Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263183 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10875 on: July 27, 2012, 09:37:37 pm »

I am currently holed up in a pawn shop, gunning down copbots with an S&W 619.
I have killed two copbots and one eyebot. This is much better than previous attempts.
wait.
for the Zeds
just wait.

There is a back room I'm using for storage with one door. Acceptable last stand zone?

Nevermind. They all died. The copbots. I left to go to a bar to the north and feed my self. Candy, chips, and soda. Perfectly healthy.
Beats the raw meat I'm eating. Someone forgot to pack his cooking pot when he embarked on The Bandwagon. >_<
"I'm hungry! Oh look, a stinking, irradiated mutant from hell!" *kills and butchers, eating the 'meat' raw*
And we try not to remember the things we eat in labs.
*The highly radioactive, grotesque, very smelly creature with bark-skin, a tail, small photosynthetic leaves, adamantium claws, a toolset implanted in his arm, and a beak hobbles off painfully to go confront another turret*
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:44:11 pm by alway »

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10876 on: July 27, 2012, 09:42:07 pm »

I am currently holed up in a pawn shop, gunning down copbots with an S&W 619.
I have killed two copbots and one eyebot. This is much better than previous attempts.
wait.
for the Zeds
just wait.

There is a back room I'm using for storage with one door. Acceptable last stand zone?

Nevermind. They all died. The copbots. I left to go to a bar to the north and feed my self. Candy, chips, and soda. Perfectly healthy.
Beats the raw meat I'm eating. Someone forgot to pack his cooking pot when he embarked on The Bandwagon. >_<
"I'm hungry! Oh look, a stinking, irradiated mutant from hell!" *kills and butchers, eating the 'meat' raw*
And we try not to remember the things we eat in labs.

I went to a military surplus store, and got some MREs (beef and veggie), some military pants (storage had been a problem), and a bottle of water.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: July 27, 2012, 10:14:12 pm »

It's been a while since I played but are cars in the actual game now or is it still a mod-only thing?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10878 on: July 27, 2012, 10:22:24 pm »

It's been a while since I played but are cars in the actual game now or is it still a mod-only thing?

yes vehicles are Vanilla now.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10879 on: July 27, 2012, 10:26:37 pm »

yes vehicles are Vanilla now.

Specifically the truck, car, motorcycle, and quad bike.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10880 on: July 27, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »

No, not just those; those are the vehicles which spawn on the map, but custom-built vehicles are in too. Hence The Bandwagon I've been hauling around on (see about 20 or 40 posts back), which you can do in vanilla. They've got storage, so you can pretty much put together mobile bases (like The Bandwagon) and can be armored to the point where you can tear through the walls of building with ease.

So yeah; now you can operate your own zombie-survivalist chop-shop.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: July 27, 2012, 10:53:31 pm »

Kiting a zombie into a trapfield is fun.
My tumblr.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10882 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:04 pm »

Yes it is.  Especially if it's a crossbow or beartrap, or if yer really lucky a shotgun trap might doubleblast and dismantle too.  Free shotguns, crossbows (+ammo maybe) and beartraps.   

Crossbows are excellent early ranged weapons for high strength characters, being almost completely silent and having reasonable stopping power.  And the bolts are sometimes retreivable too.  Same goes for bows.  Their downside is lower strength chars don't get the maximum range or damage out of bows, and reload crossbows slower.

Shotguns are a panic weapon, noisy enough to cause the game to spawn more zeds near you and make just about everything in 3 map squares come running, but 2 close up shots will down just about anything.  Modify one with a bayonet and they make respectible melee weapons too.

And beartraps are great for trapping the area near where you sleep.  They are loud enough to wake most folks up within a few tiles, do a little bit of damage, stun a zed that walks into it for a few turns, and are easy to set.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10883 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:27 pm »

It was a shotgun, and I was promptly mauled by a bear. Then centapedes.
My tumblr.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: July 27, 2012, 11:34:33 pm »

I'm thinking of turning a single barrel shotgun into a slug shooting sniper rifle for giggles. I wish weapon customization was more in-depth. I want to put a scope on my slug rifle.

Maybe add the ability to just generally improve guns very slightly all around using a mechanics/guns skill check? I want to polish the slide on my M1911 to a mirror sheen.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10885 on: July 27, 2012, 11:58:50 pm »

I'm thinking of turning a single barrel shotgun into a slug shooting sniper rifle for giggles. I wish weapon customization was more in-depth. I want to put a scope on my slug rifle.
skill check? I want to polish the slide on my M1911 to a mirror sheen.
Suggestion: Get dat mechanics skill up and craft explosive slugs.
And never use the shotgun at point blank for your own good.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10886 on: July 28, 2012, 12:52:17 am »

Well. Huh. I was chugging a bottle of vodka to replenish my MASSIVE internal battery. And I just keeled over dead suddenly. I understand death by alcohol poisoning, but you'd think there'd be more warning. Like vomiting, passing out, feeling sick. And it was so instantaneous. I don't think you'd just die halfway through chugging a bottle. It'd take minutes for it to kill you, plenty of time for me to activate my blood filter and remove the poison.

But nope, stopped breathing halfway through the bottle, and this old nigh immortal character is dead. Well there goes all those CBM's. Well over 200 battery, personal forcefields, healing nanos... I mean, there's tons of Hazmat, utilities and power systems lying around, but the ones I got from CBM finales hurts. At least I died in my base, so its all right there if a character stumbles into that area I guess...

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10887 on: July 28, 2012, 12:57:04 am »

I just slew a zombie horde with nothing but a 2x4. Is this normal?

EDIT: Nope, nevermind. There were more. I deaded.
My tumblr.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10888 on: July 28, 2012, 01:03:34 am »

I just slew a zombie horde with nothing but a 2x4. Is this normal?
Depends what you mean by horde, but yeah, that's not abnormal. If you have a couple of skill points and a respectable melee weapon (like a 2x4), you can demolish zombies by the hundreds, one by one. Add some body armor and a couple more points, and it doesn't have to be one by one. You'll be wounded, but normal zombie melee is one of the least likely things to kill you in this game.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: July 28, 2012, 01:12:44 am »

I had just started, and I might have killed half of the horde.
My tumblr.
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 777