Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263575 times)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10785 on: July 25, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »

Stupid wolves have killed my last 2 characters. DON'T get stranded in a field with them or you're toast, especially if you don't have a gun. I tried to avoid them by hiding in one of those houses in the middle of the woods, I had plenty of food so I stayed there for a little while. You could see the fuckers just pacing around outside the window waiting for me to open the door.... I think I spent 3 days there before I needed to get food, fortunately I brought a lot of plastic bottles filled with gasoline and I practically hoard rags for just such an occasion. I crafted some molotovs and lured the bastards in through the front door, chucked a molotov and ran out the back window. Wolves in this game are worse than zombies if you don't have a gun.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: July 25, 2012, 12:30:26 pm »

I once had an amazing spawn.  Like, got my evac shelter 2 tiles away from a parking lot, hardware store, and a lab with the doors wide open and bionics spilling out.  And then oh fuck wolves.  Two steps out of the shelter and there's like 5 of them.

I punched them all to death.

Wolves aren't bad if you know how to kite them.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: July 25, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

I think i have a *slight* suggestion.
AFAIK, schizophrenzic is the wrong name for the trait (and i spelled it wrong there), it should be bipolar.
Schizophrenzic would be that you get extremely frustrated when you dont do certain "rituals", bipolar is the mental disease with mood swings.
Tough you may need to change the medicine's name.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: July 25, 2012, 03:11:53 pm »

There's already bipolar-ness, it's called Mood Swings in-game. And I don't think that's what schizophrenia is, unless Google is completely wrong.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: July 25, 2012, 04:09:16 pm »

What Miauw is talking about is OCD, not schizophrenia. Schizophrenia causes you to react to outside stimuli, bipolar causes mood swings and OCD causes you to need to fulfill certain rituals.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: July 25, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »

Schizophrenzic would be that you get extremely frustrated when you dont do certain "rituals"
What you describe is called OCD, actually. Schizo manifests itself mostly with ingame-like effects.

Ninjaed.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10791 on: July 25, 2012, 04:45:06 pm »

Schizophrenzic would be that you get extremely frustrated when you dont do certain "rituals"
What you describe is called OCD, actually. Schizo manifests itself mostly with ingame-like effects.

Ninjaed.
Wouldn't OCD have sort of a form of manifestation in the game too, via the Hoarder trait?
Albeit, that wouldn't cover all things of OCD, but it seems to be one of the possible emergent parts of it.

Also, another mental disorder, sociopathy/psychopathy, partially also presented via the heartless trait. I think at least.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: July 25, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »

Aw yeah, found a bug, traced it to its source in code, figured out a fix, post on cata forum... And derp. It was fixed and changed in the source days ago. D:

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: July 26, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »

It hit autumn and it suddenly got dark a good 2 hours before I expected it to, now I'm driving home by flashlight navigating by minimap.  I can only see a couple tiles in front of my car.   Why don't the cars of the near future have headlights?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10794 on: July 26, 2012, 02:39:37 pm »

I think the lighting mod adds car lights. The current vanilla engine doesn't support lights that aren't centered on the player.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: July 26, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »

I heard of it, didn't know it put headlights on cars very nice.  I doubt it's save compatible though.  I'll wait til this guy enevitably dies some horrible death and try it out.

In other news my hole puncher car is complete! Designed to break into bank vaults.  I did a test run against a house.  And it was a rousing...a rousing...well a rousing something...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It might need to be heavier...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: July 26, 2012, 03:56:45 pm »

I DID have a seatbelt actually.  I just hit that house at something like 90.

My car can bust through walls pretty good, but I want to have a dedicated vehicle for the task, so I don't break my good car.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: July 26, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »

What was the thing you had on the front? Hard plating? Can't believe it didn't make at least a 1 wide hole.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: July 26, 2012, 04:06:29 pm »

Steel plating is the best I can find.  Chunks and lumps of metal seem to be impossible for me to find to make anything better.  What few helicopter crashes I found only contained frames.  And turrets seem to be too dangerous for what few pieces they give.

But yea, a ^ piece of steel plated frame.

The thing actually came out of that basically untouched.  Only the steel plate on the front took any damage at all.  Other than my now shattered eyeglasses, safety glasses, army helmet and bones of course.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:10:20 pm by Greiger »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: July 26, 2012, 04:06:57 pm »

I  think girlinhat said that grenades were great against those.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 777