and I can speak from first-hand experience when I say that a fridge is no better than a cardboard box after a couple days with no power.  Also, the timing of when food goes bad is less a realism thing and more a difficulty balance thing--when to start forcing the player to work for food.
Oh power is out I forgot about that. Even that cold air in there won't stop it from rotting it when it gets opened. This makes me think about another idea :D (this one isn't stupid I promise!)

How about being able to install a generator to a building? Finding fuel shouldn't be too difficult with all these gas stations around. A building with lights should attract zombies and survivors. You could even craft a device which allows you to fill dead batteries from a power socket. You could even install a radio transreciever! (Yeah I played Urban Dead)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: July 27, 2011, 10:07:18 am »

A good place to find those awesome chains and sledgehammers, as well as other tools :P.

And once we get construction, a place to find materials for our safehouses and self-built walls!

Well.. yes.. That's the idea :)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: July 27, 2011, 10:19:41 am »

I just met my first NPC's. There were two of them, I tried trading but they didn't have anything I wanted. Then as I was about to leave, their brains exploded.

What the hell?!
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: July 27, 2011, 10:53:18 am »

I just met my first NPC's. There were two of them, I tried trading but they didn't have anything I wanted. Then as I was about to leave, their brains exploded.

What the hell?!
I saw them only once in a house. I was getting some supplies and when I got something to carry with me she told me to stop and asked me to drop my weapon. I did and she carried on without doing anything. I probably stole something of hers without knowing.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 777