Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263099 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6465 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:32 pm »

Is there any use for the barter/speech skills?
Asking now, or in the NPC'd future?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: September 29, 2011, 10:26:54 pm »

Is there any use for the barter/speech skills?
Asking now, or in the NPC'd future?

Now, but I think I already know the answer. Anyway, What are the next major features to be implemented?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: September 29, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »

Probably NPCs, but it'll be a bunch of minor features and merging popular mods for a while.

Coming soon: SPIDERS, HUNDREDS OF THEM

Jumping spiders, trap door spiders, hunter spiders, black widows, wolf spiders, a whole spider family.  SPIDERS

Also SPIDER CHORDS
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: September 29, 2011, 10:45:39 pm »

wolf spiders
THat sounds like a terrible idea.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:49:12 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: September 29, 2011, 10:48:44 pm »

Are these going to be normal spiders, or giant spiders?

Damn you arachnophobia, ASCII spiders can't be that bad!
Nothing important here, move along.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: September 29, 2011, 10:49:13 pm »

I thought they were a species of spider, not actually a combination of wolf and spider.

Or that's the joke and I just killed it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: September 29, 2011, 10:59:41 pm »

Are these going to be normal spiders, or giant spiders?

Damn you arachnophobia, ASCII spiders can't be that bad!

Giant, of course, normal spiders wouldn't be too scary except MAYBE black widows, and even then they're a non-issue.

I thought they were a species of spider, not actually a combination of wolf and spider.

Or that's the joke and I just killed it.

They're a species of spider common here in New England.  They generally hunt by pouncing on or ambushing their prey, rather than using a web.  They'll be the "roaming" spider encountered more or less at random; black widows will appear occasionally in buildings, and the rest will have special dens in the forest.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: September 29, 2011, 11:11:55 pm »

I would say don't forget the brown recluse, but then I'd have another spider to fear the hell out of. I think the black widows would be bad enough.
Nothing important here, move along.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: September 29, 2011, 11:19:09 pm »

I would say don't forget the brown recluse, but then I'd have another spider to fear the hell out of. I think the black widows would be bad enough.

It's a bit of a stretch, you don't see them much up here.  And yeah, they'd be a one-hit kill (albeit over time), pretty much.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: September 30, 2011, 12:54:05 am »

There's a ton of poisonous enemies that can be added and various effects those poisons can cause. Slow, paralysis, convulsions, coughing, "bugs under skin", hallucinations, pain, and blindness just to name a few.

Why is it that when I craft flashlights and tasers they appear with batteries already in them? Seems both buggy and exploitive.

Bug: When I craft bandages, they don't stack with my other bandages.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: September 30, 2011, 12:58:28 am »

It's a bit of a stretch, you don't see them much up here.  And yeah, they'd be a one-hit kill (albeit over time), pretty much.

Since they're giant animals, you might as well assume that the scientists messed around with them, so regional variation shouldn't matter as much. It's plausible enough that they were imported into the area and escaped as giant versions.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: September 30, 2011, 03:58:15 am »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: September 30, 2011, 04:02:39 am »

I can only hope that you pay service to the reality of spiders, that they're incredibly flimsy for their size compared to many other arthropods.  While insects like giant ants and wasps deserve to be durable, spiders are actually really easy to kill.

They're just likely to mess you up first, if they're that huge.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: September 30, 2011, 04:07:14 am »

I can only hope that you pay service to the reality of spiders, that they're incredibly flimsy for their size compared to many other arthropods.  While insects like giant ants and wasps deserve to be durable, spiders are actually really easy to kill.

They're just likely to mess you up first, if they're that huge.

Treating this stuff realistically is just asking for trouble, though. There's a reason bugs aren't actually gigantic. An actual "giant wasp" wouldn't be able to fly, or probably even hold itself up, or breathe or eat properly. Physics has different implications when you're working with tiny things, so exoskeletons and open circulatory systems and things of that nature kind of fall apart (probably quite literally) once you get too big.

Of course, you're comparing them to other arthropods of their size, so... yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm kind of curious why they'd be flimsy, though. Any particular reason?

Durability aside, wasps deserve to be absolutely assholes. They are in real life!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: September 30, 2011, 05:47:22 am »

Of course, you're comparing them to other arthropods of their size, so... yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm kind of curious why they'd be flimsy, though. Any particular reason?

Experimentation.  I've lived in tarantula country before, and spiders of all kinds and especially the big ones just go down with much less force than other arthropods.  You can kill a tarantula the size of a hand by tossing pebbles at it, one good bop and they curl up; you can stomp a cockroach flat and they might struggle away to safety.  In Cataclysm, giant ants are the size of dogs and about as durable as zombies - I would expect a generic spider to be about the size of a bear and go down to a couple gunshots.

If anything I'd expect them to be less belligerent than the wasps and ants in the game as well; spiders are ambush predators and marginally intelligent, and like the wolves and bears already in the game, retreat if wounded.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 05:49:08 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 777