Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448868 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #435 on: July 13, 2011, 08:28:51 pm »

The wiki for anyone that wants it. Doesn't have much yet though. We should just create a link to the 1st page of this forum in a help section. :D

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 13, 2011, 08:30:57 pm »

*Getting really tired of bay12ers trying to act smart, and failing. If you aren't going to post intelligently just remain silent. It's always the best policy.
Trying to catch people out with your awesome knowledge, and failing, just makes you look like an idiot.
Okay, seriously?
There is the quinticoupler by PeriapsisPrograde that fits on the bottom of any part and is textureless, and there is the 4+1 3m coupler from Sunday Punch.
They are two separate things.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 13, 2011, 08:31:34 pm »

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, HarvesteR posted a Mercator-esque projection of the Kerbal planet's surface.  Specifically the map skin wrapped onto the globe when viewed from way out in space.

Spoiler: Kerth? (click to show/hide)

He says he just made the heightmap from a random noise generator, and picked a launch location on a coast near the equator.  Any resemblance to terrestrial land masses is pure coincidence.
What about the half of the planet that's entirely water?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 13, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, HarvesteR posted a Mercator-esque projection of the Kerbal planet's surface.  Specifically the map skin wrapped onto the globe when viewed from way out in space.

Spoiler: Kerth? (click to show/hide)

He says he just made the heightmap from a random noise generator, and picked a launch location on a coast near the equator.  Any resemblance to terrestrial land masses is pure coincidence.
What about the half of the planet that's entirely water?
That's what Mercator projections do.
Look at the Pacific Ocean on our own maps.
In other news...
0.8.3 RC2
===================================== v0.8.3 RC2 =================================================

New:
* Added key to lock staging, to prevent accidental jettisoning (remember to set it off later). Set to Alt+L

Bug Fixes:
* Fixed A TON of bugs with the symmetry and ship construction in general. Game is stable again.
* Fixed a bug where parts would lose staging info and revert to default when returning from flight to the VAB. (the staging reset bug)
* Fixed a glitch introduced in 0.8.3 RC1 that allowed parts to be attached to frozen parts.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2011, 08:42:13 pm »

How do you guys stop ships from just slowly tipping over and then spinning out.  I've tried to pack on the SaS but it seems with any largeish rocket, it always ends up tipping over in flight, makes getting to orbit damn near impossible.
Nom nom nom

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48:47 pm »

Is there a way to see your horizontal velocity in flight? I don't see anything  but I'm probably missing it.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 13, 2011, 08:50:37 pm »

Is there a way to see your horizontal velocity in flight? I don't see anything  but I'm probably missing it.
There's one speed meter, and one velocity meter. The speed is obvious, and the globe has two yellow markers on it that show velocity. Go though the tutorial again, it does a fair job of explaining the velocity meter.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2011, 08:51:24 pm »

That velocity readout above the gyroscope is your total vector in the direction of the green arrow on said gyroscope.  There's no measure of specific horizontal velocity.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 13, 2011, 08:55:59 pm »

How do you guys stop ships from just slowly tipping over and then spinning out.  I've tried to pack on the SaS but it seems with any largeish rocket, it always ends up tipping over in flight, makes getting to orbit damn near impossible.

SRBs need more SASs, especially the large custom ones, and the LRBs generally don't need many but it still help to have some especially with a large rocket or several liquid thrusters.
Nothing important here, move along.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 13, 2011, 09:05:57 pm »

so where do you put SAS's to best use them?
Nom nom nom

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »

so where do you put SAS's to best use them?

I don't think that it matters, I usually put mine in the first stage, with the last engine to be decoupled.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 13, 2011, 09:10:51 pm »

they exert a force, so they have more leverage and are more effective if you place them near the edges instead of near the center.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 13, 2011, 09:11:23 pm »

they exert a force, so they have more leverage and are more effective if you place them near the edges instead of near the center.

Oops, way off on that one.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 13, 2011, 09:13:06 pm »

I attach them to the SRBS. Once those burn out, the extra SAS are basically just dead weight, so they get jettisoned along with the boosters.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 13, 2011, 09:19:31 pm »

I attach them to the SRBS. Once those burn out, the extra SAS are basically just dead weight, so they get jettisoned along with the boosters.

As experimentation has seemed to prove, on a three fuel tank rocket, an SAS accounts for a loss of 0.4 m/s^2 acceleration. So yes, keeping SAS on when you don't need them is a good way of lowering your effective range.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 848