Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443868 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1080 on: November 13, 2011, 11:52:08 pm »

Do you guys have a calculator or something to tell you how to rendezvous with the Moon?  I can get a rocket into an orbit that would reach it, but I have no damn clue how to purposefully intercept it.  Heck, I'd be happy with crashing into it.

If you're feeling lucky you can also gun it at a spot below Mun relative to the Kerbin horizon. That's the direction it travels relative to Kerbin. If your trajectory ends up in just the right spot, you will have a perfect intercept with Mun.
That's what happened with my Mun mission.

Though even if it's not a perfect intercept, you can make some adjustments on the fly to correct it.

Using a mod (silisko's or something like that) I managed to make a ship do an orbit around the Sun. But I was aiming for the moon. D:

That's pretty much what happened every time I missed Mun. A few times I did it on purpose.
I wonder if it's possible to entirely leave the solar system. My best attempt ended up being a pretty pathetic orbit, barely going beyond Kerbin orbit at its maximum.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1081 on: November 14, 2011, 12:44:06 am »

Hmmm... I seem to have had the Mun fling me further out into space.

What's strange about that is SOMEHOW, I am still in a very thin orbit of Kerbin, with an Apoapsis of 13,000,000,000m (and lowering rapidly as I'm typing, it used to be 15 billion). That is about the distance Kerbin is from the sun (or whatever it's named). In addition, the Periapsis lies between Kerbin and Mun.

Anyone else get anything silly like that?

Edit: Ooop, I'm in orbit of the sun now. The orbital calculations must have just been screwy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:49:31 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 14, 2011, 01:42:38 am »

You can leave the solar system. The Sun pulled me inside of itself, boosting my speed up very high, then I just flew out the other side and out of the solar system. 10000x speed and a hour later, I was still going.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 16, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »

You can leave the solar system. The Sun pulled me inside of itself, boosting my speed up very high, then I just flew out the other side and out of the solar system. 10000x speed and a hour later, I was still going.
Needs comic with Jebediah wearing sunglasses.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 16, 2011, 08:16:16 pm »

0.13 has been released, and had an interesting thing in the changelog.
"We've also added a new part, called a Fuel Line, which allows you to set up external liquid fuel tanks, Shuttle-style (Fuel tanks can now also beside-mounted)."
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:27 am »

Also likely the last "free" update as well. Might be a good time to get those pre-orders in if you're interested in further development.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 17, 2011, 12:30:34 am »

0.13 has been released, and had an interesting thing in the changelog.
"We've also added a new part, called a Fuel Line, which allows you to set up external liquid fuel tanks, Shuttle-style (Fuel tanks can now also beside-mounted)."

Oh good, and someone's already shown that the pendulum rocket fallacy is still a fallacy in KSP.

Also likely the last "free" update as well. Might be a good time to get those pre-orders in if you're interested in further development.

Yep.

Quote from: HarvesteR
As we've already announced earlier, this update marks the end of the free demo period. That is, we will continue to update KSP, but future updates will only be available for those who have ordered the game at our Store (and those who have already pre-ordered, of course).

The 0.13 version will remain available for free at the download page, as a demo version.
source
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:35:05 am by Peewee »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 17, 2011, 04:00:06 am »

Hmmm... I seem to have had the Mun fling me further out into space.

What's strange about that is SOMEHOW, I am still in a very thin orbit of Kerbin, with an Apoapsis of 13,000,000,000m (and lowering rapidly as I'm typing, it used to be 15 billion). That is about the distance Kerbin is from the sun (or whatever it's named). In addition, the Periapsis lies between Kerbin and Mun.

Anyone else get anything silly like that?

Edit: Ooop, I'm in orbit of the sun now. The orbital calculations must have just been screwy.

it's because only one body affects your path. get far enough from kerbin, and you'll be orbiting around sun. (around 15Mkm I believe)

you still have the same momentum as you had when leaving kerbin gravity, so that your speed will be the speed you were moving relative to kerbin+the speed that kerbin has relative to the sun (hence your orbit will be similar)

it's important to notice that your flight path will maintain momentum, but the orbiting drawing code will draw your path relative to the governing body, so it may seem that your craft had a huge change of direction, but it is just because your velocity now is no longer relative to the previous body and the body velocity you've left is now calculated as yours.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 17, 2011, 05:11:23 am »

It's more than just that. By going out of Kerbin's SoI (Sphere of Influence), you completely lose its gravitational pull. It's very easy to get stuck in a Sun orbit, because Kerbin will not pull you back like it would otherwise have, and the momentum you had will carry you too far from its SoI to get back without exorbitant fuel expenditure.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 17, 2011, 05:23:24 am »

it's not an undefined quantity. the dV should be around trice the absolute speed you had when you lost the kerbin influence for a full stop and return path or about the dV you had when you left kerbin if you wait to come out to the other side of the orbit.

the only important thing is not panicking because it's very easy at that point to burn too much and overshoot. first time I've tried that kind of catch up I reentered the kerbin influence too fast and I was shot off the other side because I couldn't slow quickly enough.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 17, 2011, 05:32:28 am »

Just recently started taking notice of this game, can someone give me a description of the game in a nutshell?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:53 am »

build silly contraptions having wings and rocket engine, fly them to the Mun and back for amusement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJM-j8PLW-c

note: the future complete version aim to have have a structured campaign mode, developers says. Until then, it's a space simulation sandbox. (arcade-y, but fun)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:05:06 am by LoSboccacc »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 17, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

Just recently started taking notice of this game, can someone give me a description of the game in a nutshell?

Ahem

"I see no way this could go wron- OH GOD IT BURNS"
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 19, 2011, 06:51:59 am »

Do I win a prize for reaching .0027C (821,128 m/s) with stock parts, or do I have to top a million for that?
http://imageshack.us/g/694/gravityk.png/

Note the altitude near the periapsis, nearly -52 million meters.

Apparently there is er, "air" resistance at the sun, because the apoapsis went from just above Kerth orbit to less than halfway between Kerth orbit and the star.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 19, 2011, 06:56:54 am »

Okay, new challenge:  go around Kerbal without leaving the athmosphere (Cannot go over 20 km). Only stock part allowed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 848