Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263196 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6135 on: September 14, 2011, 05:04:18 pm »

Perchance it could be destroyed/ripped off by torso attacks? And acid would work but normally damage from acid goes to your feet. . . I'm stumped.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: September 14, 2011, 05:17:27 pm »

That's the problem of the acid, it goes to your feet, whereas bile is spitted on you.
The watch is currently implemented as a "glove", so arms damage should destroy it, but testing on the old mod revealed that it is rare, so I had to think some other circumstance that leads to the watch destruction. I don't know if the code permits to damage an item that covers the hands by torso attacks, I did not read that part of code.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: September 14, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »

Why does a watch only last three days? Watches aren't exactly high-power devices. They can survive for extremely long times using very tiny batteries.

Only knowing if it's day or night without a watch is... pretty silly. Realistically, you'd at least know if it's around dawn, morning, mid-day, afternoon, dusk, or night.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: September 14, 2011, 06:13:57 pm »

Why does a watch only last three days? Watches aren't exactly high-power devices. They can survive for extremely long times using very tiny batteries.

Only knowing if it's day or night without a watch is... pretty silly. Realistically, you'd at least know if it's around dawn, morning, mid-day, afternoon, dusk, or night.
Or if you are a man, you can tell by looking at the sun.

And if you're a sailor, look at the stars.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6139 on: September 14, 2011, 07:44:17 pm »

bug report here, I'm trying to use a stack of first aid kits and getting a segment fault. What happens is I have twelve in the stack, I use the first one and have eleven, I try to use another and get a segment fault. Probably related to Item stacking.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: September 14, 2011, 08:09:09 pm »

Just a little update; item stacking is working beautifully :)  At long last, right?  Time to write a new drop interface which allows you to select a portion of a stack...

bug report here, I'm trying to use a stack of first aid kits and getting a segment fault. What happens is I have twelve in the stack, I use the first one and have eleven, I try to use another and get a segment fault. Probably related to Item stacking.

Some third-party stacking mod?  Don't worry, you'll have the real thing soon, completely with its own set of bugs! :D
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6141 on: September 14, 2011, 08:24:59 pm »

Sorry, That was in reference to the mod drevlin just dropped on us. On another note, I just had another segfault while sleeping. and it is repeating everytime I reload the game. I'm wondering if this could something to do with healing? or maybe an item nearby is being processed, and causing segfaults?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:55:06 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: September 14, 2011, 09:36:13 pm »

Sorry, That was in reference to the mod drevlin just dropped on us. On another note, I just had another segfault while sleeping. and it is repeating everytime I reload the game. I'm wondering if this could something to do with healing? or maybe an item nearby is being processed, and causing segfaults?

Ahh, gotcha.  Judging from Drevlin's post here, he's doing some pretty technically ambitious stuff here, which is awesome, but from experience it definitely looks like the kind of thing that could germinate bugs.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: September 15, 2011, 01:37:44 am »

Hey, what version are we on?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: September 15, 2011, 03:33:58 am »

Apparently, queen triffids can spawn underground and tunnel through rock.

Goodbye, another character. ::)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: September 15, 2011, 03:38:54 am »

You think that's bad? A recent character of mine was standing in a house and a hunting horror and a mi-go (Very Bad News) showed up out of nowhere and slaughtered him.

My most successful character is up to eight fanny packs right now. It's like he's got some kind of super utility belt. And yet gun holsters don't layer well with pants yet.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: September 15, 2011, 06:09:45 am »

1)Why does a watch only last three days? Watches aren't exactly high-power devices. They can survive for extremely long times using very tiny batteries.

2)Only knowing if it's day or night without a watch is... pretty silly. Realistically, you'd at least know if it's around dawn, morning, mid-day, afternoon, dusk, or night.

1)True, the reason behind this is that if the watch lasts long, like in real life, you don't have the problem to find batteries to recharge it and the gameplay become less interesting.

2)With the old mod the player knows if it's morning, noon, afternoon, dusk or night, but a big problem arises: if you have an unsynchronized watch that, for example, shows 5.00 PM and you know that is noon, you can deduce that your watch is 5 hours ahead and you don't have to reach a computer to synch it.
I was thinking to make this perception-related, e.g. if you have a perception of 15 you are able to know the phase of the day, otherwise you don't, but I don't know how to balance this. Do you have any idea?
(I was also thinking that sleeping could modify the player's perception of time.)

On another note, I just had another segfault while sleeping. and it is repeating everytime I reload the game. I'm wondering if this could something to do with healing? or maybe an item nearby is being processed, and causing segfaults?
On linux I didn't notice segfaults, but I noticed some warnings due to the stacking mod merge. This was the most difficult mod to merge because we don't have any diffs, and I haven't tested it properly. The watch mod should be safe because I tested it deeply, and the other mods should not create problems. I think I'll try to remove the stacking mod to see if it resolves the problem.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: September 15, 2011, 06:24:24 am »

I was thinking to make this perception-related, e.g. if you have a perception of 15 you are able to know the phase of the day, otherwise you don't, but I don't know how to balance this.
The more perception you have, the less margin of error you have about the phase of the day. If you have perfect perception, when you check the sky for the phase of day you get closer to the real time that phase is. Every point below 15 perception increases the margin of error you have by 20 minutes.
14 perception: 20 minutes error
12: 1 hour
9: 2 hours
6: 3 hours, which should be the cut-off point, being nicely halfway between sunrise, and noon.
(sunrise at 6?AM, noon at 12AM. If you're on 9AM, it could go either way with the 3 hour margin for error; otherwise you might get stupid crap like "yes, it's still midnight!" with 1 perception despite the sun being clearly visible)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:26:09 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: September 15, 2011, 06:33:02 am »

1)True, the reason behind this is that if the watch lasts long, like in real life, you don't have the problem to find batteries to recharge it and the gameplay become less interesting.

Personally I don't find having t recharge it interesting gameplay, batteries are not overly hard to find to it's just a chore.

2)With the old mod the player knows if it's morning, noon, afternoon, dusk or night, but a big problem arises: if you have an unsynchronized watch that, for example, shows 5.00 PM and you know that is noon, you can deduce that your watch is 5 hours ahead and you don't have to reach a computer to synch it.

I would assume the player estimates of noon is a while enough range that you couldn't guess the time that accurately, You'd know your watch is a number of hours a head, probably from 3 to 7 or so depending how wide the noon range is but that is about it. Seems inaccurate enough for me.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: September 15, 2011, 12:29:13 pm »

1)Why does a watch only last three days? Watches aren't exactly high-power devices. They can survive for extremely long times using very tiny batteries.

2)Only knowing if it's day or night without a watch is... pretty silly. Realistically, you'd at least know if it's around dawn, morning, mid-day, afternoon, dusk, or night.

That's what I'd do in real life. It seems like you're trying to make telling time some sort of important aspect to the game, but I'm really not sure why that would make the game more fun in any way.

I don't find that adding artificial difficulty into a game like this to really help anything. I like the idea of needing a watch to accurately tell time, but I don't see any reason why it should become a chore to deal with. It's a watch. It's nice to have, but that's about it. The majority of the time you don't care exactly when it is, just roughly how much time you have before it gets dark. It's not like people didn't know how figure out roughly how long they had before the sun set before watches were invented.

I'm all for adding interesting things to the game, but for something like this it either needs to be realistic or fantastic. Making a simple real-world item super-complicated to deal with is just annoying, not fun.

My 2 cents on it, anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 777