Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443967 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2925 on: December 08, 2012, 01:56:55 pm »

Any estimates as to when .18.2 will come out?

Mainly because 18.1 is basically broken for me.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2926 on: December 08, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »

I want to tell you about Bill Kerman.

He was the first Kerbonaut to touch the moon. Unfortunately, he did so in pieces. He was a hero.

It was an epic voyage, where everything was going just fine and dandy until I tried to turn on the electric engines on my moon landers. It turns out electric energy isn't enough, OH NO, of course it isn't. It turns out you need some xenon something or other. What the heck! I mean, I get a spaceship to the Mun, it takes two landers in case of !!FUN!!, but then none of them work.

It discovered this after Bill Kerman EVA'd his way into one of the landers. He detached, turned on the engines, then realised batteries were empty. That's fine, he opened the solar panels and waited for a few hours. Then he tried turning them on again. NOTHING. NOTHING, I TELL YOU. So he EVA'd out again. Luckily, the decouplers didn't change orbit too much, so he had about 500m to get to the main craft.

By then, of course, the main craft was low on fuel. We tried to change orbits to see if we could catapult back to Kerbin. It was not to be. Instead, Bill Kerman, the GREAT Bill Kerman, decided he would step foot on the moon no matter what. The remaining fuel was used to lower his orbit into the Mun. And then...

Then Bill Kerman found out that parachutes don't work in space.

What a hero.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: December 08, 2012, 02:33:35 pm »

Nope, that adds lasers that simply do stuff like transfer fuel etc.

No destruction lasers.

It has sunbeam lasers, missiles and bombs. All can be controlled by the laser system.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: December 08, 2012, 03:07:36 pm »

while trying to make a single stage to orbit plane, I got to 1500m/s

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

what is the airspeed record on atmos engines?

(it has triple of every wing that the testing craft had, so it should also work on duna)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: December 08, 2012, 03:08:44 pm »

that is cool.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: December 08, 2012, 03:32:21 pm »

If you actually download Lazor you'll see parts for the bomb, missile, and sunbeam (which has its own sound effect).

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: December 08, 2012, 04:30:29 pm »

I've been investigating the wobbleness issues with large space station, and after a bit of testing I have realized that you can dock more than one clamp between two ships...
Time to start making space stations out of triangles people!

EDIT: ok, it works in theory, however it's really hard to line up the ships perfectly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:12:11 pm by ank »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:27 pm »

I heard that the storage unit thing is bugged and duplicated kerbals. Is this true?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: December 08, 2012, 05:16:44 pm »

I heard that the storage unit thing is bugged and duplicated kerbals. Is this true?

How is Kerbal cloning vats a bug?
Clearly it's a feature!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: December 08, 2012, 10:17:13 pm »

( any tip on making stations stable? besides perhaps not leaving last stage fuel tanks attached to it)
That was partially the reason behind my previous (as yet not seen to be answered) question of whether two docking port-connections could be made between docker and 'dockee'.  (But the other reason was whether this would also allow more precisely angled alignments.)

But I have a feeling that...

A B
A=B
A B
A=B
A B

...would make A and B hold together stiffer

And that (if you'll excuse the limitations of ASCII)....

A=BB
A   BB
A     BB
A      ║
A     CC
A   CC
A=CC

...could be a basis for a quite a bit stiffer meta-modular station, however you end up docking it together...

edited to add:
I've been investigating the wobbleness issues with large space station, and after a bit of testing I have realized that you can dock more than one clamp between two ships...
Time to start making space stations out of triangles people!

EDIT: ok, it works in theory, however it's really hard to line up the ships perfectly.
My question now answered, it seems...  And looks like I wasn't the only one to think this way.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:17:12 pm by Starver »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2935 on: December 09, 2012, 12:05:41 am »

I've been noticing this thing where apparently people attach docking ports to tri-coupler, and then dock with a similar tri-coupler port thing.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: December 09, 2012, 01:09:32 am »

I've been attempting an Apollo-style Mun mission. So far everything is going great. The landing went off without a hitch and Bob's off on a Munwalk to check out a strange rock formation that was spotted by a probe I sent earlier. The only thing I'm really worried about is the lander's ascent stage not having enough fuel to make it back to the command module, but that shouldn't be a problem.
I've also got a separate lander ready in orbit to perform a rescue mission or be used as a fuel tanker if need be, so I'm pretty confident Bill and Bob will be going home.

The only real problem I had was with the launch vehicle. Specifically, getting enough thrust while keeping the whole thing from exploding on the launchpad. Mainsail engines were just too unstable. I eventually figured out a way to attach five of the classic liquid fuel engines to the bottom of one of the big tanks and that worked.

How does everyone handle the mainsail engines? Whenever I have used them they make the rocket uncontrollable, dangerously wobbly and prone to spontaneous explosions, especially when there's more than one in a stage. Almost all of my attempts to use them have ended up as failures. I've basically sworn off of them because they're not worth the headache.
Everyone else, on the other hand, seems to have no problem clumping half a dozen of them together to make a working rocket. What am I doing wrong?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: December 09, 2012, 01:30:53 am »

Struts? Mainsails generally require some throttle control as well, to prevent overheating.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: December 09, 2012, 03:25:39 am »

I've been noticing this thing where apparently people attach docking ports to tri-coupler, and then dock with a similar tri-coupler port thing.

I'm gonna steal this. I've had problems with lining up ships, since they often to docked at an angle, the dual or tri-docking clamps would solve that, and only allow 2 or 3 orientations.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: December 09, 2012, 05:33:49 am »

Struts? Mainsails generally require some throttle control as well, to prevent overheating.

Strangely enough, only if attached to the big red fuel tank
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 848