Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263566 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8445 on: December 11, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »

Can arrows be crafted? I've got a 4 mechanics skill and can make crossbow bolts, but no arrows.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: December 11, 2011, 08:07:40 pm »

Archery and Survival skill, I believe 1 wood = 15 arrows.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: December 11, 2011, 08:41:09 pm »

Archery and Survival skill, I believe 1 wood = 15 arrows.

Argh. I knew that once, but it totally slipped my mind. Thanks.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: December 11, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »

Is there a way to roam a town, gathering supplies without being charged by 20 zombies five minutes into the game?  Is it because I bring the dog with me?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: December 11, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »

Is there a way to roam a town, gathering supplies without being charged by 20 zombies five minutes into the game?  Is it because I bring the dog with me?

That's totally normal gameplay, you just need to do a lot of running away for a while. The dog doesn't attract more zombies, in fact, he makes a good way to escape the first pack you find. :P
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8450 on: December 11, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

And afterwards, too.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: December 11, 2011, 11:03:01 pm »

Best advice to start: Find a weapon and a window.  A hammer is very good, it provides good damage and once you get some skill it can stun opponents.  You can fight a hulk without a the hulk ever making a move.  Combat knife is great as well, good damage and high critical rating means a lot of killing power for short fights.  But long fights you usually want a bash for the stun.  Hardware stores and sporting good stores are both excellent sources of weapons.

And tequila.  Trust me, tequila.  70 morale boost and the slight str boost from booze, you won't have to worry about exp to burn.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8452 on: December 11, 2011, 11:09:37 pm »

I go after marijuana, personally. the addiction is just too much for me.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: December 11, 2011, 11:20:13 pm »

I usually never go so far as to get addicted, and you can usually find some cocaine or weed or better yet an mp3 to raise morale.  A bottle of tequila might last me an entire game (depending on Whales' update schedule).

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: December 12, 2011, 12:09:51 am »

Its probably not really a bug, but i managed to con the NPC at the start into giving me some antibiotics.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: December 12, 2011, 12:12:31 am »

By the time I get addicted, usually I already have a pretty defensible spot for weening myself off the stuff for a few days. Has anyone thought about the need to defecate in this game? It would add another dimension to hiding from the zombies in your safe house if you have no means of neutralizing the smell after a few days hiding in there.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: December 12, 2011, 12:23:05 am »

As someone on the Cataclysm forums said (it may have been Whales who said it) "The only way this game could get more complicated is if you had a breath button."  Which is to say "Isn't it enough already?  You want more punishment?"  And as Toady has said "That just seems like another distraction that doesn't add much but leaves your dwarves not working for a little bit longer."

While scent management might be more interesting, I don't feel that it adds enough value to justify that big of an annoyance.  After all, how often do you use the bathroom daily?  Do you want to have that many interruptions in your game?  Do you want to have to write a tutorial and include "now press the shit button" and watch the new players quit right then?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: December 12, 2011, 01:01:08 am »

As someone on the Cataclysm forums said (it may have been Whales who said it) "The only way this game could get more complicated is if you had a breath button."  Which is to say "Isn't it enough already?  You want more punishment?"  And as Toady has said "That just seems like another distraction that doesn't add much but leaves your dwarves not working for a little bit longer."

While scent management might be more interesting, I don't feel that it adds enough value to justify that big of an annoyance.  After all, how often do you use the bathroom daily?  Do you want to have that many interruptions in your game?

The concept itself does not automatically invite the worst possible method of implementation. There is a way to do it well, just like everything else in the game already.

Do you want to have to write a tutorial and include "now press the shit button" and watch the new players quit right then?

Actually, I think that would probably be touted as one of the attractions of the game :P. How many games can you attribute the presence of untreated fecal matter leading to the player's downfall?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:58:53 am by Flare »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: December 12, 2011, 01:11:23 am »

Bleach washing to destroy scent trails. Walk into your safehouse and splash bleach over the path behind you, one bottle covers a 3x3 area in that direction.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: December 12, 2011, 01:18:42 am »

Bleach is some strong stuff.  I feel I have to say this because many are aware of bleach but haven't had to use it.  Mopping floors in fast food, I can tell you that bleach would likely attract creatures because of the strange and powerful smell.  But it would cover just about any scent that used to be there.  Maybe drop some and keep running, or maybe assume that zombies are repulsed by bad smells?  Although them being undead lends a bit of stench of their own.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 777