Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1446466 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All your speed problem on these rover wheel are now fixed with this little link.

http://kerbalspaceport.com/racing-slicks-0-19-robaus-warehouse/
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

All your speed problem on these rover wheel are now fixed with this little link.

http://kerbalspaceport.com/racing-slicks-0-19-robaus-warehouse/
Not until it's more than a .cfg mod. I can do those myself.

(I can do the full-model mods myself too, technically, but they take time and effort - that's the point)

Also, I refitted the Turbo Buggy into a Rocket Buggy, and HyperEdited it onto Minmus. It... doesn't quite have what it takes to return to Kerbin by itself. Maybe with some better piloting and clever usage of the Mun, but my attempt left it stranded in space.

It looks cool on the Mun though, even if it can't leave it on its own.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:34:42 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome drag racer!!! I love it!

This sounds like a very hard, but very cool mission:
http://what-if.xkcd.com/
(link is only good for a week, after that you have to go back)

Any takers?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Landed on Minmus successfully for the first time :D Rather pleased. Also, how do people go about designing manned landers that can return to Kerbin from the Mun? I can get there and land no problem but can never get back.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Detach the lander from the main ship before landing on Minmus.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Getting BACK is the easy part. It only requires a tiny amount of delta-v compared to getting off kerbin

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also; I've matched orbits with the ship I want to dock with, how do I catch up with it?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Lower your orbit a little to catch up with it, increase it to let it catch up with you.

As soon as you are within ~3km of it you can decrease relative speed to 0m/s, move up close to it, and decrease speed again.

(decreasing relative speed = burning retrograde, decreasing distance = burning towards target)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Also; I've matched orbits with the ship I want to dock with, how do I catch up with it?
You essentially want to make your orbit eccentric, and then be patient.  You want your target's orbit to be circular, but your orbit to be an oval.  That way you'll cross orbits 4 times, and your periods should be different, so eventually you'll have a close crossing.

Then it's just a matter of more patience.  When you reach the approach position, click the speed indicator above the navball and set it to "target" then go to your retrograde and burn until you reach 0m/s, then face the target and burn until you reach something comfortable (probably 10~50m/s depending on distance).  Then wait for another close crossing, and burn retrograde and then burn target.  Eventually, you'll notice that your orbits are identical and a coming approach will be 0.0km.

When you change the velocity indicator to 'Target' it changes the prograde and retrograde markers to "relative velocity" so when you burn retrograde, you're not slowing down your ship (in its orbit), you're slowing down your ship compared to the target.

Also Youtube.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Hm. Decided to try out how well Bandicam works with KSP. Turns out, rather well. Other results of the experiment: determined that the jet-powered flying buggy needs better maneuverability; however its core survivability is rather top-notch. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Ah, the old adage is true: put a powerful enough engine on it, and anything can fly.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Ah, the old adage is true: put a powerful enough engine on it, and anything can fly.
New adage: engines are for noobs.

8)

Max speed I've seen it hit is about 4250 m/s, though it could go higher at great risk of ripping apart due to sheer floating point errors in the massive force calculations from drag and lift. Even trying to get up to speed below about 5000 meters results in the craft ripping itself apart from massive forces.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:04:56 pm by alway »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

you should post that on one of those perpetual motion machine forums :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Is that essentially a giant wing flapper?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Fixed wings; you roll the entire craft for thrust. It uses the whole lift normal force thing I've used in the past; the main difference is the smaller controlling craft (the smallest of the drones in this case), and the use of the small metal plates instead of the larger wings. This makes it incredibly stable, requiring few if any struts (they're mostly there to deal with the crazy forces at lower altitudes, as vibration of parts can break stuff). So they can be made smaller, faster, and stronger than ever before. At this point, the limiting factor is actually the small flaps being ripped from the wings by the massive forces.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 848