Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263103 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6150 on: September 15, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »

1)Why does a watch only last three days? Watches aren't exactly high-power devices. They can survive for extremely long times using very tiny batteries.

2)Only knowing if it's day or night without a watch is... pretty silly. Realistically, you'd at least know if it's around dawn, morning, mid-day, afternoon, dusk, or night.

1)True, the reason behind this is that if the watch lasts long, like in real life, you don't have the problem to find batteries to recharge it and the gameplay become less interesting.

2)With the old mod the player knows if it's morning, noon, afternoon, dusk or night, but a big problem arises: if you have an unsynchronized watch that, for example, shows 5.00 PM and you know that is noon, you can deduce that your watch is 5 hours ahead and you don't have to reach a computer to synch it.

That's what I'd do in real life. It seems like you're trying to make telling time some sort of important aspect to the game, but I'm really not sure why that would make the game more fun in any way.

I don't find that adding artificial difficulty into a game like this to really help anything. I like the idea of needing a watch to accurately tell time, but I don't see any reason why it should become a chore to deal with. It's a watch. It's nice to have, but that's about it. The majority of the time you don't care exactly when it is, just roughly how much time you have before it gets dark. It's not like people didn't know how figure out roughly how long they had before the sun set before watches were invented.

I'm all for adding interesting things to the game, but for something like this it either needs to be realistic or fantastic. Making a simple real-world item super-complicated to deal with is just annoying, not fun.

My 2 cents on it, anyway.

This is pretty much why I'm not interested in merging the watch mod.  It's a neat concept, but it streamlines gameplay to just assume that the player is wearing a watch from the start of the game, that it's accurate and that its batteries won't run out at any point.

Progress update: stacking is working beautifully, adding a multi-drop interface right now that supports dropping part of a stack.  Crafting using nearby objects is working fine; after multi-drop, the last thing that needs doing is writing the interface for construction.

Tomorrow is the Annual Roguelike Release Party, so I'm hoping to have this finished within 24ish hours!  If I do, I'll call it version 0.1a :D
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6151 on: September 15, 2011, 02:13:36 pm »

Can we cook on fires? If not, I may just mod it in.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: September 15, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »

Can we cook on fires? If not, I may just mod it in.

A new item. Fire ring. Prevents the spread of fire that is set on top of it. Heavyish, and two different items, filled fire ring and empty fire ring. You make a filled one by combining two 2x4's with an empty. Provides a static light source as well, burns, mmm,  4 hours? Long enough to be useful but not long enough that you can sleep a full night safely with it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: September 15, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »

Personally I don't find having t recharge it interesting gameplay, batteries are not overly hard to find to it's just a chore.
Three days in Cataclysm is a long time. The watch has more chances to survive than you!  :P

My 2 cents on it, anyway.
Yeah, in fact this is an experimental mechanic that I added just to learn a little from the code, I know that it will not be included in the game. I only wanted to try an idea that came to my mind and see if it could fit in the game (since it's a survival game, time could be important). It was also an excuse to try to pack a megamod containing all the mods created by other users (sadly paul's mod was developed on windows and that created some problems).

EDIT: I didn't notice I was ninja'd so many times  :o
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:28:34 pm by Drevlin »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: September 15, 2011, 02:35:08 pm »

Maybe if there was a need to keep track of the time for something else? Maybe the Schizo drugs would be more effective if taken exactly every 4 hours or something. Actually, it could make the downsides a bit harsher if you required them to need an actual schedule of drugs to counter act.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: September 15, 2011, 02:40:33 pm »

Tomorrow is the Annual Roguelike Release Party, so I'm hoping to have this finished within 24ish hours!  If I do, I'll call it version 0.1a :D

Don't go overly nuts good sir, ARRP 2011 is Sept 18, Sunday, so you should have a bit more time than 24 hours no matter your timezone left!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: September 15, 2011, 03:07:36 pm »

Maybe if there was a need to keep track of the time for something else? Maybe the Schizo drugs would be more effective if taken exactly every 4 hours or something. Actually, it could make the downsides a bit harsher if you required them to need an actual schedule of drugs to counter act.

Speaking of Thorazine, I'm perplexed by its lack of side effects. Antipsychotic medication usually has those in spades.

Now that we have item stacking and partial drops, are any bugs with the inventory system getting fixed? I keep running into problems where the game isn't properly updating how many items are in my inventory... I'll pick something up, then drop it, then can't pick something up again, and items occasionally get assigned weird symbols, like ` or @. I'm surprised the game doesn't just assign the first available letter to an item that's picked up.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: September 15, 2011, 03:40:45 pm »

Speaking of Thorazine, I'm perplexed by its lack of side effects. Antipsychotic medication usually has those in spades.

Now that we have item stacking and partial drops, are any bugs with the inventory system getting fixed? I keep running into problems where the game isn't properly updating how many items are in my inventory... I'll pick something up, then drop it, then can't pick something up again, and items occasionally get assigned weird symbols, like ` or @. I'm surprised the game doesn't just assign the first available letter to an item that's picked up.
I get a problem with objects getting the same letter.

"Ok, now I'm going to put on these cargo pants and- NO I DON'T WANT TO TAKE OXY!"
"Ok, lets try this again. Now to put on my cargo pants and- God damn it, I don't need more oxyhurbladerp!"
"Now to throw away the painkiller so I can wear my pants and- DROP THE DRUGS NOT MY PANTS!"
Countless times.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: September 15, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »

1)Why does a watch only last three days? Watches aren't exactly high-power devices. They can survive for extremely long times using very tiny batteries.

2)Only knowing if it's day or night without a watch is... pretty silly. Realistically, you'd at least know if it's around dawn, morning, mid-day, afternoon, dusk, or night.

1)True, the reason behind this is that if the watch lasts long, like in real life, you don't have the problem to find batteries to recharge it and the gameplay become less interesting.

2)With the old mod the player knows if it's morning, noon, afternoon, dusk or night, but a big problem arises: if you have an unsynchronized watch that, for example, shows 5.00 PM and you know that is noon, you can deduce that your watch is 5 hours ahead and you don't have to reach a computer to synch it.
I was thinking to make this perception-related, e.g. if you have a perception of 15 you are able to know the phase of the day, otherwise you don't, but I don't know how to balance this. Do you have any idea?
(I was also thinking that sleeping could modify the player's perception of time.)

On another note, I just had another segfault while sleeping. and it is repeating everytime I reload the game. I'm wondering if this could something to do with healing? or maybe an item nearby is being processed, and causing segfaults?
On linux I didn't notice segfaults, but I noticed some warnings due to the stacking mod merge. This was the most difficult mod to merge because we don't have any diffs, and I haven't tested it properly. The watch mod should be safe because I tested it deeply, and the other mods should not create problems. I think I'll try to remove the stacking mod to see if it resolves the problem.

I think you're overdoing this. I liked the original simple concept. Maybe the watch could get broken when you get attacked and most likely be destroyed when shocker hits you so you have to find a new one from time to time, but whole gameplay mechanic around a wristwatchs...  ::)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: September 15, 2011, 03:53:39 pm »

"Ok, now I'm going to put on these cargo pants and- NO I DON'T WANT TO TAKE OXY!"
"Ok, lets try this again. Now to put on my cargo pants and- God damn it, I don't need more oxyhurbladerp!"
"Now to throw away the painkiller so I can wear my pants and- DROP THE DRUGS NOT MY PANTS!"
Countless times.

I'm confused. Why would the 'W'ear command cause you to ingest something? Unless you were using 'a'ctivate, in which case you could probably have solved it by using 'W'ear.

Or, drop one item (... if you can) and use the = key to assign the remaining one a new letter.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: September 15, 2011, 03:57:05 pm »

Countless times.

I'm confused. Why would the 'W'ear command cause you to ingest something? Unless you were using 'a'ctivate, in which case you could probably have solved it by using 'W'ear.

Or, drop one item (... if you can) and use the = key to assign the remaining one a new letter.
"It'd be pretty hard to wear a codein"

Everytime I get 2 objects with the same character, I need to dump both of them and then use them one at a time. Combat situations... not so good.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: September 15, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »

Then dump them, only pick up one, and reassign the letter for it, like I said. Then pick up the other one.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: September 15, 2011, 04:09:16 pm »

Countless times.

Are you wishing for items?  That can cause this to happen.  Otherwise, it shouldn't.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: September 15, 2011, 04:12:48 pm »

Countless times.

Are you wishing for items?  That can cause this to happen.  Otherwise, it shouldn't.
Wishfully and unwishfully it happens to me. It happens with medication and clothing the most, though.

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »

I didn't want to ask but is there a guide on how to easily port cataclysm to windows?
I want to be able to port it as soon as the new version is available, and if it requires something i can't do maybe it will help somebody else.
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 777