Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1262995 times)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4020 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:49 am »

Hey everyone.  Thanks for your ongoing support of Cataclysm--it's having enthuiastic players and modders that make creating a game worth it.
Cataclysm is, and always will be, free and open-source.  However, if you would like to encourage me to put more of my free time into Cataclysm, a donation is a great way to do so. :D
I've resisted the idea of accepting donations for Cataclysm for a long time, but the fact is I'm a starving artist, and would really appreciate it if you would show your support by making a small contribution to the game.  The more money I receive through donations, the more time I'll be able to put into Cataclysm--hey, maybe one day I'll be able to do like Bay 12 and develop Cataclysm full-time!
You can donate using the PayPal button at WhalesDev.com.  Thanks again for all your support.  I'll be keeping track of who donates, and will put up a Special Thanks section in the game--I'm also toying with the idea of putting statues to contributors in in-game parks, though we'll see what the response looks like before I commit to that.  Thank you so much for playing!

I like sending money to people who deserves them.
...hope paypal won't make you the same thing it did to notch and the guys who're making zomboid.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #4021 on: August 01, 2011, 04:59:20 am »

Hey everyone.  Thanks for your ongoing support of Cataclysm--it's having enthuiastic players and modders that make creating a game worth it.
Cataclysm is, and always will be, free and open-source.  However, if you would like to encourage me to put more of my free time into Cataclysm, a donation is a great way to do so. :D
I've resisted the idea of accepting donations for Cataclysm for a long time, but the fact is I'm a starving artist, and would really appreciate it if you would show your support by making a small contribution to the game.  The more money I receive through donations, the more time I'll be able to put into Cataclysm--hey, maybe one day I'll be able to do like Bay 12 and develop Cataclysm full-time!
You can donate using the PayPal button at WhalesDev.com.  Thanks again for all your support.  I'll be keeping track of who donates, and will put up a Special Thanks section in the game--I'm also toying with the idea of putting statues to contributors in in-game parks, though we'll see what the response looks like before I commit to that.  Thank you so much for playing!

Hi Whales,

I've sent a little something to show how much I appreciate both your creating the game, and especially your choice to make it Open-Source! Not to mention your choice of development platform, which makes things a lot more convenient for me :)

When I mentioned your thoughts to my girlfriend, regarding possibly implementing statues in the map, dedicated to supporters, she mentioned something similar having been done on Neverwinter Nights mods. More or less the same idea, contributors (both developers and those who'd donated) had statues/flower gardens created in the cities dedicated to them.

I think it's a very elegant way of having the contributors acknowledged within the game world, without actually affecting the game. I think it's much better than any sort of vanity item system, as implemented in some games, especially given that players wouldn't interact with each other directly on here.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: August 01, 2011, 07:01:50 am »

I am pretty much in the same situation, so despite being barely able to feed myself, I'll attempt to help a bit after payday next week.
However, never pull a "going full development". It makes updates far less frequent.  History has plenty of examples.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: August 01, 2011, 07:18:00 am »

When I get my hands on some cash, I will try and donate. Need a job first though.   :-\

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: August 01, 2011, 07:23:26 am »

By the way, as it stands now 'parks' are being generated WAY too often, especially considering there are so few kinds. I recommend either lowering their chance to spawn or adding more variety.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: August 01, 2011, 07:25:49 am »

Parks can be hell if the acid rain is coming down.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:53 am »

Ugh. Flying polyps, twice. The damn things can apparently come through basement walls, and walls in general.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: August 01, 2011, 08:36:44 am »

By the way, as it stands now 'parks' are being generated WAY too often, especially considering there are so few kinds. I recommend either lowering their chance to spawn or adding more variety.

I've toned down their placement quite a bit, but haven't pushed this change to git yet.

Thanks to everyone who's donated recently!  I understand those who would like to but can't--I don't have the money I'd like to spare for projects I admire, either (but some Cataclysm donations will probably wind up re-invested into the indie game community :) ).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: August 01, 2011, 09:49:06 am »

Sent 3 dollars your way.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: August 01, 2011, 09:50:48 am »

Sorry whales, I'm living paycheck to paycheck :P

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:18 am »

Sent 3 dollars your way.

Thanks!  I feel like I should be sending money your way for opening Cataclysm up to Windows users :P  All your contributions are greatly appreciated!

Sorry whales, I'm living paycheck to paycheck :P

Me too man, I know how it is.  Just playing and being a member of the community of excellent players is support enough!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: August 01, 2011, 10:50:00 am »

Wow, wolves don't fuck around. I've lost more characters to wolves in this game than I ever did in DF Adventure mode. It's starting to make animal empathy seem less gimmicky.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: August 01, 2011, 10:52:36 am »

Wow, wolves don't fuck around. I've lost more characters to wolves in this game than I ever did in DF Adventure mode. It's starting to make animal empathy seem less gimmicky.

Wolves in 40d were horrible. There was alway a ton of them and they could easily gang up on you.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: August 01, 2011, 11:02:38 am »

And then murder you horribly.

I'd love to donate to you Whales, but I don't exactly have money either.
Cataclysm is my favorite roguelike to date.
I don't count DF as a roguelike, though.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: August 01, 2011, 11:06:46 am »

Yep, cataclysm replaced rogue survivor for me then bumped up above crawl. I will probably donate something if get the money.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 777