Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448330 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #840 on: July 29, 2011, 09:44:55 pm »

It will be difficult but i'm almost hoping there will be no HUD's with orbit and trajectory information when the moon(s) are implimented. Eventually yes, but not at first just to see people try and fail miserably to get to them  :D. Not that I won't, but being familiar with orbiter will surely help. How to align your plane to that of the moon, finding the right amount of thrust in the correct orbital position so you end up where the moon will be (will be the most difficult part).

I'm hoping that the game will progress such that you have a series of mission objectives, with the goal of completing them with the smallest possible budget. I'm also hoping that specialized HUD equipment will be available as parts, such that if you want to splurge on it you can have fancy telemetry data and whatnot, or if you're cutting every corner you can do without proper gauges/safety equipment/skilled crewmembers and fly by the seat of your pants.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 29, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »

I still can't get this damn large rocket to take off, it just falls apart before launch, not even able to fix that bug by removing and replacing parts.
sunday punch, why are your parts so weak.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 29, 2011, 11:14:20 pm »

Probably because the connection strength isn't something he can affect?
Prop the rocket up on boosters or couplers, don't just sit it on the liquid engines.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 29, 2011, 11:21:06 pm »

Probably because the connection strength isn't something he can affect?
Prop the rocket up on boosters or couplers, don't just sit it on the liquid engines.

I have been actually, the connection always breaks on decouplers to the upper stages because decouplers are for some reason the weakest thing ever made. Tissue-paper and watered down paste weak.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 29, 2011, 11:25:49 pm »

I have been actually, the connection always breaks on decouplers to the upper stages because decouplers are for some reason the weakest thing ever made. Tissue-paper and watered down paste weak.
*shrug*

This thing gets me into an orbit easily, without dipping into the final stage tank/engine (hidden by the hollow decouplers) at all.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 30, 2011, 08:21:40 am »

That's a LOT smaller than my rocket.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 30, 2011, 08:49:51 am »

It's possible to do quite audacious things, with just a little modding:

I've also built a stratoplane, again, with minimal modding and the Yawmaster control module from Sunday Punch's set:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 30, 2011, 10:01:45 am »

I created a long burn solid rocket for the sole purpose of getting large long distance rockets into space. without this part I had to create I would have a 30 stage rocket to do the same thing.

Reached 5000 km and then decided to turn around and return to the planet.
Travel speed was ~2km/s constantly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:06:01 am by Saint »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 30, 2011, 10:23:42 am »

Hmm.

I might download some mods. Barely any parts in vanilla. Then again, I could just get orbiter...

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 30, 2011, 11:15:04 am »

Hmm.

I might download some mods. Barely any parts in vanilla. Then again, I could just get orbiter...

You can't build your own rockets in orbiter and they don't explode in hilarious and fun ways.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 30, 2011, 01:31:58 pm »

I think that what I want most of all, in terms of "toys to spend my space budget on", is more delicate stuff.  Show me my velocity down to the mm/sec.  Let me adjust my velocity in tiny amounts.  Show me, in arcseconds, what angle I'm moving relative to "straight down".  Oh, and lateral thrusters would be pretty cool.

...A numeric readout of my angle would be most important of all though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 30, 2011, 01:35:49 pm »

...A numeric readout of my angle would be most important of all though.
That's what the gyroscope on the middle-bottom is.
The green circle without the X in it is your current vector.

Granted, it's not exactly numeric, but..

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 30, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »

A really expensive part could be a device that lets you type in numeric directions for your ship to allow pinpoint accuracy, so the OCD people can put their rocket right where they want it. Granted, most people wouldn't use it, but I'm sure there would be a small market. Especially when someone wants to fly straight to the Kerbal equivalent of Mercury (Merkerbal?) from Kerbal/Kearth/etc.
Nothing important here, move along.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 30, 2011, 07:08:25 pm »

Hmm.

You can't build your own rockets in orbiter and they don't explode in hilarious and fun ways.

You can make your own rockets and things for orbiter, it's just not part of the main game and is more like the mods people make for this game.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 30, 2011, 10:04:39 pm »

You can make your own rockets and things for orbiter, it's just not part of the main game and is more like the mods people make for this game.
You can make your own [blank] in [any game that can be modded].  It's just a significant difficulty delta, and is more like the mods people make for [any game].
:P
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 848