Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448532 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1935 on: September 19, 2012, 01:31:44 am »

My crappy laptop can run it...barely. It's only a dual-core 2.3 Ghz processor and no real graphics card, but it will at least run using medium-sized rockets on minimum settings.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1936 on: September 19, 2012, 03:30:34 am »

I was also under the impression that light was more of a wave than a particle and thus might appear to have mass without actually having any. Also I learn my theoretical physics from the internet, so don't mind me.
Light is BOTH a wave and a particle... called wave/participle duality. This is most likely the most annoying part of physics.
And it gets worse, because any quantum sized particle works this way.
You can do experiments to show that both light and electrons are waves(the double slit experiment), but you can also do an experiment that shows that they are both particles.
I bet you many a physicist has gone insane thinking about this.

And no, light does not have momentum.
Momentum is giving by the equation:
P(momenta)=Mass * velocity.
or
E=½mv^2

in both equations we can see that if Mass is zero, then P and E will also be zero.

!! Math !!

I hope this redeems me of my stupid comments about Nuclear-Thermal drives. :)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: September 19, 2012, 03:41:08 am »

I was also under the impression that light was more of a wave than a particle and thus might appear to have mass without actually having any. Also I learn my theoretical physics from the internet, so don't mind me.
Light is BOTH a wave and a particle... called wave/participle duality. This is most likely the most annoying part of physics.
And it gets worse, because any quantum sized particle works this way.
You can do experiments to show that both light and electrons are waves(the double slit experiment), but you can also do an experiment that shows that they are both particles.
I bet you many a physicist has gone insane thinking about this.

or
E=½mv^2

in both equations we can see that if Mass is zero, then P and E will also be zero.

!! Math !!

I hope this redeems me of my stupid comments about Nuclear-Thermal drives. :)
Unfortunately this would mean that photons of light do not have any energy. You are unfortunately still not redeemed :P. The problem here is that you used the Newtonian formulas for kinetic energy and momentum. Quantum theory says that photons have a finite and non-zero energy and momentum, equal to h*c/wavelength and h/wavelength respectively (where h is Planck's constant).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: September 19, 2012, 03:47:39 am »

yes it does.
strawman: momentless photons would be instantly deflected by gravity, instead of gradually, so gravitational lenses would not work.

momentum: p = h / λ

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: September 19, 2012, 04:01:45 am »

I was not talking about energy in a light wave, i was talking about momentum of a light wave.
and the other equation was the kinetic energy.
as you point out you need a third equation to determine the amount of energy in a lightwave.

I was trying to prove with mass that photons does not have momentum, because they do not have mass, which is still very true.

Saying that this means light has no energy is true, if energy is only momentum. however it is not. energy takes many many forms.
You wouldn't say that the chemical energy in a chocolate bar is momentum either?

The first equation relates to the energy of a photon, which is not what we are discussing.
so I went searching for the second equation I found this on wikipedia:
For both massive and massless objects, relativistic momentum is related to the de Broglie wavelength λ by

p = h/\lambda\,,

Electromagnetic radiation (including visible light, ultraviolet light, and radio waves) is carried by photons. Even though photons (the particle aspect of light) have no mass, they still carry momentum. This leads to applications such as the solar sail.

I sure love when things come full circle!

I am still sticking to my first point though: Photons have no mass.(which you would agree with)

Also measuring light in Newtons seems weird, but I guess thats science for you  :)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: September 19, 2012, 07:10:08 am »

It doesn't really matter anyway. Right now this part is just a very efficient low thrust engine that uses standard fuel. With the word nuclear tacked on to it for some kind of explanation.
Magma is overrated.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:40 am »

wave/participle duality.

Why, it's both surf AND surfing! :P

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: September 19, 2012, 10:56:26 am »

it is intended for space navigation: it has a higher efficiency in void than other engines.

enough with this dual wave particle heresy. everyone knows that kerbal fuel tanks are filled with phlogiston

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: September 19, 2012, 11:24:04 am »

And everything is built of explodium.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: September 19, 2012, 12:10:37 pm »

This makes water landings, no matter how gentle, impossible.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: September 19, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »

I was not talking about energy in a light wave, i was talking about momentum of a light wave.
and the other equation was the kinetic energy.
as you point out you need a third equation to determine the amount of energy in a lightwave.

I was trying to prove with mass that photons does not have momentum, because they do not have mass, which is still very true.

Saying that this means light has no energy is true, if energy is only momentum. however it is not. energy takes many many forms.
You wouldn't say that the chemical energy in a chocolate bar is momentum either?

The first equation relates to the energy of a photon, which is not what we are discussing.
so I went searching for the second equation I found this on wikipedia:
For both massive and massless objects, relativistic momentum is related to the de Broglie wavelength λ by

p = h/\lambda\,,

Electromagnetic radiation (including visible light, ultraviolet light, and radio waves) is carried by photons. Even though photons (the particle aspect of light) have no mass, they still carry momentum. This leads to applications such as the solar sail.

I sure love when things come full circle!

I am still sticking to my first point though: Photons have no mass.(which you would agree with)

Also measuring light in Newtons seems weird, but I guess thats science for you  :)
Photons have no rest mass (aka invariant mass). All of your posts used Newtonian equations, which don't really cut it when dealing with things that move at the speed of light (or significant fractions thereof). Try including the Lorentz factor and see if that changes things.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: September 19, 2012, 12:52:14 pm »

So who else misses the old parts?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: September 19, 2012, 12:59:57 pm »

Me! Me!

Also, the silisko pack and the nova punch.

They made for really good looking rockets.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:42 pm »

This thing with 3-person pods being huge annoys me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 19, 2012, 01:19:12 pm »

not the other thing about them being fugly? (hugeness can be cured by 2x power 0.5 fuel consumption on engines :P)
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 848