Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263610 times)

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10635 on: July 18, 2012, 02:59:01 pm »

Just a single question.

Is there a tileset for this game? I can't play anything that's in ASCII, sadly.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: July 18, 2012, 03:04:20 pm »

Yes.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: July 18, 2012, 03:14:10 pm »

Oh! Good to know, thank you. I appreciate the help.

I'll get the search started immediately!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: July 18, 2012, 03:32:54 pm »

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: July 18, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=aqjml4vls69tc4ciad1u40ia22&topic=1170.0

You may look at this little thread.

Mm, I found it, and Deon's tileset.

Thanks for the help, however!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: July 18, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »

Storytime!

My character started off with the standard risky and dangerous stories, like being stuck in the middle of a mall and not noticing that it was nearing sundown, or stumbling into a rat infested cave. Only these few initial incidents forced me to cheat my way out of them, due to their closeness to the start of the characters' life (i try to stop cheating by day 7) and status as being completely stupid. So i managed to get lucky and find some crash sites with CBMs my android could use, including utilities. (started with solar power and blood analyzer) Near the end of the first 7 days, i got a welder and some vehicles, and went to creating a new vehicle in front of a gas station, in the street, because the quad i was using managed to stick a gas pump BETWEEN its front and rear tires. :o Broke down that quad, walked to get a replacement motorcycle and another quad (put the quad inside the bike) drove back and built a custom four large wheel 3x5 tile 2.5L four gas tank and totally armored (except large wheels) dune buggy i guess?

I see a lab on the map that's across a bridge and nearby, so i think "Why not go there and increase my CBM battery limit?" Mistake #1.
The bridge was crawling with triffids and fungaloids due to a nearby heart/spire, and i didn't find a gasmask yet. Going at 30 over the bridge i barely managed to avoid impact with MULTIPLE small grove-like areas that were created by triffid queens on the bridge itself. Fungaloids never breathed on me, but when i entered the lab after a successful electrohack use (i had no lab IDs, but 1 electronics skill from all the previously installed CBMs and 2 Computers from How To Browse the Web) i immediately ate the first royal jelly i saw anyways. After clearing out the second lab level i was running low on food (34+ water!) so i was forced to leave soon. Opposite the lab was a mineshaft which i quickly explored and found it was a spiral cavern, and that the lab finale being an extradimensional monster pen including a flaming eye that opened a path into that area from the mineshaft's second to last level. So a few extra CBM batteries, mineshaft metal frames, and extradimensional creature kills later, i leave the area for good with my vehicle having a few more storage attachments and attached machete blades in front of the forward wheels.

Not wanting to go back over that hell-bridge i came over on (even though i have a gas mask now from the mineshaft) i decide to go south which has a house next to the road. Mistake #2.
The house was in a swamp, and i sleeped on the bed on the ground flood level because there was no basement. I awoke to the sound of the glass being shattered by a giant frog, accompanied by some giant insects and a giant slug. Needless to say i got the hell out, jumped on my ride, and hit 0-60 in 3 seconds. Several bugs splattering their guts on my windowless boardless vehicle later, my running shoes dissolved from acid spit. But it gets worse. Before i even reach the bridge, before i even leave sight of the house, i run into a minefield which i just barely manage to stop in front of and go around just fine due to a lack of nearby trees. Once i'm over the bridge, it happens AGAIN with another minefield; but this time going significantly faster then i was before. So i pull the hand break... And for the first time ever in cataclysm, the vehicle skids out. I move left to regain control and i do. I stop totally, and find that the minefield surrounded by forest on both sides. And blood sucking insect friends closing in fast. And because of the pain from acid while i was skidding out, my 10 perception has been reduced to 8, concealing the mines again. I step on one on my second step away from my vehicle. ::)

So i'm thinking, this is it, my character is dead. But he isn't. I end up using all of my first aid on the scene and eat 3 codeine, kill 10 bugs with one of my two USP 9mm's (+silencer +expanded) and some frogs with my SKS (+extended barrel +silencer) before finally getting back in the seat and SOMEHOW get the hell out of that deathtrap without getting blown up. Probably because the forest wasn't so horribly dense on the side of the road as i feared it would be, despite having to hit a small tree and underbrush anyways. So i hit 50 again going south to outrun these damn bugs and i just keep running into them, in fact, i 6 of them were literally lined up in a row. One of my machete blades can't take it and flies off. "Nope i ain't stoppin' fuck that." because my health is still light red and yellow. I don't stop until i hit a parking lot with a motorcycle in it and the bugs finally give up the chase 5 map tiles away from the last swamp tile. I ditch the vehicle in the lot and shamble over to the nearest house with a down basement sign on it, which turns out to be a grow op special basement. I wait an hour with safe mode on for any followers, then chew through some 7-9 of my 45-stack of bandages healing myself, and another codeine to fully heal myself before taking two sleeping pills and sleeping the rest of the night away.
I was literally :-X holding my breath the entire time during and after the second minefield.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: July 18, 2012, 04:53:34 pm »

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=aqjml4vls69tc4ciad1u40ia22&topic=1170.0

You may look at this little thread.

Mm, I found it, and Deon's tileset.

Thanks for the help, however!

Tilesets are updated FAR less frequently than the base game.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: July 18, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »

Which makes me sad. This game seems to hate tiles so I have learned to play without them most of the time.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: July 18, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »

It works fine without and I've been coding a few vehicles and modding them in. I don't know what they'd look like in tilesets and that is okay with me. I still play DF with tilesets, though.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: July 18, 2012, 06:22:22 pm »

Decided to try this game again. My last ten minutes-

1.Die to zombie swarm
2.Die to giant bees
3.Die to zombie
4.Die to sinkhole spiders
5.Die to humans
6.Die of accidental suicide

Fun game, must learn how to play it.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: July 18, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »

So i just found my first vehicle, a truck. Immediately crashed that after not turning well. Just found a motorcycle and figured i might as well hold up somewhere.

My question is, are grocery stores even in the game anymore? And what is the best place to get food/water?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: July 18, 2012, 06:34:21 pm »

best place to get food and water is in homes and stores. Look for the kitchen in homes and display cases/shelves in stores. Avoid mega marts until you are walking death.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: July 18, 2012, 06:45:50 pm »

Gas stations are my favorite holdup, they have a 100% chance to spawn a room with 1 door, no windows, and a toilet.  Infinite easily defended water!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: July 18, 2012, 06:50:54 pm »

Oy! Unless I somehow misplaced them, my 2 combustion engines appear to have vanished >_<

Hmm... Do items in caves despawn?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:59:29 pm by alway »

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: July 18, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »

Thanks, and i was wondering, just like how many wheels can you slap on a vehicle? Can you make your own vehicle?
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 777