Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448140 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3165 on: December 16, 2012, 02:37:17 pm »

Like this one?

Yeah, that's the one. Does it do anything, or is it just a scenery easter egg?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3166 on: December 16, 2012, 02:42:03 pm »

It's there to provide a target for learning how to make and fly a plane. it's a decent enough distance for somebody to try to fly to and land on it.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3167 on: December 16, 2012, 03:07:47 pm »

I've got a probe being slingshot by Duna.

The same Lunar probe I mentioned earlier from the failed Muen Mission.

If the control nodes hold true, and I have enough patience to deal with a wobbly ion engine.

It might end up orbiting IKE.

PS. I love and hate the new control nodes.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: December 16, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »

andrea, it looks like you're going to Alpha Centauri.

hehe, thank you.
sadly, I don't have enough fuel. in fact, I doubt it can even reach jool and come back if I pack a lander.

on a parallel save, I took the ship as you see it in the last screenshot to Duna in a test flight.
It works fairly well, and lag isn't that much. in fact, it accelerates faster than many of my other ships.
but I severly underestimated DV necessary to go to another planet. even more since I didn't bother checking silly things such as right positions to begin transition, and instead burned all the way.
now, even after dumping one of the engine stages, I am still not sure if I can make it back home.
I might consider dumping the now empty fuel module, but that means undocking and then redocking, since it is in the middle.

overall, I think that with good planning it can reach Duna and come back carrying a landing module.
that should be even less of a problem since I can use the docking ports I added to attach 3 more fuel tanks. big fuel tanks!
and who knows, I could add some more fuel between ship and lander. but I might go over part limit.

It seems that I am carrying WAY more RCS fuel than I need.
I am feeling the need to redesign the whole thing, to work better with less parts, but the thought of docking everything again makes me sick  :(

anyway, pictures!
this is my first flyby to another planet. EVER! not even a probe was sent, and now I boldly go where no kerbal has ever been before, using something that looks like a spaceship! so happy!
I'll be even happier when it is actually completed and does its voyage in the real save.

Spoiler:  burning to Duna (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Ike (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Duna orbit! (click to show/hide)

as you can see, an engine stage was dumped before the slowing down burn to enter Duna orbit ( 2200 DV... luckily 6 nuclear engines still push a lot)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:15:15 pm by andrea »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: December 16, 2012, 04:44:20 pm »

Yes, refueling ships with tankers is useful. doesn't really help far away missions , but it means, for example, that you can reuse ships.

Congratulations for your mun landing!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: December 16, 2012, 04:48:22 pm »

any landing is worth congratulating. even more if it is full of scientific stuff.

besides, that is still a landing more than me, in the new version :P

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: December 16, 2012, 05:13:36 pm »

Well. I have put a craft in Eve's orbit, alright. It didn't have nearly enough thrust to land successfully by my count, so I tried to go for it's moon, and wasted all of my ~3k dV trying to align with it's orbit. :V

Thankfully, that was a probe. Now to go where no kerbal has gone before! To Jool!

how i will land on that is a goddamn mystery.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: December 16, 2012, 05:15:16 pm »

I've tried, you blow up at -100 meters IIRC.

Anyway, can't you just use a parachute (or a few, depending on your craft's heaviness) to land on eve? Its atmosphere is 5 times as thick as Kerbin's, though IIRC it terminates a bit lower.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: December 16, 2012, 05:28:00 pm »

Nope. Periapsis is at ~100km, and I didn't even bring parachutes in the first place.

I'll post the design of my interstellar craft once my internet stops flipping out. Probably tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the collective can point out how ridiculous it is (and it quite is) and offer design advice~ :3

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: December 16, 2012, 05:28:30 pm »

Oh, if you're really good you can 'land' on Jool, apparently.

Jool does a lot of weird things. As a general rule, however, if you go in there fast you die horribly.

Nope. Periapsis is at ~100km, and I didn't even bring parachutes in the first place.

I'll post the design of my interstellar craft once my internet stops flipping out. Probably tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the collective can point out how ridiculous it is (and it quite is) and offer design advice~ :3

:3

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3175 on: December 16, 2012, 05:52:21 pm »

Oh yeah, I think andrea asked how many pieces my big ship is, and why there's no visible docking sections. The answer is that I sent the entire thing into orbit in one big chunk. I'm refueling the engines and stocking the modded orbital warehouse (800 freaking tons of material >.>) right now. Meanwhile, I've sent a mission to the moon. Screenshots soon :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: December 16, 2012, 05:53:12 pm »

you sent the whole thing in one chunck?
wow! I must see the launcher.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3177 on: December 16, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »

It's nothing special. I drew the design from the Jool colony ship someone linked a while ago, which is also where all my wings came from ;3
Four radially attached orange tanks, with one more on each side, and a smaller rockomax at the bottom to absorb the mainsail's heat, sonce orange tanks don't do that. There are twelve mainsails, and the five smaller liquid engines inside the ship complex's casing.
I think some were stacked two or so high.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:58:56 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3178 on: December 16, 2012, 05:58:31 pm »

So, I just realised it might be possible to build a walker by making use of custom actions and differently sized landing struts........

Hmmm........

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: December 16, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »

Just checked whenever connections would like to stay persistent this time around. They seemingly do.

Behold, the appropriately named SolarBuster mkIII:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thought it'd be fitting to post the .craft file, but it uses mods (notably these glowing lander-leg things attached to the primary payload) but they're there to make it easier on me, so I think I'll just go ahead and rework it to be fully vanilla and post it for your amusement. Part count is 260, take note of the homebrew asparagus - I didn't really know how to implement it, so I did what I could do best.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:14:50 pm by LordSlowpoke »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 848