Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260356 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9165 on: April 08, 2012, 05:41:14 am »

Hehe, I'm so bad at this game, but it's a lot of fun. :)

My latest character was running around in the wilderness, collecting food and supplies. She had that trait (I forget its name) that makes animals friendly; so, of course, all the squirrels and rabbits in the neibourhood were bloodthirsty and hostile and would not stop attacking me wherever I went.

So all this commotion inevitably attracted all the zombies in the area, so I ran back to my base and tried to defend the doorway from all these zombies and squirrels. The whole time, I'm swinging wildly and not hitting a thing, and I'm thinking "What the hell, why can't I hit anything?!"

Well I couldn't hold the door for long, and soon I was surrounded. I knew I was about to die. Still miffed at my incredible miss rate, I checked my equipment.

'Weilding: Strawberry'

...God damn it. LOL. I died trying to defend myself with a delicious berry.

Heh, I just imagined someone trying to fight against squirrels and zombies by swinging a strawberry around.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9166 on: April 08, 2012, 08:09:24 am »

I just imagined billions of dead zombies, surrounding a man with one strawberry in his hand.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9167 on: April 08, 2012, 11:56:21 am »

They must have taken the course! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afi7_01GnxY

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9168 on: April 08, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »

How did I ever survive before finding my science id and military id cards... dynamite and CBM's are so awwweeessoommmeee! :P
Nom nom nom

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9169 on: April 08, 2012, 07:12:46 pm »

Does anyone have any tips or strategies for surviving visits to town? Basically every time I attempt to go looting residential streets, I'll end up chased by zombies I can't outrun, eventually get surrounded, and inevitably die. Even when I pick the quickness and quietness perks, it seems they can always track me and surround me.

If I don't go to town, I never find any tools, so I can't even begin to craft spears or anything.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9170 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:11 pm »

Does anyone have any tips or strategies for surviving visits to town? Basically every time I attempt to go looting residential streets, I'll end up chased by zombies I can't outrun, eventually get surrounded, and inevitably die. Even when I pick the quickness and quietness perks, it seems they can always track me and surround me.

If I don't go to town, I never find any tools, so I can't even begin to craft spears or anything.

Windows are your friend. Make the zombies come through a window and stab them one at a time. When they get through or start swinging at you, run. Generally I try and fight at the back of a houe first. That way when they get through the first set of windows you can run out the front door, shut it, and then move over to the front window so they path through that as well.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9171 on: April 08, 2012, 08:49:47 pm »

I'm trying this game out, and so far my thoughts are: "If Left-4-Dead was a Roguelike". I mean that in the best way.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9172 on: April 08, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »

I'm trying this game out, and so far my thoughts are: "If Left-4-Dead was a Roguelike". I mean that in the best way.

When I started development, it was called L4DRL, and meant to be a roguelike conversion in the spirit of DoomRL.  Then I wrote a map generator, and realized that a full-fledged sandbox with open exploration would be more interesting ;)

Stay tuned for a Left 4 Dead-esque Sprint Mode challenge coming at some point!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9173 on: April 09, 2012, 03:26:19 am »

When I started development, it was called L4DRL, and meant to be a roguelike conversion in the spirit of DoomRL.  Then I wrote a map generator, and realized that a full-fledged sandbox with open exploration would be more interesting ;)

Stay tuned for a Left 4 Dead-esque Sprint Mode challenge coming at some point!

Will we also get some mad black guy to run around and annoy us about pills? I mean, GMod machinima style? :D
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9174 on: April 09, 2012, 08:19:11 am »

Nah, he would likely realisticly overdose on pills before you could get to him :P

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9175 on: April 09, 2012, 09:21:15 am »

Nah, he would likely realisticly overdose on pills before you could get to him :P

Your right.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9176 on: April 09, 2012, 10:16:02 am »

Yeah I've run into bug. If you try and fire your gun if its out of ammo, the game crashes, for me anyway.

Edit: It only seemed to happen once, so Its all cool.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:34:31 am by Johnfalcon99977 »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9177 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:27 am »

That happens if you spawn in a gun via the debug console :P
Possibly with NPC weaponry too.
*Hugs*

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9178 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:33 am »

Hey how exactly do you guys manage to keep the starting npc alive?  I find she/he usually lives about a day or two before he/she starves to death or stupidly walks outside into a zombie horde.  I don't want to have him come with me and have to babysit him all the time, but I don't want him starving to death either.... any way you can give them items without convincing them to follow you?  Also do you ever find any other npcs without using the two-way radio?
Nom nom nom

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9179 on: April 09, 2012, 11:13:57 am »

Should I download the cataclysm.zip linked at whalesdev.com or the cataclysm2.zip linked in the "Windows Version" thread linked in the first post?
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 777