Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263489 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9210 on: April 23, 2012, 04:16:05 am »

This build is highly recommended, vehicules man, vehicules, smiting, mining, wtf?! hurray!

Edit: Derp forgot the link...
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=727.0
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: April 23, 2012, 10:03:11 am »

Edit: Creating a new character had the exact same results, no clue as to why though. Your theory seems plausible , so ima get a new copy.
Doesn't this happen when you get a new version but don't delete the save folder?  I pretty much always delete the save folder before starting a new character anyway.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: April 23, 2012, 04:36:59 pm »

Update, 4/23.

Clean build required.  Saves obsolete.

Windows executable: http://whalesdev.com/cataclysm.zip
Linux executable: http://whalesdev.com/cataclysm.tar.bz2

Note: Those who have been following the plans for Defense Mode (and anyone who experiments with it) will notice that "Mercenaries" has no effect.  This feature has been deferred.

Features:
  • Defense Mode.  This is a "coffeebreak" game that uses the Cataclysm engine, designed to be played and finished within 5-30 minutes.  It features the player defending a single location against waves of increasingly difficult monsters, supplied periodically by a "caravan."
  • Game Mode Support.  The code is set up to make the development of new game modes rapid and easy.
  • Customizable Keybindings.  You can edit data/keymap.txt, a file which contains all the actions in the game.  This allows you to reorganize the controls freely.
  • New overmap tiles: Mansion.
  • New items: Medieval weapons and armor.  Pool balls and cues.  Candlesticks.
  • A "lightly flammable" flag which applies to some terrain types, such as floor.  This terrain will burn, but much more slowly than fully-flammable terrain.

Tweaks:
  • Many tweaks to item values.  Several values/prices have been modified (ammo is half-price, but guns are twice the price); most drugs now have much fewer charges per bottle.
  • Player-built walls are much more useful.  Rather than simply getting destroyed the first time a zombie gets slightly lucky, they get chipped (no change), then battered (enough holes to see/shoot through), then destroyed.  Each of these steps is more difficult than the original smashing was.
  • Lots of typo fixes.
  • Several small tweaks to artifact generation.
  • Sounds that interrupt an action (such as long-waiting) will tell you what you heard at the "Stop ___ing?" prompt.
  • Monsters may be afraid of or angered by loud noises.
  • More liquor in bars.  Bars may have pool cues/balls.
  • A robot that targets you ("beep-beep-beep!") will stay targeted more than twice as long.
  • Rat Kings are much more effective.
  • Improved detection of the cause of a hallucination's "death."
  • Monsters that become scared/angry if the player gets close now do so at a range of 5 tiles, not 3.
  • Monsters who are angered/scared if they are hurt respond much more readily to damage.
  • Several tweaks to monsters: Rat King has more HP.  Ant larvae are scared of the player.  Krecks are nerfed, and use hit-and-run tactics.
  • In character creation, "<badtrait> costs -3 points" is changed to "<badtrait> earns 3 points."
  • Many tweaks to overmap special-location settings: Fewer supply bunkers, much fewer radio towers (which should allow for more hospitals, megastores and mansions), fewer of most specials, actually.
  • The player is asked if they would like to stop their current action if they are hurt under any circumstances.  No more dying in a fire while cooking something.
  • The amount of radiation you can absorb is limited by the radiation level of your surroundings.
  • Players mutate from irradiation more rapidly.  A radiation level of 2000+ causes instant mutation.
  • Trap tweaks: Spiked boards are trivial to "disarm" and dissectors cannot be disarmed at all.

Bugfixes:
  • Some fixes to the Windows display module.  Hopefully this will help prevent some crashes.
  • Monsters that aren't attacking you will not set off Safe Mode.
  • Monsters that have been immobilized are still affected by fields (e.g. fire, smoke etc)
  • Calculating stabbing damage correctly refers to stabbing skill (not cutting).
  • The Anger and Morale of monsters is correctly saved.
  • The "Player is Weak" anger/morale trigger works correctly (instead of working overwhelmingly in reverse).
  • The player's healhiness stat is correctly saved.
  • Required tools for consumption (e.g. a lighter to smoke a cigarette) are properly checked and used.
  • Low-capacity firearms cannot have their capacity modded under any circumstances.
  • Re-targeting after killing your first target while firing a burst works correctly.

Internal:
  • game::cancel_activity_query() allows for printf-like formatting.
  • New display function, popup_nowait(), which is like popup() but doesn't wait for the player to hit spacebar.  This is useful for loading bars and the like.
  • code_doc/TODO updated.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: April 23, 2012, 04:45:34 pm »

woohoo update!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: April 24, 2012, 03:30:55 am »

Yeeehaaa.

Well deserved donation flying your way m8.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: April 24, 2012, 03:38:03 am »

Excellent update! Thank you!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:59 am »

Defence mode, I get some inactive turrets, put them down during the first wave and they turn to shot me in the face... gg

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:29 pm »

Defense mode sounds fun >:D

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: April 24, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »

Is it possible to burn a place? I just killed the character that shows when you first embark, and I grabbed her lighter, I want to burn this place.
How?

EDIT: Nevermind, learned how to, I burned the body and is currently watching it.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: April 24, 2012, 03:39:53 pm »

Can I just ask how you guys survive after one zombie spots you, I seem to get hoarded by tonnes straight after. The bastards seem to have gps navigation aswell so I just can't lose them.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19:47 pm »

Can I just ask how you guys survive after one zombie spots you, I seem to get hoarded by tonnes straight after. The bastards seem to have gps navigation aswell so I just can't lose them.
fleet footed and parkour help. quick does, too. just outrun them. find military surpluses too, they have all sorts of useful stuff which can help you on your way to killing zombies, rather than legging it.
Basically you are running away and throwing explosives behind you, they are stupid and will run into the raging fire.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: April 24, 2012, 04:39:49 pm »

I just hop in my truck and mow them down
*Hugs*

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:11 pm »

Bah, I don't find vehicles in the mods as much as everyone else does.

Best find: A car. At the start.  :D

Hooray for update!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: April 26, 2012, 03:26:59 am »

I had a  crash, i killed  a shoot and killed a wolf standing on a rock.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: April 26, 2012, 04:49:52 am »

in defense mode, at the start screen what is the function of "NEEDS" ( food, water, sleep, mercenaries....)
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 777