Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448007 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2011, 07:31:43 am »

I finally got to space.

"Oh, cool. I made it."
"..."
"..."
"Errrr.... How do I get back down now?"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm currently 5000000 meters away from the earth. I've got about .01g pulling me back to earth and just spent the last of my fuel shooting in what I think is the direction of the earth. Going to have to leave this on overnight and see if I can pull this off.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2011, 07:33:21 am »

I don't think atmosphere is properly programmed yet, because having your parachute out always slows you down, even in space.  So remember to make your capsule and parachute the final stage, or it'll be a long long ride home.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2011, 07:55:37 am »

Guess what, rocketing straight towards the ground makes all three of them grin like idiots.

Someone, please sigg this.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2011, 08:01:35 am »

Hm, after some more testing I've come to the conclusion that while the big fuel tank and engine are too powerful, the small ones aren't powerful enough. I'm finding it very very difficult to build a rocket with them that can achieve something resembling an orbit, and utterly impossible without SRBs. But yeah, early version, more parts to come, etc. As a proof of concept, this is absolutely astonishing.

Oh and for some reason my graphics card overheats when i'm playing this, no matter what the settings, anyone else noticed this ?

I do seem to have a significant increase in fan noise when running the game, now that you mention it. I've had it running for a couple hours and my computer hasn't imploded, though, so I'm guessing it  copes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:27 am »

Oh and for some reason my graphics card overheats when i'm playing this, no matter what the settings, anyone else noticed this ?

I do seem to have a significant increase in fan noise when running the game, now that you mention it. I've had it running for a couple hours and my computer hasn't imploded, though, so I'm guessing it  copes.

Ditto.  The game seems very poorly optimized.  I figured my computer was way more than this game could tax at first, and used best settings and like 1600xsomething graphics.  The graphics card practically went to the moon itself just looking at the title screen.  With 1280x800 and "Simple" graphics, it still makes as much noise as a game like Stalker: CoP.  I imagine the planet itself is most of the problem, but the hanger room is nearly as bad.  It's like the game is rendering everything at once as best as possible all the time.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2011, 08:11:34 am »

Keep in mind this thing is in very early alpha. The devs are nowhere near the point where they can actually consider this.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2011, 08:17:08 am »

Hm, after some more testing I've come to the conclusion that while the big fuel tank and engine are too powerful, the small ones aren't powerful enough. I'm finding it very very difficult to build a rocket with them that can achieve something resembling an orbit, and utterly impossible without SRBs. But yeah, early version, more parts to come, etc. As a proof of concept, this is absolutely astonishing.

Tried having multiple stages of double fuel tank engines?
Also, conserving fuel is important. I'd definitely say it takes less fuel to thrust more higher up.
Personally I'm currently inadvertently in orbit so it's certainly possible. I'd bet 300km or higher would be necessary.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2011, 08:17:47 am »

we have lifd of

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2011, 08:18:29 am »

Lost in spaaaaaceeee

Anyways, yea its not really optimized, but I really can't wait to see its future versions, it could be very very very epic.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2011, 08:19:57 am »

Is there any way to keep several stacks together?
I used a three way splitter to have more power but as soon as i launch it kind of bends and i need to detach it as fast as i can before it rips the rocket apart, then i fire my second stage and the rocket starts to loose all sense of control, in under half a minute i manage to blow trough all of my stages (four or five i think) just hoping to survive, then the parachute opens and they land safely all the while there are parts raining all over the place XD

And i wish there was a 'several-vertical-parts-to-one-vertical-part' connectors, like the splitters but in reverse.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2011, 08:22:51 am »

at first I wondered why it crashed. Then I checked temperature... 73 C°!

it will take a while before it cools down...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2011, 08:32:18 am »

Spoiler: GENTLEMEN (click to show/hide)

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2011, 08:46:43 am »

How to achive orbit easily

C = command moudal
F = fuel
S = liquid fuel engine
T = tri thingy
D  = Decopuler

C
SAS
F
F
S
D
SAS(not needed)
T
F|F|F
S|S|S

turn on maxium thurst
enjoy
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:04 am »

Hm, maybe the mistake I made was going straight to a three stage design, the result being that the rocket was too heavy and the first stage barely managed to get it 2 km in the air.

Also, this game could really use some sort of autopilot. I absolutely love building the rockets and seeing how they perform, but trying to actually keep them on course using the clunky keyboard controls is another matter entirely. I'd be more than happy to let Jebediah do the piloting.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2011, 09:07:28 am »

Hm, maybe the mistake I made was going straight to a three stage design, the result being that the rocket was too heavy and the first stage barely managed to get it 2 km in the air.

Also, this game could really use some sort of autopilot. I absolutely love building the rockets and seeing how they perform, but trying to actually keep them on course using the clunky keyboard controls is another matter entirely. I'd be more than happy to let Jebediah do the piloting.

SAS and T is your friend
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 848