Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448873 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3330 on: December 25, 2012, 02:24:49 pm »

No need to be pissy <_<;

I'm not even on a computer that can run KSP right now. I'll have to have your post up in front of me for reference, so I'm skim-reading.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3331 on: December 25, 2012, 03:02:40 pm »

I kinda glazed over most of that explanation (especially since I have no desire to use MechJeb and basically just wing my flights) -- but what is the point of the yellow multi point connecter if you can't dock with it?!

Wow. Why bother asking a question if you completely ignore the answer? I only used MechJeb to show thrust to weight. There are a lot of features that Mechjeb provides that don't involve it flying for you.

Hopefully that helped someone, because I put some time into.
I read it and found it helpful. it changed the way I do my rocket planning. Thanks for the write-up.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3332 on: December 25, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »

So... to make sure that I have understood this:

* TWR needs to stay above 1.0 to get liftoff
* TWR = Thrust / Weight; Is this as kN / Tons?
* Are all of the weights for parts given in tons? So a 1 unit weight = 1 Ton?

If that is all correct then I should be able to make more efficient rockets :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: December 25, 2012, 03:23:21 pm »

I think it's more likely to accelerate at higher altitudes due to lower air density so you should switch when the air intake approaches critical levels.

EDIT:

*Yes, that's plain old Newton's second law with zero drag.
*My physics teacher would have you beheaded for mixing Newtons with tons :P The thrust given by the engines are in Newton and the mass is in tons IIRC so if you multiply it by 10 (really 9.81 but dividing by 10 is a good worst-case) you get the right numerical value for the weight.
*They should be in tons IIRC. But Ton != Newton
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 03:31:12 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: December 25, 2012, 03:26:58 pm »

Yes, sort of and no.

A TWR of 1 is just enough to balance out your rocket against gravity, and any higher will send you going up.

Weight is measured in Newtons and Kilonewtons, not Kilograms and Tons.

The weight units are given in Kilonewtons, which at sea level on Kerbin is around ten times the mass (tons/kilograms)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3335 on: December 25, 2012, 03:50:21 pm »

Okay, I was 'almost' right, so I don't feel horrible :D Thanks for clearing that up for me
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: December 25, 2012, 05:12:59 pm »

for shear Thrust-to-weight ratio the tiny Rockomax 24-77 is nearly as good as the main sail, and is a lot easier to mount (it need to be as it will take 75 of them to mach 1 main sail)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: December 25, 2012, 09:21:11 pm »

Hopefully that helped someone, because I put some time into.
Helped me too, cheers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: December 25, 2012, 10:58:58 pm »

I honestly couldn't even guess the TWR of things in game without MechJeb. As far as I remember KSP only shows Mass. But like I said, if you don't want to use that you can always experimient with tall rockets and single engines.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: December 26, 2012, 01:40:38 am »

A lot of it for me is intuition and a good understanding of physics. that and just building stuff and seeing if it works.

edit: I found out the issue with the weird off balanceness of my space plane. For whatever reason, 18.2 makes the fuel lines that are symmetry attached draw fuel from one tank first then the other. Result was one heck of an unbalanced space plane, when i had one almost full tank of fuel on one side and an empty one on the other.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:25:50 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: December 26, 2012, 03:03:51 am »

I honestly couldn't even guess the TWR of things in game without MechJeb. As far as I remember KSP only shows Mass. But like I said, if you don't want to use that you can always experimient with tall rockets and single engines.
Max Available payload mass = 0.1*Net Thrust of all engines - Net mass of engines

I always use this simple formula to help me design, where payload mass is the whole rocket's mass without the engines. Still doesn't account for drag, but that makes it more complicated.
E.g. a single LV-T45 engine gives you 0.1*200 - 1.5 = 19.5 (tons) of available mass. Any more than that and your TWR will be less than 1 (not really since we divided by 10 and not 9.81 but it's better to be safe). Of course, you want to aim a little bit less than 19.5 or it's going to take a long time to accelerate up to high velocities. In this case, it's roughly four FL-T800 tanks and a Mk1 command pod.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:06:24 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: December 26, 2012, 08:17:45 am »

alright first rocket in 0.18.2 was supposed to take me to orbit, it took me to eve rather well

do you know the feeling you get when you've been sitting there doing manuevers for twenty minutes and then the split second you look away to check where exactly you've landed your ship notices you're on sloped land, tips over and explodes

going to need lander legs for once.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: December 26, 2012, 09:49:26 am »

This is a stupid question, but can someone upload MechJeb version 1.9.6 to a file-sharing website, so I can download it?
KSP official website, KSP Spaceport and official forums are off-line (at least for me).
Found it elsewhere, never mind. KSP official website is still down, though.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:49:53 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

GodlyTeapot

• Bay Watcher
  • "Don't feed the badger..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: December 26, 2012, 10:11:12 pm »

Well I landed on the Mun today.

I am pretty damn proud of that. I know it's not much compared to what most of you guys do, but you've gotta start somewhere right? Minmus is next in my sights, any advice? What's the gravity there like? Shall I tell Jeb to pack more or less landing fuel? I mean, I know he won't listen, but I feel I should tell him to do SOMETHING.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: December 26, 2012, 10:13:49 pm »

Gravity is quite a bit less, IIRC, so you won't need as much fuel to slow down/take off again. If you want an easy-ish landing, aim for the blue areas of Minmus; it's basically a frozen ocean, and thus very flat.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 848