Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263242 times)

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6480 on: September 30, 2011, 05:49:58 am »

What you prefer to play? Single player? Or with SSH?

Whales, you think about the idea of includes apartments or hotels? Houses of more than 1 floor? I think could be a good idea =)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: September 30, 2011, 06:12:49 am »

Yeah, thats been discussed, but I think that there is a limitation in the engine at the moment. It would require a pretty big re write. But yeah, multi story buildings would be pretty sweet. Namely malls. Oh my god, I want malls. And pawn shops.

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: September 30, 2011, 06:19:53 am »

By the way, In windows there is any form to play in Fullscreen mode? And how can i make to play the last version in Windows? The Windows version i downloaded don't have the Construction update =(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:33:14 am by maki32 »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: September 30, 2011, 06:37:37 am »

Experimentation.  I've lived in tarantula country before, and spiders of all kinds and especially the big ones just go down with much less force than other arthropods.  You can kill a tarantula the size of a hand by tossing pebbles at it, one good bop and they curl up; you can stomp a cockroach flat and they might struggle away to safety.

I don't think that's a fair comparison, seeing as how cockroaches (and bugs with similar bodies) are notoriously resilient. What about bees or ants?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: September 30, 2011, 06:46:37 am »

By the way, In windows there is any form to play in Fullscreen mode? And how can i make to play the last version in Windows? The Windows version i downloaded don't have the Construction update =(
The Windows version with construction came out less than a few hours after Whales put it out.
https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm/downloads

Experimentation.  I've lived in tarantula country before, and spiders of all kinds and especially the big ones just go down with much less force than other arthropods.  You can kill a tarantula the size of a hand by tossing pebbles at it, one good bop and they curl up; you can stomp a cockroach flat and they might struggle away to safety.

I don't think that's a fair comparison, seeing as how cockroaches (and bugs with similar bodies) are notoriously resilient. What about bees or ants?
Things get a lot more complicated as things get bigger, an 1X1X1 ant mutated to 10 times it's normal size weighs 1,000 times heavier (provided all sides got increased proportionately so it'd be a cubish giant ant). It'd barely even be able to move if its legs could even support it's now massive exoskeleton. Which would only happen if it didn't suffocate, starve, or be crushed by its own weight.

Of course, in this game you could probably get away with handwaving everything.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:58:19 am by Blaze »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: September 30, 2011, 07:01:51 am »

Things get a lot more complicated as things get bigger, an 1X1X1 ant mutated to 10 times it's normal size weighs 1,000 times heavier. So it'd barely even be able to move if its legs could even support it's now massive exoskeleton.

First off, you're confusing volume and linear measurements. Most of the time I would take "ten times its size" to mean "ten times its volume" and therefore ten times its mass. You're talking about ten times its size linearly in each dimension. "Size" is kind of ambiguous, I guess. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, honestly. There are reasons why an ant couldn't be magnified in size and still function properly, and it has nothing to do with whatever it is you're saying.

One of the actual issues with a larger-sized arthropod (or any animal, really) is that surface area and volume don't quite scale the same way; this affects how plenty of things work, like muscles for sure, and probably the effectiveness of the exoskeleton and how well their organs and respiratory/vascular functions work. Another issue is that certain things just plain don't act the same at smaller and larger scales. For example, check out this picture. An ant is small enough that water's surface tension is capable of forming individual blobs/drops bigger than the creature itself. This alone has implications for how the organism's circulatory system works (a large creature with an open circulatory system probably won't last long!), and there are probably other examples of substances having properties that don't quite scale with larger volume.

This is very relevant. Basically, as something grows in volume, the volume and mass grow proportional to the cube of the multiplier, but surface area is proportional to the square of the multiplier; mass increases faster with volume than surface area does. This creates, say, more pressure (force per unit area) on the bones and other surfaces, and also means that muscular strength doesn't scale well, and that the larger organism wouldn't be able to move nearly as quickly, and would generally break easily.

Granted, this is all pretty academic, since the game isn't intended to be that realistic anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: September 30, 2011, 07:16:12 am »

Yeah... I oversimplified things, hence the term "Cubish ant".

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: September 30, 2011, 07:24:09 am »

Giant spiders (To a degree) are impossible. Enormous spiders (such as the size of a house) would collapse under its own weight. How big are we talking?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: September 30, 2011, 07:27:05 am »

I'm guessing the minimum would be the size of a large dog, like an adult Rottweiler or Akita. (~2ft height).

If we're talking monstrous varieties we'd be probably be looking at a horse or even bear-sized spiders. Or hell, even ones the size of small trucks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:29:12 am by Blaze »

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: September 30, 2011, 07:29:19 am »

Wow, horse-sized spiders... It's a crazy idea! Anyone knows how to play in fullscreen, or at least, make the window bigger?

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: September 30, 2011, 07:32:11 am »

I give you giant prehistoric dragon flys!

2.5 ft wingspan may not be house sized, but a wasp that size would have one hell of a sting.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: September 30, 2011, 07:39:09 am »

I think it would be best to just handwave everything; as much as I like realism, I like gameplay more.

Just say that XE037 is made of some form of unobtainium and decreases required oxygen/increase cell efficiency, decreases weight by consuming unnecessary tissue as the infection spreads and it takes over necessary life functions, as well as providing an extensive array of mutations which lets it do the stuff it does.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: September 30, 2011, 09:04:21 am »

The way the insect's breathing system is IRL, one could imagine that a simple mutation would be to close up the tracheal tubes into alveoli and use the parts that are shut off to form a simple circulatory system. That would handle most of the oxygen issues.

Considering arachnids use blood flow instead of musculature, they would have to get a hell of a lot more muscle, unfortunately.
Nothing important here, move along.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: September 30, 2011, 09:05:35 am »

The way the insect's breathing system is IRL, one could imagine that a simple mutation would be to close up the tracheal tubes into alveoli and use the parts that are shut off to form a simple circulatory system. That would handle most of the oxygen issues.

Considering arachnids use blood flow instead of musculature, they would have to get a hell of a lot more muscle, unfortunately.

Not if their blood has been replaced by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think it would be best to just handwave everything; as much as I like realism, I like gameplay more.

Just say that XE037 is made of some form of unobtainium and decreases required oxygen/increase cell efficiency, decreases weight by consuming unnecessary tissue as the infection spreads and it takes over necessary life functions, as well as providing an extensive array of mutations which lets it do the stuff it does.

Yes, this is pretty much it.  By having this stuff in the world I can blame all the unrealistic moments on it.  But honestly, it's a video game.  Even if there weren't any XE037 I still would include all these unrealistic monsters, because it is a video game.

The spiders here range from the size of a beagle (jumping spider) to the size of a large human, roughly (wolf spider).  They are relatively fragile; the wolf spider, the baddie of the bunch, has 40 HP (compare to a zombie's 50); little jumping spiders have 30, and the big, slow trap door spider has 70.  All spiders have a fairly decent amount of armor, so use a strong bashing weapon or armor-piercing bullets.  Preferably the latter, because they're also skilled and fast melee fighters.

Yeah, thats been discussed, but I think that there is a limitation in the engine at the moment. It would require a pretty big re write. But yeah, multi story buildings would be pretty sweet. Namely malls. Oh my god, I want malls. And pawn shops.

I'm going to try to include pawn shops with giant spiders!

There's a ton of poisonous enemies that can be added and various effects those poisons can cause. Slow, paralysis, convulsions, coughing, "bugs under skin", hallucinations, pain, and blindness just to name a few.

Why is it that when I craft flashlights and tasers they appear with batteries already in them? Seems both buggy and exploitive.

Bug: When I craft bandages, they don't stack with my other bandages.

Yeah, web spiders are getting a paralyzing venom, black widow spiders are getting a severe venom, and dermatiks--already in the gams--provide "bugs under skin," albeit rather literally.

I've been meaning to make crafted weapons appear with no charges.  Thanks for reminding me about that.

Bandage non-stackery has been fixed, thank you.

Wow, horse-sized spiders... It's a crazy idea! Anyone knows how to play in fullscreen, or at least, make the window bigger?

Unfortunately you can not, under Windows at least.  I believe there is some kind of zoom-in feature in some versions of Windows, but I don't know.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:08:59 am by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11:42 am »

Hmm, it could be a 64 bit issue.  Is it possible to run and/or compile under some kind of 32-bit mode, just to see if that fixes the problem?  I admit to know nothing about the potential hazards of compiling/running for a 64-bit processor, but that's the only unique variable I see here.

Seems there was two issues. The first being that you don't appear to default any values so the numbers get assigned whatever was in that memory block.
In my case turns started somewhere around turn 3579139422 which as it's unsigned was okay.

However the second bug was that although storen() writes the turn number as an unsigned value, loadn() reads old_turn as a signed one.
This both made old_turn 0x7fffffff and marked the stream as failed.

Cheap fix is to change the reading value to unsigned too:
Spoiler: patch (click to show/hide)

Although I'd recommend defaulting values as only debug builds will clear memory otherwise.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 777