Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448728 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2985 on: December 11, 2012, 11:51:26 am »

Inspired by the last picture in this analysis, I'm now wondering if I could use the docking clamp system to get a buggy-delivery of ridiculously large amounts of solid-fuel rockets bristling with attachment points over to some emptier (and launchtower-less) part of the KSC in order to put together a particularly large 'flying'-pancake design.

Not that it would need to be so large, using the standard rocket components, but I still want to do it...

A                         
                                                   :H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H:
                                                   :H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H:
                              A                     ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
 __ :H:        __   :H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H:             8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8
/__|=H:  ->   /__|: :H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H=H:       ->    8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8
o  o ^        o  o   ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^              ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ ß ϑ

(Picture number four in that sequence is an ASCII-art creation best left to the reader's imagination, as (like Fermat) I sadly do not have not enough room... ;))

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2986 on: December 11, 2012, 12:31:06 pm »

You can copy files from your VAB folder (rocket Vehicle Assembly Building) to your SPH (Space Plane Hanger) folder to be able to launch rockets from the runway. Large flat rockets made of solid boosters used to be great for drag racing to space.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:46:07 pm by Leonon »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: December 11, 2012, 12:37:13 pm »

Am I the only one who pretty much never uses RCS? For me it's a bit of a leftover from earlier versions where RCS fuel ran out incredibly quickly, and eventually I just gave up and resigned myself to using the tiny amount of rotation that you can get from a command module.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: December 11, 2012, 12:42:51 pm »

Nope, I'm not very RCS minded either. Only use it when there's no other way to keep the rocket stable.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: December 11, 2012, 12:44:23 pm »

Seeing all the confusion still roaming about how to dock, I'm considering a video tutorial on docking.

Would anybody be interested in this?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: December 11, 2012, 12:50:04 pm »

Spoiler: FINA FUCKING LEE (click to show/hide)
TIL that you absolutely need an ASAS on every section of the ship that has a command module in it.

I also learned that you ALWAYS check the fuel before undocking.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: December 11, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

Why so many struts?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: December 11, 2012, 12:56:40 pm »

Because wobbly as fuck.

I made the mainsail engine connected to the big fuel tank with a dock, which means I can use it as a handy tug, but it means the connection is too wobbly for takeoff, so struts.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: December 11, 2012, 01:02:57 pm »

Why so many struts?
Faraday cages have a tendency to provide superb stability, if you don't mind the looks. Although I use a lot more struts (and launch clamps) when using the Mainsail engine and Rockomax tanks as they're so darn unstable.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:28 pm »

Seems mechjeb can't rendezvous for shit. It says it's aligning the orbits, burns for a few seconds, then says it's done!

Mechjeb isn't as good as it used to be. It could use a few improvements in efficiency, perhaps some preplanning of manuevers, taking into account the centers of mass and thrust sources, which it never did since 0.17... Truth be told, you're better off using its orbit planner creatively.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2995 on: December 11, 2012, 03:43:38 pm »

I'd love mechjeb if all it did was follow my planned maneuvers.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:42 pm »

I finally decided to work on an interplanetary mission, using docking!

I'll have one ( or 2) engine module with 6 Nuclear engines, one ( or 2, depending on need) fuel module ( an orange tank at most, I guess), a crew module, a power/RCS storage module and if I manage to add it too, a lander!

I still haven't got a launch vehicle able to propel modules to the orbit I wanted to use. Maybe I should use the 80km orbit instead of 150k. it is clean too. but I risk falling into atmosphere.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07:14 pm »

it is (relatively) easy... assuming that both ships are stable, easy to steer and move, can use RCS for precise acceleration (ideally, you should dock at 0.1 m/s , in the direction of other ship's docking port); if you are familiar and can use well translation RCS commands; if you have quite a bit of patience.
if one of those fails, docking is hard.

( I am assuming you did synchronize orbits first, by killing relative velocity. on a big ship, that can also be quite a problem, since you may not be able to turn quickly during approach)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: December 11, 2012, 04:28:53 pm »

Use the shiny new mode which uses RCS translations only? I forget what it's called, but it's the button between staging and orbits, and it controls like EVA.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »

Related: http://what-if.xkcd.com/24/

Damn, already mentioned.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 848