Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263620 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5025 on: August 11, 2011, 04:47:38 pm »

Tweaks I would like to see to the XP system would be more of that scaling mentioned previously (higher xp = higher xp allocated to the skill when used) and possibly a very slow increase to stats. Stats would take huge amounts of xp, like whales mentioned, but would preferably have similar scaling to the xp allocation of skills, with a minimum cutoff number (say, for example, if you have under 3000 xp, none are allocated to stats). Though preferably the stats would still be gained slow enough for even very happy people to only get one a week or so on average. To prevent the silly stuff like 'kill 500 doors for str training,' it would preferably be allocated even without any actions (merely the passage of time) and would give you a point in a random stat. It would allow stats to increase without making the player feel obligated to do silly things to increase it and still keep the stat increases relatively rare.

As for mutation, I'm not too keen on the idea of xp affecting it, for obvious reasons including "I was so happy last week, I sprouted gills!"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:49:29 pm by alway »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5026 on: August 11, 2011, 04:51:36 pm »

well, remember, xp is a measurement of your long term happiness, not your short term happiness. and the gaining new mutations thing would only happen with a certain trait.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:44 pm »

Sigh. I'll be the only guy that played the game and never got a chance to bump stats up.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5028 on: August 11, 2011, 06:03:10 pm »

Theres already a trait that gives mutations, it's called genetically unstable. Mutates you every so often, averages to every 2 days. I don't really see why XP should help you mutate. You can get plenty of mutations just by raiding a science lab and drinking all the mutagens/eating all the body parts.

As far as raising stats, bumping them a bunch makes the game way too easy. Thats one reason I'm against making it easy to raise stats. Having a very high strength makes melee super effective and negates recoil on guns, very high int makes your skills keep going up and up and up, having really high perception makes you get headshots constantly, and a very high dex does the same but to a lesser extent - and affects melee/throwing as well.

Char with his stats to 20/20/20/20 is unstoppable.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: August 11, 2011, 06:19:31 pm »

That just means the stat system is a bit unbalanced.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: August 11, 2011, 06:24:54 pm »

It pains me to know that a thrown dead rabbit will never decapitate a hulk. You know, in the spirit of The Anus of Discontent's bronze colossus kill..
Bah, I'll get a dead rabbit thrower off the ground regardless of how softly they hit (bounce?)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:45:10 pm by debvon »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: August 11, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »

You still wouldn't be strong/fast/smart/perceptive enough to overpower/outrun/outsmart/outsense boolet. Open a wrong door in a science lab and a turret can ace you in one round.

Maybe you could tie XP to the crafting system? If you have enough experience, you could "improvise" around the ingredients/tools of a certain item, so long as the ingredient isn't completely vital to the product. Or you could substitute another, similar item in place of a certain ingredient for a smaller XP cost.

On the subject of crafting; grenades/mines could use a boost, considering how much harder it is to get grenade ingredients compared to molotovs. It's harder to find a tin can than it is to find a glass bottle.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:31:01 pm by Blaze »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: August 11, 2011, 06:25:52 pm »

A thrown dead rabbit would kill another rabbit.
So :D
*Hugs*

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: August 11, 2011, 06:32:56 pm »

You still wouldn't be strong/fast/smart/perceptive enough to overpower/outrun/outsmart/outsense boolet. Open a wrong door in a science lab and a turret can ace you in one round.

Maybe you could tie XP to the crafting system? If you have enough experience, you could "improvise" around the ingredients/tools of a certain item, so long as the ingredient isn't completely vital to the product. Or you could substitute another, similar item in place of a certain ingredient for a smaller XP cost.

On the subject of crafting; grenades/mines could use a boost, considering how much harder it is to get grenade ingredients compared to molotovs. It's harder to find a tin can than it is to find a glass bottle.

Heh, my old char ran through science labs shooting turrets down like nothing. Every so often one managed to hit him. High stats = superman :P
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: August 11, 2011, 06:42:16 pm »

Perpetual rabbit slaying. I like the way you think.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: August 11, 2011, 06:43:54 pm »

If you could get some sort of rabbit launcher you could have self replicating ammo.
*Hugs*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: August 11, 2011, 06:44:06 pm »

Building on my last suggestion:
When you level up, and trade in higher amounts of xp for a multiplier gain - Those lost xp aren't completely gone, but distributed (partially) among relevant stats! Having over 3k experience means you spend 6xp to get 3 points towards, say, melee - with a point going towards strength and dex as well. 5k means 10xp is spent for 4skill... but 2 points go to each of skill and dex. And so on. When you get, say... a thousand points in a stat, that stat goes up a level.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5037 on: August 11, 2011, 06:45:54 pm »

Perpetual rabbit slaying. I like the way you think.
That is, assuming she doesn't deal enough damage to overkill the target rabbit. The original thrown one should be reusable though.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: August 11, 2011, 07:15:11 pm »

Bug report:

Trying to figure out why accuracy wasn't working for gun mods, I found out the problem in itypedef:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Should be:

With those changes it properly references accuracy and all the accuracy modifying gun mods work.

Oh hey, I just found the reason people complained of being able to hit things less at high skill. Not an overflow, just a bad formula.
deviation -= rng(0, 5 * (4 - p.sklevel[firing->skill_used] - 4));

That extra 4 - in front is screwing it up, making every skill point in whatever gun you have throw off your accuracy by 5.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:13:50 pm by Paul »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: August 11, 2011, 09:12:31 pm »

Bug report:

Trying to figure out why accuracy wasn't working for gun mods, I found out the problem in itypedef:

Should be:

With those changes it properly references accuracy and all the accuracy modifying gun mods work.

Oh hey, I just found the reason people complained of being able to hit things less at high skill. Not an overflow, just a bad formula.
deviation -= rng(0, 5 * (4 - p.sklevel[firing->skill_used] - 4));

That extra 4 - in front is screwing it up, making every skill point in whatever gun you have throw off your accuracy by 5.

Quoting for visibility.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 777