Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448235 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What uses Electricity anyway?

The ones I know,

Rover wheels.

Lights.

Ion engines.

Is that it?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

any sort of probe core as well
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I'm a little surprised that the scientific instruments and antennae don't take electricity.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Instruments use electricity if you turn them on. Antennae don't do anything so I don't think they should be consuming electricity either.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Well, the instruments weren't mentioned before, so...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Too little, too late.

You ignorant scoundrel.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Girlinhat, I've been experimenting with your JATOs, and with smaller rockets bicoupler JATOs are extremely awesome. I managed to get my tug core up to 200m/s before needing to dump them!

No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Hey Girlinhat, I've been experimenting with your JATOs, and with smaller rockets bicoupler JATOs are extremely awesome. I managed to get my tug core up to 200m/s before needing to dump them!
If you have more than one intake per jet engine, you'll get much more performance out of them. If you can level out before passing the jet's ceiling (which depends on how many intakes you have, 15-20km is a pretty good ceiling) you can get yourself up to orbital speed (2100m/s) quite easily before dropping the jets.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

If you have more than one intake per jet engine, you'll get much more performance out of them. If you can level out before passing the jet's ceiling (which depends on how many intakes you have, 15-20km is a pretty good ceiling) you can get yourself up to orbital speed (2100m/s) quite easily before dropping the jets.
10-12 intakes per jet engine on 1,1 TWR jet only craft can reach 60x40km "orbit" inside atmosphere without any wings or rockets. It's 50-70m/s of stable orbit so after adding some LV-N's ic can be a SSTO with 90-95% mass to orbit.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you don't feel like having 12 intakes for your engine to fly at 50km, just putting some radial intakes on that vertical design might help, i think, they may provide more air at the velocities and altitudes that it caps out at now.
Might not help either.
Magma is overrated.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

If you don't feel like having 12 intakes for your engine to fly at 50km, just putting some radial intakes on that vertical design might help, i think, they may provide more air at the velocities and altitudes that it caps out at now.
Might not help either.
Radial intakes are good for slow flight, the problem is they generate enormous drag at high speeds. Since turbojets gain more power with speed up until 1000m/s the effects cancel out, but going much faster than 1000m/s is problematic and going above 2000m/s on radials is almost impossible. For low number of intakes and only vertical JATO (i think) they are almost as good or better than ram intakes, but for horizontal acceleration only rams and circular intakes work well. (engine nacelles generate even more drag while giving less air so even if used as a visual part, it's better to close them off).

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

What does JATO mean? Jeb's Ass To Orbit?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jet-Assisted Take Off. Basically strapping several jet-powered boosters to your rocket

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Though I suppose "Jeb-Assisted Take-Off" is a nice spin on the meaning. :P

Technically these are just jet boosters. A rocket doesn't take off, it lifts off. JATO is an aviation term, usually used on large prop planes. These would be.. JALO. :P

And yes, there's RATO as well. Those are just the usual SRB boosters.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is a good level of acceleration to have while still in the atmosphere? I'm sucking really hard at fundamental rocket design right now.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 848