Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448256 times)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2850 on: December 06, 2012, 12:01:31 pm »

I'd like heat to be a resource first. Being able to install radiators, or cooling vents(dumping liquid nitrogen) or redirecting heat from the engines to other nonimportant parts of the ship seems fun.

It might be even more fun if we got the ability to use fuel as an emergence cooling liquid.

FYI real life liquid rocket engines are already cooled by their own, usually supercooled fuel as it flowed in.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2851 on: December 06, 2012, 12:04:18 pm »

I'd like heat to be a resource first. Being able to install radiators, or cooling vents(dumping liquid nitrogen) or redirecting heat from the engines to other nonimportant parts of the ship seems fun.

It might be even more fun if we got the ability to use fuel as an emergence cooling liquid.
FYI real life liquid rocket engines are already cooled by their own, usually supercooled fuel as it flowed in.
Of course they are. As are KSP's engines, as long as you don't run them on full thrust.

But I meant evaporating liquid fuel in emergencies to cool the craft down, because you decided making a close orbit to the sun would work out fine, or something like that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: December 06, 2012, 12:20:48 pm »

For some reason, the idea of using fuel to cool things down (outside of the regular methods) makes me want to suggest oxygen tank stirrers as well. ;)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »

also works that way in cars, fuel absorb heats and gets expelled.

uhm, how you rename crafts and change their icon?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: December 06, 2012, 01:34:45 pm »

Right click the command pod and select "rename".
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: December 06, 2012, 01:34:58 pm »

also works that way in cars, fuel absorb heats and gets expelled.

uhm, how you rename crafts and change their icon?

Right click on the command module while in-mission, then click rename. Interestingly, there are icons for rovers and bases despite them not being officially supported.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: December 06, 2012, 01:44:34 pm »

"Tranquility Base, here.  The Eagle has landed.  So I'm just right clicking on it, changing the name to 'Tranquility' and the icon type to Base... do you know how little fuel I have in the decent stage?  Now I just need to extend the ladder... whoops!  I've just retracted the landing gear, and now my engine's detached...  Maybe I should send a rescue mission..."

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: December 06, 2012, 03:25:35 pm »

Is there an up to date tutorial on good rocket design anywhere? I think mine are overcomplicated somewhat.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2858 on: December 06, 2012, 04:58:41 pm »

Man, this has gotten so much better since last time I tried! I think I'll be trying to put an orbital space station into orbit... but first I'll need to be able to get some rocket into orbit... any rocket!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: December 06, 2012, 05:24:57 pm »

Man, this has gotten so much better since last time I tried! I think I'll be trying to put an orbital space station into orbit... but first I'll need to be able to get some rocket into orbit... any rocket!

Look up the Asparagus stalk rocket design. It's based on a real rocket design and is very efficient. Makes getting into orbit a lot easier, and it really isn't that hard to make.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: December 06, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »

Asparagus stalk: make rocket, add 4x symetry rockets (or more, but 4 is good to learn with at first). Set fuel lines so two outer rockets are fueling the one next to them, then the ones they are fueling should fuel the middle rocket. Set the decouplers up so that as the first rockets run out of fuel they get decoupled, making it so you drop the dead weight while still having multiple engines running. Repeat when the outer rockets are done and you'll still have the middle rocket with a full tank of fuel on it, and it doesn't have dead weight to push either.

If you load up the default "Kerbal X" rocket you can see the asparagus stalk system in place, look at the design and learn from it, try flying it and see how it works.

Also keep in mind that if you want a fuel efficient launch you shouldn't be going faster than terminal velocity.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2861 on: December 06, 2012, 06:28:01 pm »

Which forces one to ask, what is terminal velocity for a specific spaceship. The answer is, velocity relative the atmosphere when your ship is falling through it with no powered thrust.
You might see your ship moving at terminal velocity if you were to just turn off the engines mid-launch and seeing what your peak speed while falling down is.

How would you quickly find out your terminal velocity?

The kerbaliest way possible.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: December 06, 2012, 06:38:46 pm »

anybody else got the impression that kerbin is not inclined?

Launches as game progress launch at some angle when compared to previous launches, and I'm pretty sure my launches are perfect, as when I launch two near in time they get up extremely close.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: December 06, 2012, 06:41:22 pm »

Hmm, launching straight upwards seems to actually be quite effective if you don't mind only having one shot at anything and it being at insane speeds.
There's no angles to calculate anyway. Just timing. I managed to build up a rocket enough that launching straight up took it's orbit a good way of the distance towards Jools'. And this rocket wasn't even meant to do that. I was meant to carry things around Kerbin and it's moons.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2864 on: December 06, 2012, 06:43:24 pm »

Whoa, that's interesting stuff. How necessary is using those fuel line techniques? Why does that work best than having them all thrust at full speed? It seems each fuel+rocket assembly's thrust would compensate for its own weight, and then some. Since the weight of the remaining parts of the ship is constant, the more fuel/rocket assemblies you have, the less the impact of the remaining parts of the ship. But I guess this doesn't work. Something to do with drag and reducing terminal velocity? Also, I like the idea of one brave Kerbonaut sacrificing himself to transmit terminal velocity values. *salute*

My current design gets into space, but then I lack fuel to move into orbit or lack structural integrity to add more fuel!

Also, I am having massive difficulties controlling rotation along the altitude axis. I've got 4 of both types of RCS thrusters, but it only starts working once I ditch most engines. Any other tips?
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 848