Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263589 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4110 on: August 01, 2011, 05:35:25 pm »

OMG NOOOO i lost a good char cause i tried walking through a landmines field aaaaaaaah i didn'T know yellow # were mines xD

They aren't--brown # is a mound of dirt.  Sometimes they have land mines hidden under them, though :D  You can spot the land mines with sufficient Perception.

I've edited the in-game help to provide a clearer explanation of Morale/XP.  Basically it works like this (just to be redundant and clear):
Having high morale fills your XP.  Under the new, nerfed system, a Morale of 0-99 gives you a percentage chance to gain 1 XP each turn; 0 Morale means you have a 1% chance of gaining an XP, 49 Morale means you have a 50% chance, 99 morale means you have a 100% chance.
Morale 100 or greater gives you 1 XP each turn for every 100 Morale.
When you use a skill, the game attempts to take XP from your pool and put it into the skill used.  If your pool is empty, your skills will not improve.
Your Morale has no effect on how existing XP is used; even if you have negative Morale, you can still gain skills so long as your XP is not 0.

If you implement FZ's wearable weapons idea that could fit in.
Have a holster providing no volume bonus but be able to store handguns and hammers in them.

But what if I want to carry a bottle of water in my holster?  I'd rather leave holster use open for player interpretation, and not limit the player to what I (or anyone else) thinks is the "proper" use for that space.
I am considering limiting the player to one piece of clothing of any particular type.  This will mean no double-trenchcoating, which does seem a bit odd; it will also remove the "20 fanny packs + 20 holsters" exploit as a method of gaining huge amounts of storage space with no encumbrance.  Thoughts?

Yeah, no, I don't think this is needed. I think more body slot types, or fraction encumbrance, would be a better way to handle it. (though bonuses should still be at whole numbers). Two trenchoats or two backpacks makes perfect sense and is something I've done in real life to carry more. I mean, looping backpacks or wearing them over your chest certainly brings problems of its own, but its perfectly doable.

Also, holsters always give me a ton of encumbrance, so I've never used them at all. Has this changed?

I got to admit I'm not a big fan of the item limit giving additional points of encumbrance - a sweatshirt+t-shirt and a backpack encumbers way more than I feel it should.

Holsters don't occupy any body slot, and never have.  If they give you encumbrance, it's either because of a mod or a bug...

I might tone down the stacking penalty for the torso (even more).  Maybe ignore it for a certain number of 0-encumbrance items (e.g. t-shirts).  The backpack's to blame for most of that effect here, though, and that's a gameplay balance effect, to penalize melee characters, or to encourage them to play "monk-style" with a tightly-pruned inventory.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: August 01, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »

So I just tried online. Landmines and skeletons don't mix.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: August 01, 2011, 06:04:55 pm »

News from the field: Whales is going to finish the construction update tonight!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:33 pm »

:O How do you know this?

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: August 01, 2011, 06:08:05 pm »

Most splendid, I feel making a paypal account somehow became very important in the near future for me personally.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:11:09 pm by Ordokai »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: August 01, 2011, 06:08:33 pm »

It may have been a bug then, I haven't tried to use the holsters in several versions. It may also be a memory flaw - I remember it encumbering my legs, specifically. Is there any sort of "leg holster" that I might be thinking of instead?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: August 01, 2011, 06:09:51 pm »

HOPING TO!  I said I was hoping to.  Don't make promises I can't keep  :D

It may have been a bug then, I haven't tried to use the holsters in several versions. It may also be a memory flaw - I remember it encumbering my legs, specifically. Is there any sort of "leg holster" that I might be thinking of instead?

Oh, that would be "bootstrap" which is indeed a leg holster.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: August 01, 2011, 06:10:37 pm »

All hail the Whale(s)! xD

Edit: Any work put into it is another step forward.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:14:07 pm by Lolzwheejars »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: August 01, 2011, 06:12:38 pm »

Oh my, I will have to lead this character to a horrible death quick!
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: August 01, 2011, 06:14:20 pm »

Oh, that would be "bootstrap" which is indeed a leg holster.
ah, well then, that was the one I was surprised by since it was super encumbering. I though I could at least wear 2 (one per leg) and a pair of pants without issues, but I think that brought me up to an impressive 5 or 6 encumbrance! It was crazy!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: August 01, 2011, 06:14:25 pm »

I am considering limiting the player to one piece of clothing of any particular type.  This will mean no double-trenchcoating, which does seem a bit odd; it will also remove the "20 fanny packs + 20 holsters" exploit as a method of gaining huge amounts of storage space with no encumbrance.  Thoughts?
But it would make wearing a t-shirt and a light jacket over it impossible. Maybe, when you wear a clothing over a clothing, encumber value should be doubled? You can move freely with a trenchcoat but you can't with two trenchcoats.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Construction update? What is construction update. I don't want to search for it. SOMEONE TELL ME!!!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: August 01, 2011, 06:14:47 pm »

A few versions ago equipping any item would list off all items that were encumbering you.
So if your legs were encumbered and you equipped the holster it would display the encumberance message.
*Hugs*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: August 01, 2011, 06:16:10 pm »

Yeah, but the issue was that the only thing I was wearing was the pants and the bootstraps (and a pair of sneakers), so I'm pretty sure I know what the cause was.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: August 01, 2011, 06:21:09 pm »

Deon did a very good job designing the bar layout :D I especially like the back entrance

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: August 01, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »

EDIT: Construction update? What is construction update. I don't want to search for it. SOMEONE TELL ME!!!
DIY Safehouse update.

Basically you can build.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 777