Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443951 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3150 on: December 16, 2012, 10:47:57 am »

Oh god, I assumed ASAS was a better version of SAS. I've been putting tons of those on my ship! I guess that might account for some of the difficulty I've been having......

Subsequent ASAS will have no effect -- it's basically a guidance computer, you only need one.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3151 on: December 16, 2012, 11:11:50 am »

Oh god, I assumed ASAS was a better version of SAS. I've been putting tons of those on my ship! I guess that might account for some of the difficulty I've been having......

Subsequent ASAS will have no effect -- it's basically a guidance computer, you only need one.

Will extra ones actively harm? because I need one on the sation as well as the ship itself, and they both come up together.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: December 16, 2012, 11:23:05 am »

They won't interfere with each other or anything, as far as I know. I guess the biggest problem is that one of them is just extra weight, but in your case, it's a necessary part of the station payload.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 16, 2012, 11:33:58 am »

If you're not adverse to modded parts there is a toggle-capable ASAS on the SpacePort. I haven't tried the part but I'd imagine you could use action groups with it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 16, 2012, 11:37:10 am »

RCS/power/docking module added. This ship gets bigger and bigger! ( and now it can turn too. considering the size and lack of SAS, I hope I brought enough fuel)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
now, however, ship begins to lag. not too bad now, but I am afraid it won't handle the command module I originally planned ( 6 tin can pods), plus the launcher.
removing the mainsail engine will help, and so will removing the small solar panels I have on other modules. but not much.

do you think it would be worth sending only a smaller command module? like, 1 tin can and 3 docking ports ( plus communication equipment)?

or should I stubbornly deliver the whole thing, uncaring of the limits of my computer?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: December 16, 2012, 01:00:05 pm »

Looks good for deorbiting space junk.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3156 on: December 16, 2012, 01:08:47 pm »

Hahaha, thanks. I produce the best looking garbage known to kerb-kind!

I was sort of hoping it was not crash and burn, as those legs were pointing downwards, but once I dropped out of orbit the fuel tanks went first.

I'm actually starting to build very insect-like ships... I need those kinds of structures to keep the pieces that are to be delivered stable on top of the rocket! How do you guys do it?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: December 16, 2012, 01:33:12 pm »

Anyone willing to give me a small explanation of how the maneuver tool works. It keeps sending me into ridicously lower orbits

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: December 16, 2012, 01:36:40 pm »

Anyone willing to give me a small explanation of how the maneuver tool works. It keeps sending me into ridicously lower orbits

What's the maneuver tool?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: December 16, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »

Click on orbit. Add manoever. That thingy

Never mind, got a ship in orbit. More or less. How high does the athmosphere extend.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: December 16, 2012, 02:05:59 pm »

In .18 you can click anywhere on your orbit and add a maneuver. This open a tool which has six 'draggers'.

You can drag along each axis, and the tool will show you the orbit that will result from burning in that direction for that long (the longer you drag, the longer te burn)

The tool allows to compose drag along all the possible axis, and will show on the navball the direction your nose should be to align with the resulting burn vector, and a dV indication of how much you should burn

The most important thing to note is that when you use it for sone huge maneuver, like entering in orbit, your resulting burn will be imprecise (the tool assume incalculating the new orbit that the resulting speed change is instantaneous)

To compensate with this, it provides you an estimate of how much the burn will take: to minimize error you should anticipate your burn by half that amount (so if you have to turn engine on for 20s, start them 10s ahead of the maneuvering node)

Both information are show. Below the dV indicator; the estimated burn time however can be deceiving, specially if you dropped a stage and the new stage wasn't activated at full power

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: December 16, 2012, 02:30:30 pm »

So I was admiring the scenery while waiting for my latest failed mission to parachute to the ground, and I found this:

Anyone else seen this?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: December 16, 2012, 02:33:38 pm »

Yup, it's on a small island off the coast near the Kerbal Space Center.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: December 16, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »

andrea, it looks like you're going to Alpha Centauri.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:42:23 pm by Leonon »
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 848