Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448404 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Here's my latest invention. Supersonic intercontinental heavy-ass jet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I say "heavy-ass", I mean it makes three pairs of landing gears in the back sink into the tarmac. For some reason. It also handles like a dream, the kind of dream you can have after a pint of Red Bull laced with LSD. You should see it wiggle when ASAS tries to keep it steady. But at least it flies fast.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

i want this game now and i dont even know WTFH is going on in HSBAFTDAGATSMAJ.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

So, does anyone have any help on how to get a useful amount of fuel into orbit?
I want to do it with a standard upwards pointing tube rocket. I always have less that a tank of fuel left for orbital maneuvers, because the added weight makes the extra engine rather useless.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ice balls vaporized by laser= propulsion. as for maneuvering, what maneuvering?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ice balls vaporized by laser= propulsion. as for maneuvering, what maneuvering?
Y'know, moving into and manipulating an orbit so you don't just go up an obscene distance then crash back down.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i know. you orbit and are affected by gravity. but that IS the plan for justabout everything we do there.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, does anyone have any help on how to get a useful amount of fuel into orbit?
I want to do it with a standard upwards pointing tube rocket. I always have less that a tank of fuel left for orbital maneuvers, because the added weight makes the extra engine rather useless.
Post a picture of your design, I'll tell you how to improve it.

Also, improved that heavy-ass jet:
Still can't land it though. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

look at NASA. they designed it, not me.

PLAN!
{}=ice[huge]
<=lazer
>=ports for vapor

{}<<{}
{}<<{}
 >>>>

see?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

...All my planes usually commence frantic breakdancing the moment I turn the ASAS off.

On the other hand, I have discovered that it can be remarkably easy to glide a large plane with quite a few support struts and four engines without any fuel left. My last plane did that for at least 22 minutes.

And yes, the plane cockpits ARE absurdly strong, compared to the normal command module. But then, the normal command module feels rather flimsy to me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And yes, the plane cockpits ARE absurdly strong, compared to the normal command module. But then, the normal command module feels rather flimsy to me.
I believe they were made by a paper modelling company and were designed as a display for models.
So yeah.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

keep in mind your kerbanoughts only weigh something like a quarter pound each...
Anyway, to the guy who's having trouble getting fuel into orbit, try thinking smaller, Make your top stage nothing but Parachute, command pod, ASAS, one tank and a rocket, then make the smallest rocket you can that barely manages to get into orbit with your top stage, put your RCS fuel and thrusters on this stage , then add a third stage capabable of getting everything up. If you're still having trouble try adding boosters, i like using 3 symmetrical stacks of fuel tanks with a rocket underneath. If you're having trouble lining very large/complex rockets up you should try making a single stack of fuel tanks then using the symmetry tool to clone/join them together.
I always had problems when i use either too many or not enough stages, i'm currently trying for a 5 stage rocket with 30 standard liquid rockets on the bottom.
It's damn hard to get them lined up right :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:36:26 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's a picture of my Mun rocket, for reference on efficient lifter design:
The outer ring is all detachable liquid fuel boosters, all engines in the boosters are gimballing, engines in the bottom stage are six straight burners and one gimballing in the center. Everything from the main stage up is what lands on the mun (though mostly depleted). The section on top is the return craft.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

my minmus design

carries a fair bit of fuel  :P

(the lander is larger because of the additional fuel needed to get back from minmus)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yesterday I bought the game, and experimented with planes. sadly,  I still haven't managed to make a good plane however.

But with rockets, I managed to land on the mun! sadly, the landing broke the engine, so the crew is stranded... but they died for kerbal!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nevermind what I said before about not being able to get enough fuel, turns out I was just using too much fuel to get altitude instead of putting myself in an orbit. I tried just having a 100,000m orbit instead and found I had enough fuel to adjust the orbit to 500,000, fly to the Mun, orbit around it and then come back.

So yay, I fixed my non-problem.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 848