Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263204 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10650 on: July 18, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »

Gas stations are my favorite holdup, they have a 100% chance to spawn a room with 1 door, no windows, and a toilet.  Infinite easily defended water puke!

Thanks, and i was wondering, just like how many wheels can you slap on a vehicle? Can you make your own vehicle?

Absolutely.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: July 18, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »

Vehicles can be fully customized or built from scratch.  But wheels past a certain point only offer redundancy.  You need a minimum wheel score (small or large wheels) compared to your mass, and the wheels must provide coverage to the center of mass, so a motorcycle side-car would probably count as "fallen over" while a motorcycle with two side-cars would be balanced.  Either way, after a certain point you stop gaining speed advantages from wheels and start putting on weight, so there's an idea wheel setup for your vehicle based on its weight, too little wheel and you lose speed, too much and you have wasted weight.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: July 18, 2012, 07:39:52 pm »

Wowww thats awesome. Thanks for the help. Since discovering that vehicles were integrated into the main game, I just focus on finding vehicles since they are so fun to drive. Noisy though.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: July 18, 2012, 07:50:01 pm »

Wait wait wait...

You can make your own cars?  So does that mean I could put some extra armor or extra engines or some more trunks on my car I got from a parking lot?  Hell yes!  Where's my welder?  Lets see if I can add steel spears to the front, or widen a part of it into some kind of messed up zombie evicerator.  This car has a safe speed of 70 Mph, and I pretty consistently hit something every time I go more than 40, so I should be able to add weight easy.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:52:07 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »

I was hoping to figure out spawning of vehicles quickly, but ah well. Very little in life is easy.

Here's my personal vehicle mod which includes doors without windows and 3 vehicles (Semi, trailer, Bug): Click.

I tested each one to make sure everything was playable. You can spawn them in with the debug command. For balance only do this if you find an existing vehicle in a parking lot and never use that original vehicle. Replace trucks with semi's or trailers and cars or quad bikes with Bugs. The Bug feels like a clown car and the semi has a huge blind spot, all as intended.

If you want to alter vehicles find a wrench, hack saw, and welder. Batteries are also good to have to recharge the welder.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: July 18, 2012, 08:19:05 pm »

I keep a wrench and welder in my car's trunk (as well as 3 batteries) at all times... primarily because I seem to be a terrible driver.   And seem to have developed a Ford mentality.  Fix on road daily.

And I think I have a few hacksaws in my piles of misc tools.  But how much skill is needed though?  And is there a list anywhere of what parts you can add to a car?  I'm guessing covering the thing with spears and combat knives is impossible, but are there any actual things I can throw on a car to make it more combat capable?  Right now I'm a little too paranoid to bring my car against a hulk spitter or bear, because I'm guessing they are a little too meaty (or acidy) to not wreck my car.

Oh nevermind...actually trying to install something gived me a list  derp. :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:22:26 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: July 18, 2012, 08:30:24 pm »

I keep a wrench and welder in my car's trunk (as well as 3 batteries)
welders can be recharged to 1000 just like universal power supplies.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: July 18, 2012, 08:58:24 pm »

I'm sure this has been answered before but how exactly do i refill my car with gas?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: July 18, 2012, 09:13:46 pm »

To refuel it by hand, just have the gas (Or battery/plutonium/hydrogen depending on your engine) in your inventory, access the car build menu, and move your cursor over the fuel storage, then press "f" when the word "refill" on the menu lights up.

When using a gas pump, maneuver your vehicle so you can stand next to both the pump a vehicle tile. When interacting with the pump, the option to refill your car with gas should appear. Then use the arrow keys (Not the keypad) to point to a vehicle tile (any will do).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: July 18, 2012, 09:32:39 pm »

To refuel it by hand, just have the gas (Or battery/plutonium/hydrogen depending on your engine) in your inventory, access the car build menu, and move your cursor over the fuel storage, then press "f" when the word "refill" on the menu lights up.

When using a gas pump, maneuver your vehicle so you can stand next to both the pump a vehicle tile. When interacting with the pump, the option to refill your car with gas should appear. Then use the arrow keys (Not the keypad) to point to a vehicle tile (any will do).

We will soon be able to use numpad for filling from pumps and you may have to exit the car menu and enter your character inventory for a moment if you have multiple units of fuel. All fixes should be in the next release.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: July 18, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »

Is there any way to skip "picking up a item" and just read or wear it? It gets irritating having to drop my weapon everytime I want to read a book or wear a piece of clothing.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10661 on: July 19, 2012, 12:37:37 am »

You should be able to wear items and read things from your inventory without it being in your hands.  Of course that's assuming your clothes have the volume space to keep more than a few small things in your inventory. 

No way I know of to just read things from the ground though.  But the latest version should actually ask you straight up if you want to just wear clothing if you don't have the inventory space when you try to pick it up.

Finally broke into a lab.  And since I had robust genetics I chugged some mutagen.  Ended up with scales, a long tail, heat dependent, and high metabolism.  I thought I was supposed to get more good mutations than bad, instead it seems about 50-50 here. Seems I traded a speed debuff and having to eat more for a bit of natural defense and a bit of dodge.  Got plenty of purifier, but I figure if I chug that I'll lose the good traits instead.   The scales and tail do match my avatar i guess...

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: July 19, 2012, 12:54:28 am »

My new zombie mower. Built from parts from motorcycles and a car :P. Really annoying going to town to get parts because of the zombies though. It has 4 wheels, a box, 3 lawn mowers, and a 2.5L combustion engine. Not much but its my first custom made vehicle.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: July 19, 2012, 02:25:14 am »

Is there any way to skip "picking up a item" and just read or wear it? It gets irritating having to drop my weapon everytime I want to read a book or wear a piece of clothing.

Reading this makes me think you're not using the latest version (the link the OP leads to an outdated version, even if it looks official). The most recent release can be found here.
Love, scriver~

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: July 19, 2012, 03:46:19 am »

You can make your own cars?  So does that mean I could put some extra armor or extra engines or some more trunks on my car I got from a parking lot?  Hell yes!  Where's my welder?  Lets see if I can add steel spears to the front, or widen a part of it into some kind of messed up zombie evicerator.  This car has a safe speed of 70 Mph, and I pretty consistently hit something every time I go more than 40, so I should be able to add weight easy.

Stick enough plating on the front of your car and then you'll be happily driving around at 90 all the time, only stopping to collect things from the now easily accessible building you just plowed through.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 777