Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448726 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2011, 05:00:57 am »

I'd say that more than half the fun of this game not occupied by building giant deathtrap rockets and watching ginormous explosions is simply watching the faces of the Kerman brothers as they become the first Kerbals in SPAAAAAAAAAACE!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2011, 05:14:15 am »

Orbit! I am orbiting!  And I even have some fuel left.

not enough to get back to earth, sure, but it is fuel.
these brave kerbals died in the lonely cold of space for us all. Lets praise them.
( and launch a rescue rocket maybe)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2011, 05:19:47 am »

Don't forget the fun of building just barely functioning rockets that are practically ready to shake apart every second of liftoff yet somehow stay together and upright. Makes you want to scream along with Bob and Bill.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2011, 06:07:15 am »

Woot! The next version will have symmetry and putting parts betwee other parts! And fuel flows through couplers now1

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2011, 06:08:36 am »

Fantastic.

In other news, contrary to what was said earlier in the thread it appears it is indeed possible to escape the gravity well. My speed has stopped decreasing some time ago and currently I'm 25 000 K away from Kerbal. Bob and Bill are shitting their spacepants, Jeb doesn't seem to be bothered at all. Also contrary to what was said earlier, opening the chute does nothing in space.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:24:05 am by Sordid »

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2011, 06:18:44 am »

So apparently the limit of draw distance is 1500K. Kerbal has now disappeared from my universe. Still coasting at 5000 m/s towards the sun. Unsurprisingly, Jeb is happy about this.

Ship design?

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2011, 06:19:31 am »

I am 4000K away and I still loose speed, very little though. EVerybody is happy.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2011, 06:23:49 am »

Wait, is it possible to switch liquid engines on and off?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2011, 06:27:33 am »

Wait, is it possible to switch liquid engines on and off?
Shift and control, but I doubt that's what you're asking.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2011, 06:27:53 am »

Shift and Control are the liquid engine throttle.  If you throttle all the way back, the liquids shut off completely, and can be restarted later (with the throttle, not Spacebar).  I managed to float most of the way around the planet by constantly rotating up and down and throttling on and off to maintain altitude.  Bear in mind that the higher you get, the less resistance there is, so for orbital station-keeping and course corrections, a little dab'll do ya on the throttle.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2011, 06:30:21 am »

Cool, didn't know that before.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2011, 06:40:18 am »

So apparently the limit of draw distance is 1500K. Kerbal has now disappeared from my universe. Still coasting at 5000 m/s towards the sun. Unsurprisingly, Jeb is happy about this.

Ship design?

Oh dear... um... not really sure, now that most of it's burned up in the atmosphere. My space program has issues. I'll try to recreate it from memory.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2011, 06:46:47 am »

Ship design?
Oh dear... um... not really sure, now that most of it's burned up in the atmosphere. My space program has issues. I'll try to recreate it from memory.

Save and post it, if you would. I wanna see if it's possible to hit the sun by flying far enough.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2011, 06:59:18 am »

I made it all the way to 40000 K before I got bored and terminated the crew flight and I didn't seem to be getting closer at all.

Anyway, ship: http://www.mediafire.com/?o9a47b5i98p415p
Requires the additional parts linked to in the OP (namely the 2+1 Stack Couplers).

Engage SAS, throttle to 100%, and let 'er rip! The final stage will require some minor course corrections as it doesn't have a dedicated SAS module and the one in the Command Module is not powerful enough to keep it going straight; you should be going over 5300 m/s by the time the last of the fuel runs out. Detach the CM and coast.

Edit: Updated the ship a bit to hopefully reduce the wobble and stop it knocking its nozzles off. If it disintegrates, just try again. She'll hold together eventually.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:08:26 am by Sordid »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2011, 07:10:00 am »

For more laughs, I recommend checking out the Kerbal SP thread over on Something Awful.  Not least because it's where most of the extra mod parts came from.  And crazy shit like this.

Spoiler: Pics (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 848