Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263354 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8430 on: December 09, 2011, 05:33:16 pm »

I would really rather the windows port be open source instead of having to install linux on this machine purely for the purposes of running cataclysm.
The windows source is open source, it just needs to be compiled, which is a tad more annoying on Windows then on Linux.

Not the latest windows version to my knowledge:

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=554.45

Download gives you the .exe but none of the source files.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: December 09, 2011, 05:37:12 pm »

That's Teseng's modified version.  That's not really "the code" it's "Teseng's project using the code".  Can't say what he or anyone else does, but Whales puts it all on the table.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: December 09, 2011, 05:40:54 pm »

That's Teseng's modified version.  That's not really "the code" it's "Teseng's project using the code".  Can't say what he or anyone else does, but Whales puts it all on the table.

Whales code is for linux though. The Windows users who aren't complete geniuses and aren't able to do a linux to windows rewrite have relied on a person to port the source files to be windows compatible to my knowledge. First Heads did this, then aposeses (sp?) and now to my knowledge Teseng... Although Teseng is the first not to release the source files.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #8433 on: December 09, 2011, 05:46:58 pm »

Teseng is making his source available when he works the kinks out, and it will most likely be implemented into the trunk when it's done.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: December 09, 2011, 05:59:26 pm »

Teseng is making his source available when he works the kinks out, and it will most likely be implemented into the trunk when it's done.

I wish he'd make it available now... If we had to wait for everything to be bug free before release nothing would ever get released... ???

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: December 09, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »

Anyone else find that with the latest version (the one with the test NPC and evac shelter), that when you create a new character and start a game you get an error message saying that an Evac shelter could not be found. It then just dumps me in the middle of a forest. I used the debug menu to reveal the map and teleport to the nearest civilization. Also, I did find an evac shelter, but it was completely walled off with no entryway.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: December 09, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »

Have not seen that...  Try cleaning your save and trying again?

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: December 09, 2011, 10:16:51 pm »

Another thing I've run into. Using the bow, if I have multiple arrows to select from when firing, the targeting screen is blacked out. The target itself shows up when I use the keys to move it around.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: December 10, 2011, 05:29:56 pm »

It's a little update!

Clean build required, saves MIGHT be valid!

Please note:  There is a known bug here.  After claiming your reward from an NPC, the line drawing characters in the chat window get messed up.  Please do not report this bug.

Features:
  • New dialogue options:
    • Ask for advice on a mission
    • Request a reward for a completed mission
    • Ask (or demand) that the NPC share their equipment; first appearance of skill checks in dialogue.  Perception and Intelligence are important, as well as the Speech skill.
    • Size up the NPC; attempt to determine their stats.  Success and accuracy are dependant on Perception (mostly) and Intelligence.
    • Look at the NPC; see what they're wielding and wearing.

Tweaks:
  • Notable sound/spawn tweaks:
    • Since the effect of loud sounds on the spawn rate is meant to be a consequence of the sound being heard outside the active map area, and the active map area is much larger now, sounds are much less likely to affect the spawn rate.  At present, they must be of 60 volume or higher (three times more than before).
    • To counteract the decrease in difficulty that this represents, spawns may be much larger now.
    • Additionally, sounds are more audible to already-genned monsters.
    • The net effect: you should still try to be quiet and use loud guns sparingly, but there's no hard cutoff between "quiet enough to be safe" and "noisy enough to be unsafe."
  • EMP blasts have a chance to make robots friendly for a short time (if they survive it, that is).
  • EMP blasts drain more of the player's energy.
  • A bottle of gasoline contains 200 charges.
  • A chainsaw holds 400 charges.  Pack some bottles of gas if you're going to travel with one.
  • Flamethrowers hold hundreds of charges, but use 100 charges per shot.
  • NPC pathfinding much more efficient in most cases.
  • The "critical fail" that makes you miss a monster, even if it doesn't have a dodge ability (e.g. zombies), is now affected by your weapon's to-hit bonus.  It's also slightly harder to fail (with a 0-bonus weapon).
  • Player's dodge roll is capped by low skill.  A character with Dexterity 14 and dodge skill 0 won't out-perform a character with Dexterity 6 and dodge skill 3.
  • Further tweaking of map extras; they're rarer now, especially the dreaded early-game wolves.

Bug Fixes:
  • Finishing a "give item to NPC" mission actually ends with you giving up the item.
  • After selecting from an ammo list for a bow, the screen refreshes properly.
  • Map rotation bugs fixed.  These were causing spawn points to not work properly, and computers to be totally non-functional in banks and police stations, among other places.
  • NPC combat bug, "Tried to use none but it has no use?" fixed.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: December 10, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »

Glad to see the game is still going strong, I will have to take a look later tonight.

If any info in the front post is incorrect, please PM me. I can't keep up with this thread all the time to make sure I have the latest Windows port and everything, but I check my PMs all the time, so if you send anything there I will get it. I don't want anything to be incorrect in the first post, after all ;)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: December 11, 2011, 09:24:00 am »

Well, the windows version has now changed to http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=554.0
*Hugs*

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: December 11, 2011, 10:54:00 am »

Yup, though the next version will be platform-independent, since Whales merged Teseng's Win code.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: December 11, 2011, 11:10:12 am »

Well, the windows version has now changed to http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=554.0
Updated first post.
Yup, though the next version will be platform-independent, since Whales merged Teseng's Win code.
Oh, neat :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Argwm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: December 11, 2011, 12:04:34 pm »

I noticed that * on the number pad works for construction, Could we have / on the numberpad work for crafting too?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: December 11, 2011, 05:27:30 pm »

I don't think that / is used for anything currently, and it should be easy enough to mod in.  I've wondered about that as well, since I'm always using * on the numpad anyways.  I'll take a peek a bit later and see if I can't figure a .diff for Linux (which I'm sure Whales would merge).
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 777