Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448505 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #585 on: July 15, 2011, 05:57:24 pm »

The smart ones would be prepared for that and already have their ejection seats primed to the same button that releases the rocket from the plane.

PS: Thinking about how the future game will (supposedly) have a space-race type scenario between two or more Kerbal nations, I wonder if there will be a way to launch rockets at the same time? Were that the case, I'm quite sure that more than a few "spacecraft" would "veer off course" into the path of the much more valuable rockets being launched by the other nations.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:01:57 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 15, 2011, 06:07:20 pm »

The smart ones would be prepared for that and already have their ejection seats primed to the same button that releases the rocket from the plane.

PS: Thinking about how the future game will (supposedly) have a space-race type scenario between two or more Kerbal nations, I wonder if there will be a way to launch rockets at the same time? Were that the case, I'm quite sure that more than a few "spacecraft" would "veer off course" into the path of the much more valuable rockets being launched by the other nations.
Are you proposing sabotage, dear pickle?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 15, 2011, 06:08:53 pm »

I wouldn't put it above some. But, of course, I'm certain anyone who realized the...ruthlessness of their fellow man would of course have contingency plans set up in case such an unfortunate event were to occur.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 15, 2011, 06:32:19 pm »

I wouldn't put it above some. But, of course, I'm certain anyone who realized the...ruthlessness of their fellow man would of course have contingency plans set up in case such an unfortunate event were to occur.

I'm reminded of this UserFriendly.org strip.  Be nice if we could extort funds from local and foreign governments like that later on.  Who needs magma when I've got a few dozen ICBMs?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 15, 2011, 06:33:10 pm »

'Plane launch'?

It works in real life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've never heard of a rocket being launched from a plane into orbit, These little theoretical commercial planes, yes, but a real one? I don't see it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 15, 2011, 07:17:53 pm »

Managed to orbit the planet for the first time. Went around once. Launch to landing: 41 minutes. I overshot the launchpad and landed in the sea. I thought the parachute was never going to open.

It might not be much but I'm pleased.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 15, 2011, 07:48:43 pm »

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the wings provide a surprising amount of lift. I made a single tank, single stage, liquid fuel rocket to play around with, added 8 wings. I had a hard time controlling it myself, but for some reason, on my nose dive back towards the pad, after I ejected the capsule from the rocket, the rocket's speed and the lift from the wings caused the remains of the rocket to nose up and fly a surprising distance horizontally.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 15, 2011, 07:53:15 pm »

It's amazing because who would have thought that wings provide lift?  :p
Nom nom nom

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 15, 2011, 08:18:20 pm »

It's amazing because who would have thought that wings provide lift?  :p

It's not surprising that they do, just surprising how much.

Somehow I managed to get the rocket to do a slow loop around the launch pad, then let my capsule fall off and activated the parachute. My capsule with it's huge parachute hit the ground before the gliding rocket did.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 15, 2011, 08:20:16 pm »

I recall hearing that you could get a SAS in flight by putting a bunch of wings on it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 15, 2011, 08:23:01 pm »

Wait, what? Was the rocket firing at the time? Because they do a lot of sky writing if left to fly around on their own. The winglets are basically large tail fins, which shouldn't provide any lift but keep the rocket steady from changes in yaw and pitch. I'm thinking it just appeared like they were providing lift.

I forgot about that point that 1-time rockets cost less then reusable  :-[. I could be wrong but going up in a plane would probably still be more cost effective then 1-time boosters, depending on the size of the payload.  Still, there's that problem of what happens to the plane after you launch the rocket. AI taking over is the only viable option I can think of. I don't know how safe it would be to put a plane on auto-pilot, fly your rocket into orbit and switch back to the plane in time. That would be awesome though.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 15, 2011, 08:31:04 pm »

Wait, what? Was the rocket firing at the time? Because they do a lot of sky writing if left to fly around on their own. The winglets are basically large tail fins, which shouldn't provide any lift but keep the rocket steady from changes in yaw and pitch. I'm thinking it just appeared like they were providing lift.

Nope, I had shut the engines down and was simply trying to get it to glide.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 15, 2011, 08:33:04 pm »

An AI could easily land itself. You simply give it a waypoint at the far end of a runway, then give it a series of waypoints with directions to guide it into landing. Admittedly, I doubt that the developers would really care that much about coding an AI algorithm.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 15, 2011, 08:59:46 pm »

If you get to design the plane perhaps a parachute would work?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 848